Truck cap reinforcement question

• HTML tutorial

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

To any pickup truck owners that run caps or toppers (whatever you call it); im interesting in putting a RTT from Burmis Outdoors on top but I am weary about the strength of the fiberglass with the dynamic weight of the tent while driving as well as the static weight of the tent with myself and possibly the wife sleeping inside as well.
Does anyone have experience or recommendations as to reinforcing the cap or the lack of need to do so?

Possible ideas I have come up with so far include:
-Bedliner the inside of the fiberglass (Bedliner is supposed to provide loads of strength to a product)
-Build some form of structural support cage from inside the cap as a skeleton to support and distribute the weight of the tent
-Buy an aluminum cap built for contractor use that is rated for excessive amounts of weight

Sell the Pickup and buy a JK lol (but seriously ive been considering it lately after test driving a Sahara)

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I bought the snugtop rebel with the sportsman package that doubles the thickness of the roof and has a weight capacity of 500lbs. My wife and I sleep in or rtt on it all the time and it’s held up great. It’s mounted on Yakima racks on snug tops rail system and has held up to 4 wheeling and constant use though the Yakima racks are over the rated capacity. If I already had a shell that I liked I’d probably look at just fabbing up a simple cage type reinforcement from box tubing inside the shell, cheap and pretty easy considering price I paid for the sportsman snugtop. I don’t think spray in bedliner would be good enough, maybe but it’s pretty flexible stuff. A contractor shell would work well, or I’ve always thought that a contractor type lumber rack that’s made to go over the shell and mounts on the bed rail between the shell and bed would work great for this. You could fab a floor for the front of the rack in front of the rtt for extra cargo. It’d also be great for attaching an awning, lights, road shower, sand ladders etc to. I regret not looking into this option more, though I’m happy with what I went with.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: HEYElliott