Trip Planning and Locked Gates

• HTML tutorial

CaptAdv

Rank 0

Traveler I

I live in Seattle and it seems like I'm always planning to go somewhere, drive there turn off the road and hit a locked gate. I figured this happens all over the US as well, so I thought I'd make something to help us locate locked gates so I made an app.

I have information about locked gates for the US, mostly federal data so far and I have a very basic app with a list of gates and gates on a map.

Here's a screenshot of a gate near me.

I am starting a closed beta (Android only right now) and if you'd like to give it a shot, PM me and I'll hook you up. There's no charge.

I'm looking for ideas on what to add, if you find it useful, etc.. Its early days, but I think this can be of use to everyone.

Cheers,
Patrick

S

SubeeBen

Awesome idea & app. I am located east of downtown San Diego & All of our backcountry roads were shut down thank to homeland security & border patrol.

CaptAdv

Rank 0

Traveler I

I show a bunch of gates around there...

How do you plan trips today? How would you want to work with this information to help you plan trips?

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Cool idea! Those locked gates are the bane of my existence when I string together a long route of ORV trails & Forest Service trails. I think I must've been denied by a dozen+ when I tried to cover most of the lower peninsula of Michigan via dirt. Doing those big double-backs are a bummer :disrelieved:

Reactions: CaptAdv

Ed Snider

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Alta, CA
Member #

I live in Seattle and it seems like I'm always planning to go somewhere, drive there turn off the road and hit a locked gate. I figured this happens all over the US as well, so I thought I'd make something to help us locate locked gates so I made an app.

I have information about locked gates for the US, mostly federal data so far and I have a very basic app with a list of gates and gates on a map.

Here's a screenshot of a gate near me.

I am starting a closed beta (Android only right now) and if you'd like to give it a shot, PM me and I'll hook you up. There's no charge.

I'm looking for ideas on what to add, if you find it useful, etc.. Its early days, but I think this can be of use to everyone.

Cheers,
Patrick
How about an option for seasonally opened/closed.

noah.wass

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Wass
Member #

Pm'd. Awesome idea. I'm headed out tomorrow onto some federal land in Washington state and am always concerned about gates being opened or closed.

CaptAdv

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'd do beta testing for central Sierra here in CA along the Interstate 80 corridor
Hey Ed! I can't PM you, but thank you so much for offering to try out and give feedback on Gate State. I need your email address, the one you use to login to the Google Play Store to add you to the test group. Please PM that to me, don't post it here. ;-)

I'm headed to the hills but I'll add you ASAP. Cheers!

CaptAdv

Rank 0

Traveler I

How about an option for seasonally opened/closed.
Great feedback. Lots of additional information about the gates is being pulled together. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of agencies and private land owners we'll be working with to get better information over time.