Trasharoo Spare Tyre Trash Bag

• HTML tutorial

Paul_FJxtreme

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dar es Salaam
Member #

Only leaving footprints in the sand has just got a lot easier with the Trasharoo Spare Tyre Trash Bag. It’s the perennial problem when camping; where to put your trash? You don’t want it in the car as your driving and well you just can’t leave it at the campsite. The only option is to take it with you and if you have a spare tyre hooked up the tail door then the Trasharoo could be the solution.

Installation is easy although on the FJ it’s a little awkward to get larger hands behind the spare wheel and to fasten and tighten the straps and they need to be tight to secure the bag correctly. Once it’s on, the bag has plenty of capacity to fit all the rubbish you can generate with the bag holding around 20kgs of waste! I lined mine with a heavy duty black bin liner to avoid spills on the bag but there are holes in the bag for drainage and I guess the bag can be cleaned.

The bag worked well (it’s a bag after all) and if you don’t want to put trash in the bag, you could also put recovery gear in it for easy access. The cost of the bag was USD 50 excluding shipping from Amazon and come in a number of different colours. I choose the olive green one.

My only criticism with the bag is that I don’t want to leave it on my spare wheel all the time and therefore when it’s time to bring the bag into the car, the bag is very dusty. It would be much better if I had a carport/garage to leave the bag in, but I guess I can’t blame Trasharoo for the fact that I don’t have a garage!!!

The bag is great quality with lots of expansion opportunities, the zips and buckles look like they would last a lifetime and the canvas feels very durable. All up the bag is great and is recommended for anyone camping or spending time in the wilderness.

Cemeb4dk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Aurora, Illinois
Member #

I have one and use it on my fj also. I find the clips not to be the best and easily can come unclipped. So as a safety measure I put a zip tie around the clip to make sure they cannot unclip

Sent from my SM-G935P using OB Talk mobile app

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Mine remains on the spare of my trailer which is garaged. My only complaint is that with minimal exposure to the sun I can still see it beginning to fade.

IMG_1261.JPG

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Even with storing the bag when not in use the material is not very durable with sun damage after minimal exposure to the sun.
I always wash my bag in soapy water after use and I think that helps in making it last .

I use small binder clips to hold the garbage bag inside the trasharoo.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Would you guys feel confident using a trasharoo for a couple of days in an environment where bears are an issue? How well do they seal?
They don't really seal. It's basically a large knapsack. The opening at the top (under the flap) is just a drawstring and doesn't even close all of the way due to the stiffness of the material. In fact, there are even drain holes at the bottom. I would not expect this to be bear proof or resistant in any way and would continue to follow normal bear protection procedures.

Reactions: Johnnie Canuck

MDJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

To add a couple features not mentioned...

I often use the small pockets and ripstop nylon loops on the outside of the bag to store things I need to get in a hurry when camping. Carabiners organized with coffee mugs to wrenches on the trail.

Lots of uses for these bags. I wash mine out at home with the hose after trips and hang it to dry completely. I'd recommend storing it inside (especially in dry, hot climates), as they will fade.