Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail(TWAT)

• HTML tutorial

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Does anybody have the overland route for the TWAT? You used to be able to get it from here: http://www.lonewolfexpeditions.com/twatgps.html but the site currently isn't working. I had it downloaded for a little while but stupid me deleted it thinking I could just redownload it when I needed it.

Thank you for anybody that can help.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I left a note on the site as well. I'm going to be in the area this weekend and was hoping to hit some of the trails. Although it won't likely happen since I don't think my company will like driving on these roads on our way to Bayfield.

Anyways, someone posted their route on gaia site, i pulled the KML down and loaded it in mymaps. This is likely done on 2-wheels so some of the tracks probably don't make sense.

I would love to do this at some point as well.

EDIT: removed the link, the GPX below is the real deal.

Last edited:

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ha yes I know the acronym isn't the greatest...or is it.

Anyway my plan is to head up it solo with a buddy. We are new to this overlanding thing and it looks like a great "trail" to test out the Gear. A lot of pavement and gravel with a few fire roads mixed in.

Vader_Runner Thank you for posting file. We are going to try running it on May 24th. The weather may be a factor but it should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vader_Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Evanston, IL
Member #

Cool. Are you rolling with a group?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may it do with a group depending on level of interest but at the same time I would rather do the route with only 2 other trucks, this way it can be as efficient as possible plus there are some cool things to see along the way.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I may it do with a group depending on level of interest but at the same time I would rather do the route with only 2 other trucks, this way it can be as efficient as possible plus there are some cool things to see along the way.
Right on. give a shout out when you need an extra truck once your dates get closer. Always looking for an excuse to get out there.

Reactions: kennedyma

Jscher5

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey guys. I know this thread is old but I'm a recent member and I saw this and knew I could contribute. I know Chad Berger well. He created the TWAT and is the principle at lone wolf. I just the TWAT with him a few weeks ago on adventure bikes. It's a great run. The challenge as I understand it for overland vehicles is many parts of it are ATV trails that the trucks could definitely get through from a function standpoint are restricted. If you get caught with a plated 4 wheel vehicle the DNR has wide authority to at a minimum ticket you to confiscating your vehicle. Chad is an expert at which counties allow what type of vehicle. I'll let him know his site was down and I'm happy to connect anyone to him. He is a great guy.

Vader_Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Evanston, IL
Member #

Hey guys. I know this thread is old but I'm a recent member and I saw this and knew I could contribute. I know Chad Berger well. He created the TWAT and is the principle at lone wolf. I just the TWAT with him a few weeks ago on adventure bikes. It's a great run. The challenge as I understand it for overland vehicles is many parts of it are ATV trails that the trucks could definitely get through from a function standpoint are restricted. If you get caught with a plated 4 wheel vehicle the DNR has wide authority to at a minimum ticket you to confiscating your vehicle. Chad is an expert at which counties allow what type of vehicle. I'll let him know his site was down and I'm happy to connect anyone to him. He is a great guy.
My buddy Daniel Peter was on that run a couple of weeks on his DS bike. I completed the TWAT 4x4 version about 3 weeks ago and I am already itching to do it again. I did a write up under Member Discussion forum

Jscher5

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nice!! Yes I know Daniel, and we had fun together. Small world. I would be curious to see the 4x4 route and the overlap it has with the bikes. I would love to take my family on the 4x 4 route.

Arnel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lynnwood, WA
Member #

My buddy Daniel Peter was on that run a couple of weeks on his DS bike. I completed the TWAT 4x4 version about 3 weeks ago and I am already itching to do it again. I did a write up under Member Discussion forum
That's usually a bad thing when you're itching after doing the TWAT? :tearsofjoy:
I was in Appleton all last week for work, and looked up routes in the area.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

What software are you guys running to use that file? I would like to download it to my iPhone or iPad and run it from there. But I am not sure what app to use.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jscher5

Rank 0

Traveler I

I personally have run the route on my garmin Montana. Most guys are running OsmAndMaps on iOS. I have also seen guys running Scenic and Pocket Earth. But OsmAndMaps is most popular based on my limited exposure. I have no quantitative data to suggest one app is more popular than the other. I recently downloaded all three just to start playing with them and see which one I like best.

Reactions: Lead K9

Vader_Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Evanston, IL
Member #

I used HEMA when did this route a month ago. Worked flawlessly. You can highlight the portion of the map you want to download for offline use and you can choose the zoom level and layers you want to download

Reactions: Lead K9