• HTML tutorial

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

Hello all!

Currently in the middle of planning a trip to complete the TAT! Vehicle is a 2016 4 door JK. If anybody has any tips, cool things to do or see along the way, or recommendations please let me know! The trip is slated to begin May 28th, and finish some time late June/Early July. We also then have to drive back to Wisconsin, and plan on stopping at a couple of parks the way back as well.

EDIT: I guess I should have included a few other things worth noting. I've done a fair amount of research on the TAT and all things related. I bought the maps and roll charts as a back up and am planning on using the GPS plots from Sam loaded onto a Garmin as the primary navigation.

As for the gear, here is what I have so far....

Jeep: Smittybilt SRC Gen 2 w/ 9.5k winch, Rhino Roof Rack w/ Backbone system. sPod 6 bank, ARB on board compressor, Front Runner tailgate table, Front runner interior rack, Trasharoo.
Soon to Come for the Jeep: CVT Roof Top tent, Full 2.5 inch suspension lift from Teraflex, couple LED lights, MaxTraxs.

General Stuff: Full compliment of tools, ARB recovery kit, ARB compressor kit w/ pressure gauge, ARB tire repair kit, and a basic camping kitchen (coleman stove, dry storage, 2- 5 gallon water jugs) and RTIC 75L cooler (no fridge/freezer in this trips budget :( ) Full Trauma Kit & Basic Med Bag. Extra fluids.

Monday I will be making a rear storage system and will be sure to get some pictures up of it.

I'm also wondering what spare parts I should bring with? I'm pretty mechanically inclined (heavy equipment mechanic turned Firefighter/Paramedic) and with a brand new Jeep I am not terribly worried about breakage. I have a general idea with fuses, clamps, bolts, etc. But that's about it.

Thanks!

Bob
Would you be willing to share your maps? I want to do this as well. On my bucket list. Curious if a ford raptor might be too wide for this trip. Would you kindly let us all know when you get back how long it took and any obstacles that may be too narrow. Would greatly appreciate it [emoji1] have a safe trip.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Captain Ken

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
Would you be willing to share your maps? I want to do this as well. On my bucket list. Curious if a ford raptor might be too wide for this trip. Would you kindly let us all know when you get back how long it took and any obstacles that may be too narrow. Would greatly appreciate it [emoji1] have a safe trip.
I bought the maps from Sam, so I don't think it would be right to share them openly. I know GPS Kevin has his version for free on the internet. Sam assures me that I'll be able to do the trail with the Raptor, and I feel that he is correct after all my research. There will likely be a few parts that I'll have to bypass, and are labeled as "big-bike" routes for the dual-sport guys. I don't doubt that I'll have a few extra pinstripes when I finish though.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

really Captain Ken?.......Mr. Sam has graciously made this possible for anyone to purchase his products & I am 100% would never make copies for any one. I do appreciate all his effort of research & his time put into these maps & roll charts for me or others to purchase. I am NOT airing these for anyone to copy. There is roll-charts along with 9 pages of maps for the Arkansas section of TAT. W\O the roll charts these maps would be pretty much useless for directions or understanding. I'm simply posting because my wife & I are excited about this trip & want to share our input that we are too doing the TAT in sections.

Last edited:

Captain Ken

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
really Captain Ken?.......Mr. Sam has graciously made this possible for anyone to purchase his products & I am 100% would never make copies for any one. I do appreciate all his effort of research & his time put into these maps & roll charts for me or others to purchase. I am NOT airing these for anyone to copy. There is roll-charts along with 9 pages of maps for the Arkansas section of TAT. W\O the roll charts these maps would be pretty much useless for directions or understanding. I'm simply posting because my wife & I are excited about this trip & want to share our input that we are too doing the TAT in sections.
I wasn't referring to you posting your photos of your maps. I was replying to the following post...

xathor

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Harvest, AL
Member #

I have no reservations sharing. I have made quite a few different KML's over the years watching various people's journeys and the framework for a fairly comprehensive website where people could upload their GPX/KML files and geotag pictures of their trips. I never finished as I later found much better alternatives to my website that I was creating. I have most of the GPX/KML's uploaded to Gaia GPS, just search my username.

I think the TAT is a wonderful idea, but it's somewhat poorly executed as many people find that roads on the map are blocked. If you bought a map today, in 2 years it would be totally different. You aren't purchasing the rights to drive on open roads, it's simply a path through free country. Today's maps go through Idaho and more north where previously the path went through Nevada primarily. I feel it should be YOUR choice to choose what path you want to take, there should be alternatives and people should share in what they encountered during their journey. I've never understood the people who try to protect and hide the maps like they feel they owe something to Sam. He started a good idea, but I feel people SHOULD share their path so that others can decide if they want to follow.

I just looked and I don't have the TAT map for TN and I am missing about 10% of Oklahoma. If you want to PM me, I can add the rest of the path to my maps.

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/folder/fe9d2e03-c0ca-4587-ace6-73177279c1cf/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

(The above map is several years out of date, if you have a newer copy and want to share for the community I would be more than happy adding the GPX to my above map.)

Reactions: Delux2769

xathor

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Harvest, AL
Member #

If you're interested in the TAT and stores about it, I would suggest checking out ADVrider.com. You'll find more information than you care to read about the TAT and general etiquette regarding fence lines.

Reactions: ArkansasDon

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
Also a plan of mine to do this. Just curious as to why the Nevada section of the route has been "Phased Out". Idaho is fine. Just wondering.

Also for the Southern Colorado area - Starting July is the Monsoon Rainy Season. They can get very heavy rain for most of July and August. Esp in the mountains. And I've seen it continue through November.

xathor

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Harvest, AL
Member #

I know that historically (at least on ADVrider.com) a lot of people complained about Nevada, in that there were VERY deep sand sections that were not easily passable by those on larger bikes. Also I believe there was a long section there that there was no fuel stop and it's pretty remote. I'd be willing to bet that the track was revised to exclude the sand area's and provide a fun route that isn't so remote to be dangerous.

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

I have no reservations sharing. I have made quite a few different KML's over the years watching various people's journeys and the framework for a fairly comprehensive website where people could upload their GPX/KML files and geotag pictures of their trips. I never finished as I later found much better alternatives to my website that I was creating. I have most of the GPX/KML's uploaded to Gaia GPS, just search my username.

I think the TAT is a wonderful idea, but it's somewhat poorly executed as many people find that roads on the map are blocked. If you bought a map today, in 2 years it would be totally different. You aren't purchasing the rights to drive on open roads, it's simply a path through free country. Today's maps go through Idaho and more north where previously the path went through Nevada primarily. I feel it should be YOUR choice to choose what path you want to take, there should be alternatives and people should share in what they encountered during their journey. I've never understood the people who try to protect and hide the maps like they feel they owe something to Sam. He started a good idea, but I feel people SHOULD share their path so that others can decide if they want to follow.

I just looked and I don't have the TAT map for TN and I am missing about 10% of Oklahoma. If you want to PM me, I can add the rest of the path to my maps.

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/folder/fe9d2e03-c0ca-4587-ace6-73177279c1cf/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

(The above map is several years out of date, if you have a newer copy and want to share for the community I would be more than happy adding the GPX to my above map.)
I agree with both. If he really wanted to protect it from sharing its not hard to do and I think it would serve better to all including himself if others could add updates to keep it current. A trail that long will not stay current for long and one bad route could set you back a bit just as if you winged it with general map. Of course more info is better then none so I'd still buy it. Thx

TonyC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, NY
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Correa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2PTJ
Service Branch
USAF, National Guard
Leaving Rochester, NY 24 August. Should be starting the TAT from Anderson, NC on 26 August. Will try to make it as far as Arkansas. Then heading back to Rochester via the scenic route.

TonyC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, NY
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Correa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2PTJ
Service Branch
USAF, National Guard
Nice rig. Good luck Rudy!
The adventure has started just made it to Oklahoma today.. picking up the TAT tomorrow morning..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dethspec

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Sorry to double post. Rudyr03, can you post some of the gear and upgrades you have on your JK? I am planning this trip myself in a 2015 JK.

Reactions: sabjku