DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
3 years ago my wife and I and some friends started the TAT. We spend one week a year on the trail. Basically the trail is really easy and fun so far. This coming May we will pick the trail back up in Muskogee Oklahoma. Helpful tips I have learned so far are to make sure you find a Campgroung at least an hour and a half before dark. Some of the camps are hard to find. Any way if anyone wants to join us this year let me know. We always want the group to grow. And if anyone has any specific questions about Tennessee, Mississippi, or Arkansas hit me up

Reactions: BWSracing

TonyC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, NY
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Correa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2PTJ
Service Branch
USAF, National Guard
My wife and are planning on leaving NY sometime in September. We figure two days for getting to the trail head, seven days on the trail, then take our time back to NY. We're allowing two weeks (14 days) for the entire trip. I have a few questions about gear (cooler, tools, spare parts...) and prepping the rig. I'll start off with, did you purchase the trail maps from Sam (http://www.transamtrail.com/store/) or GPSKevin?

Reactions: Seppy

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
My wife and are planning on leaving NY sometime in September. We figure two days for getting to the trail head, seven days on the trail, then take our time back to NY. We're allowing two weeks (14 days) for the entire trip. I have a few questions about gear (cooler, tools, spare parts...) and prepping the rig. I'll start off with, did you purchase the trail maps from Sam (http://www.transamtrail.com/store/) or GPSKevin?
I have both. I use gps mainly, but keep paper maps handy in a pinch. I carry enough tools to make any repairs that could arise on the trail. I also carry extra universal joints. Instead of a cooler try to find a 12 volt refrigerator that’s the size of a cooler

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Just came across this thread. Exciting to say the least. These types of trips are certainly in my retirement plans (currently 2-5 years down the road). You did an amazing job of packing. The only feedback I would have is to consider a 12v fridge. I didn't see mention in the posts and it looks like a Yeti-type cooler in the back. I have had such great luck with my Edgestar refrigerator that I'd recommend it, or similar for keeping food and "beverages" chilled for the trip. Good luck, keep us posted and as always, stay safe.

DangerBear028

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nolensville,Tennessee
Member #

3 years ago my wife and I and some friends started the TAT. We spend one week a year on the trail. Basically the trail is really easy and fun so far. This coming May we will pick the trail back up in Muskogee Oklahoma. Helpful tips I have learned so far are to make sure you find a Campgroung at least an hour and a half before dark. Some of the camps are hard to find. Any way if anyone wants to join us this year let me know. We always want the group to grow. And if anyone has any specific questions about Tennessee, Mississippi, or Arkansas hit me up
@Xjmatt I've heard there is a lot of paved road on the TN section? Is this true?

Last edited:

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Two friends and I rode the TAT 3 years ago on mid '80s BMW R80G/S adventure motorcycles; while on the TAT I called my wife and told her the two of us should drive the TAT in our '86 FJ60 Land Cruiser, because it is just such a fabulous way to see the US and it is beautiful, which we later did.

So my friends and I rode the entire length, we allowed a month and could have used more time. It was a fantastic trip.

It was a FAR easier trip with my wife in our Land Cruiser. Unfortunately we had to leave late in the year, in October, from TN, due to moving elderly parents, so we hit snow on Engineer's Pass in CO and could not get over the pinnacle, missing it by about 20 feet of elevation. I had the ARB locked, but the snow and the slope kept pushing us toward the steep drop off, so we came off the pass and spent some very fun time exploring towns in CO, which we love to do.

Key in driving the TAT is whether there is rain or not. We did not have much rain on either trip, and it was an easy drive in our Land Cruiser.

Sam, the originator of the TAT, will also tell you the route is constantly changing due to roads becoming not maintained because local government entities stop doing road mx, weather impacts the route, etc. So you must be prepared to figure it out yourself and make it work out, so it is a true adventure.

There were not many places where gas, food and lodging was far away. We camped most of the time.

SO don't plan all that much, it is not the Sahara Desert, but do get going :grinning:

You will have a blast.

TonyC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, NY
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Correa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2PTJ
Service Branch
USAF, National Guard
Two friends and I rode the TAT 3 years ago on mid '80s BMW R80G/S adventure motorcycles; while on the TAT I called my wife and told her the two of us should drive the TAT in our '86 FJ60 Land Cruiser, because it is just such a fabulous way to see the US and it is beautiful, which we later did.

So my friends and I rode the entire length, we allowed a month and could have used more time. It was a fantastic trip.

It was a FAR easier trip with my wife in our Land Cruiser. Unfortunately we had to leave late in the year, in October, from TN, due to moving elderly parents, so we hit snow on Engineer's Pass in CO and could not get over the pinnacle, missing it by about 20 feet of elevation. I had the ARB locked, but the snow and the slope kept pushing us toward the steep drop off, so we came off the pass and spent some very fun time exploring towns in CO, which we love to do.

Key in driving the TAT is whether there is rain or not. We did not have much rain on either trip, and it was an easy drive in our Land Cruiser.

Sam, the originator of the TAT, will also tell you the route is constantly changing due to roads becoming not maintained because local government entities stop doing road mx, weather impacts the route, etc. So you must be prepared to figure it out yourself and make it work out, so it is a true adventure.

There were not many places where gas, food and lodging was far away. We camped most of the time.

SO don't plan all that much, it is not the Sahara Desert, but do get going :grinning:

You will have a blast.
I plan on using a mostly stock JKU in September. Just adding a few skid plates, slightly more aggressive stock size tires, and a roof rack. Have a winch and associated recovery gear. Think that's good enough?

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Hi Rochester, NY
Yes you should be fine, but again, it all depends on if it is raining as that will be a game changer. BUT you can always stop forward motion and get a hotel until it clears. And rain will swell the water crossings, as well as making it far more muddy.
So go for it, and update us on your trip!! You'll have a ball!

It is seeing America like no other way, it is gorgeous. Stop and talk to folks, they and you will enjoy it!

TonyC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, NY
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Correa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2PTJ
Service Branch
USAF, National Guard
Thanks for getting back so quickly. Haven't done a trip like this since the CJ5 (decades ago). The wife and I are really excited about this. Will try our hand at videos and pics to keep all posted. Cheers!

Reactions: DangerBear028

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
More info as I am seeing interest in driving the TAT.

Overview about my equipment again:
I've done it with 2 friends; first, we were on our mid '80s BMW R80G/Ss, just 'cause! and we like them, and then my wife and I drove the TAT in our off road worthy Land Cruiser FJ60.

We had no problems driving our 60. It is raised maybe 3 inches (they all sag, so how much is it really raised?), ARB in the rear, Power Brute limited slip in the front, winch, and other mods that don't help overcoming obstacles, but you get the idea about obstacle ready our vehicle was (enough, you don't need a lot).

Just don't over obsess with having your vehicle properly equipped. From the east coast to Colorado there are a few water crossings, you actually will be disappointed until CO as the roads are tame and there are "too many" paved sections! What with the congestion there is no alternative, but it is pretty. Once in CO, it can be a bit of a challenge, but not really all that much.

The amount of rain will be the main factor! Higher water, mud, etc., will change everything, but you should already know that. "Civilization" will most always be close, especially in the eastern part. Out west, less.

AND the route is ALWAYS changing because a local municipality ran out of road maintenance money, a storm washed out a "barely passable before the storm "road"", a tree fell over the trail, etc.

Tom, the guy who started the TAT route is a VERY nice guy, and he travels the TAT as much as he can, figuring out "get and work arounds", and other requirements to keep the TAT routing intact, but it is a big job as he is in MS.

DO buy his GPS points AND AND his maps, since if you will want both if you need both. We did NOT buy both and regretted it, that was a grave tactical error!!

AND just be prepared to figure out how to keep going if the road "quits" due to a tree down, a wash out, or whatever. Take a tent, even if you want to hotel it, then you can always get a night's rest if comfy accommodations are not available.
We camped as much as possible.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. I'm in eastern PA and I will give out my phone if requested. Happy to help anyone out.

Last edited:

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
More info as I am seeing interest in driving the TAT.

Overview about my equipment again:
I've done it with 2 friends; first, we were on our mid '80s BMW R80G/Ss, just 'cause! and we like them, and then my wife and I drove the TAT in our off road worthy Land Cruiser FJ60.

We had no problems driving our 60. It is raised maybe 3 inches (they all sag, so how much is it really raised?), ARB in the rear, Power Brute limited slip in the rear, winch, and other mods that don't help overcoming obstacles, but you get the idea about obstacle ready our vehicle was (enough, you don't need a lot).

Just don't over obsess with having your vehicle properly equipped. From the east coast to Colorado there are a few water crossings, you actually will be disappointed until CO as the roads are tame and there are "too many" paved sections! What with the congestion there is no alternative, but it is pretty. Once in CO, it can be a bit of a challenge, but not really all that much.

The amount of rain will be the main factor! Higher water, mud, etc., will change everything, but you should already know that. "Civilization" will most always be close, especially in the eastern part. Out west, less.

AND the route is ALWAYS changing because a local municipality ran out of road maintenance money, a storm washed out a "barely passable before the storm "road"", a tree fell over the trail, etc.

Tom, the guy who started the TAT route is a VERY nice guy, and he travels the TAT as much as he can, figuring out "get and work arounds", and other requirements to keep the TAT routing intact, but it is a big job as he is in MS.

DO buy his GPS points AND AND his maps, since if you will want both if you need both. We did NOT buy both and regretted it, that was a grave tactical error!!

AND just be prepared to figure out how to keep going if the road "quits" due to a tree down, a wash out, or whatever. Take a tent, even if you want to hotel it, then you can always get a night's rest if comfy accommodations are not available.
We camped as much as possible.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. I'm in eastern PA and I will give out my phone if requested. Happy to help anyone out.
Absolutely thanks.. I will keep u in mind as it gets closer.. any gas station shortages ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
No gas shortages in the east, but keep a "full-ish" tank out west, but that pretty much always applies out west, at least with a stock gas tank .
Not too much of a worry overall, just be prudent.