trailspinTV's 6 Weeks on the TAT

• HTML tutorial

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

This is a trip I did last year as far as Moab. Although clearly you have put a great deal of planning in this, probably more than I did, I will try to briefly make a few comments. this is a beautiful and really awesome adventure. The nature of the trip really depends on The weather/rain. When dry you can make the trip to colorado in a subaru 4x4. When wet, some parts have the most challenging mud Ive ever been through for miles, i ran into a number of flooded roads and washed out bridges so be prepared to detour if its been raining- my experience is that you are going too early to make it from Salida , CO to Moab- for me the high mountain passes were still snowed in and were impassable. GPSKevin has already prepared a gps route that is available and Sam Corelli at TranAmtrail has really all the maps noting milage camping areas, gas stations/lodging .
He even has contacts in The western US who have opened there ranch/ farm for camping for those traveling the TAT. I camped on the Moore farm in Oklahoma... super nice family.
Have a great time and keep us posted. I am headed out to Salida in July to finish part of the TAT and the heading north on the continental divide trail to canada:). Hope to meet you on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is useful insight and exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I am using KevinGPS's routes and sticking to the "easy" choices and diverting where necessary. I have only planned up to Monticello, UT where we'll make the decision to head down to Expo West, or use the extra time to spend multiple days in Moab, in and around the Alpine Loop in CO, coastal Oregon, and possibly Yosemite. I fully expected the first half to be a muddy and washed out mess, which is typical of lower elevation and flat lands. We won't know until we're out there! Feel free to link privately, and maybe we will cross paths.

kcjoiner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Washington, United States
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Roy
Member #

I will be following this with great anticipation This is something I'd like to do in my Jeep as well as on either my dual sport or my adventure bike. I appreciate all the time and effort you are putting into this to document it for the benefit of others!

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

4/27/18 - TAT Trip T Minus 2 days: We added at least 5 HP to the rig by getting our graphics installed, so we can spend a little less time explaining why we're so loaded up and where to find us online. Did a little last-minute shopping at Dick's and then we hit a secret location in Beacon NY to do some late-night wheeling with close friends as a "going away" party. 8 mile round trip, 1500 ft elevation change, at night with heavy fog. Made for some interesting wheeling and some really cool shots!

Reactions: Arailt

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

4/28/18 TAT Trip T Minus 1 Day - We gave the rig a thorough wash after our late night Offroad trip, and started packing up. I had to drop my wife off at the airport and we said our teary eyed goodbyes. Hit the road from Newburgh NY and started making our way toward Cape Hatteras NC! We drove straight through for 9 hours and slept in the front seats of the Jeep for two hours at a rest stop in Columbia NC.

Reactions: Arailt

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

4/29/18 TAT Trip Day 1 - We woke up at a rest area just outside of Columbia NC, after getting around 2 hours of sleep in the front seats of the Jeep. We drove into the night from Newburgh NY to cover ground and get some groceries at Food Lion before heading down to the first ferry ride from Cape Hatteras to Ocracoke.

The first ferry had some mechanical issues so everyone was backed off and put onto a second ferry. This caused us to be just late enough to miss the ferry from Ocracoke to Cedar Island, setting us back 4 hours. As we pulled away from the terminal to go explore Ocracoke while we waited, we noticed a minor rattle had grown into a major clank/clunk on minor bumps. Our overloaded weight was causing the exhaust to bang on the track bar, and the springs to rub against it also. We decided we needed new springs before continuing.

After a Facebook post and a total stranger with a shop in Denver CO offering his help, we searched for a campsite close to Cedar Island and setttled at Cedar Point which was a beautiful spot.

The journey is the destination, and we are picking up experience quickly. The struggle is part of the fun!

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

Thank you everyone who tuned in! Sorry I haven’t been posting regular updates here but we noticed we weren’t getting much traffic and every second with LTE is precious in the backcountry. We maintained near-daily video uploads the entire trip and the finale (day 34) will be up tonight or tomorrow.

Due to the overwhelmingly positive response, we will be doing 3 videos a week during “down time” leading up to a 30 day trip leading up to SEMA titled “Expedition SEMA” with the FJ40 and Raptor from our TAT series.

In the mean time, we will be uploading videos explaining how the series was produced, as well as continuing the Jeep build. We will try to keep it as entertaining as the trip was! Hopefully a little less drama.

If you know, you know. ;)

If anyone has any questions just post here and I’ll do my best to answer them!

K1BWO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Androscoggin County, Maine, United States
First Name
Deane
Last Name
Gary
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1WO \\// GMRS-WRKU839
Service Branch
ARMY
I have been binge watching your videos since I got home from my 6 week stint of being out on the road as a trucker. Maybe I'll see you out on the road sometime

Reactions: trailspinTV