• HTML tutorial

m0to

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
Member #

Hello gang,
I have a lot of experience towing dual axel trailers. I haven't run into this feeling with those.

Recently we got a MOAB Fort XL and its a great trailer. What we've noticed is if we hit a bump on the road we get a harsh slamming feeling. Meaning, truck goes over bump, when the trailer wheels hit the bump it feels like it shoves the truck like it's loading the hitch. About what it would feel like if someone stood on the hitch and used their weight to load the suspension.

I've weighed the tongue weight and its at about 600lbs. So, I don't think we are over weight.

Could it just be we are still a little tongue heavy?

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
Yes. That seems tongue heavy. At 10-15% of overall trailer weight, that 600 lb. tongue weight would mean the trailer would be in the 5-6k lbs. ballpark. Your trailer isn't nearly that heavy right?

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
Yes. That seems tongue heavy. At 10-15% of overall trailer weight, that 600 lb. tongue weight would mean the trailer would be in the 5-6k lbs. ballpark. Your trailer isn't nearly that heavy right?
Yes. Not to be captain obvious, but can you shift the load back inside the trailer?

m0to

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
Member #

I'm running most of the weight over the axel. I have a feeling it's how they mounted the water jugs up towards the front of the tongue.

I should probably go weigh it again, because now that I think about it. 600lbs is a bit high as the trailer only weights 1200 dry. So, maybe I screwed up how I weighed it. I can easily push it around when it's all loaded up. I can't lift the tongue though (my dumbass tried, haha)

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hello gang,
I have a lot of experience towing dual axel trailers. I haven't run into this feeling with those.

Recently we got a MOAB Fort XL and its a great trailer. What we've noticed is if we hit a bump on the road we get a harsh slamming feeling. Meaning, truck goes over bump, when the trailer wheels hit the bump it feels like it shoves the truck like it's loading the hitch. About what it would feel like if someone stood on the hitch and used their weight to load the suspension.

I've weighed the tongue weight and its at about 600lbs. So, I don't think we are over weight.

Could it just be we are still a little tongue heavy?

This is a good article on weighing tongue weight. Scroll down to the diagram: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

What sort of hitch do you have? Most three-axis hitches like Max Couplers help ameliorate the push/lurch feeling a lunette/pintle or some ball hitches can give.

Also, dual axle trailers will ride and pull differently than your smaller single axle, if you think that might be part of the difference.

Reactions: m0to

m0to

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
Member #

I've still got a ball hitch on it. I'm going to order a Max Coupler. You may be right on what I am probably feeling is the slop from the ball hitch.

When I towed before it was in a Silverado with a 24' trailer and a weight distribution hitch. The bigger truck didn't really care what was back there.

I'm going to reweigh the tongue using the link above. Thank you @Road !

Then get the Max Coupler and see if that quiets it down.

Reactions: Road

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
If I’m insulting your intelligence with my comments, let me know, but it’s probably worth filling the water jugs on the front of the trailer before you weigh it.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've still got a ball hitch on it. I'm going to order a Max Coupler. You may be right on what I am probably feeling is the slop from the ball hitch.

When I towed before it was in a Silverado with a 24' trailer and a weight distribution hitch. The bigger truck didn't really care what was back there.

I'm going to reweigh the tongue using the link above. Thank you @Road !

Then get the Max Coupler and see if that quiets it down.
I have a Max Coupler on my XV-2 trailer, which weighs about the same as yours empty, 1200 lbs, and up to 3275 loaded and really like the smooth/no lurch hauling compared to typical ball hitch with the same tow vehicle.

You can get a members deal right now on Max Couplers from @Anchor Mtn: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/10-off-max-coupler.14095/#post-212411 . That 10% off makes it the lowest price I've seen.

Road

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
What tire pressure do you have the trailer tires at? You might reduce the pressure. For sure get the Max Coupler. That will also help things. I think my trailer tires are around 28-29 but I would have to get off my butt to go check. :)