Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

In addition, considering there are two very different mindsets of people in this community.

Liberal outdoors folks who dont own or use guns
Conservative outdoors folks who do and do

For the most part, there has been no preaching from either side of the gun store here, and I like that. I respect the rights of any person, so in as much as their rights do not infringe on my rights. Own a gun, own it. Dont push an agenda for the sake of changing my rights to match yours. The anti-gun narrative is to take away. The gun owners at least gives you a choice.

I carry becasue of my history in the social space. Many of those who are opposed to guns do NOT have an applicable experience to work with. Being fed an agenda, not matter the position, is usually only regurgitation of someone else's non applicable experience.

Its kind of like living in NY and never having traveled outside of the 5 boroughs. You cant simply be right, without experiencing more than the 5 boroughs and is the same as someone who grew up on the farm and is displaced from the day to day violence of major cities.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

How do you like the 88? I have been thinking of grabbing an 8rounder and just keeping it with my camping gear.
It is a really well rounded weapon. I am a big guy and it fit me well. Pistol grip and folding stock. It is excellent for close quarters but effective in a scattered area.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
It is a really well rounded weapon. I am a big guy and it fit me well. Pistol grip and folding stock. It is excellent for close quarters but effective in a scattered area.
How long have you had it and how well has it held up? I have had Mossberg M500s before and I really liked them. Its my understanding that the Maverick is just Mexican made Mossberg parts assembled in Texas, for about half the price with a few changes, I know the trigger group is different and with it the safety also.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
How long have you had it and how well has it held up? I have had Mossberg M500s before and I really liked them. Its my understanding that the Maverick is just Mexican made Mossberg parts assembled in Texas, for about half the price with a few changes, I know the trigger group is different and with it the safety also.
I bought a Maverick back in '90, cut the barrel back a hair and have it strictly as home defense. Haven't shot a whole lot thru it, but it shoots well and is pretty well made. Of course that was 30 yrs ago and I can only assume they are still built to the same specs. It doesn't feel as well made and as robust as my 870, but good enough for what I need it for. Its my go-to for shooting moccasins around the house.
IMG_4226.JPG

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Remington 870 pump action...inexpensive and always works :)
Yeah the 870 is great, but Mossberg also makes great stuff, that is widely used by military and law enforcement. If the Maverik has similar quality standards it would be impossible to beat it for the money in my opinion.

Reactions: Wallygator

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
they're all built well or they wouldn't be on the market, especially for as long as both have been. even the really cheap guns are fairly well made. i have an H&R 20 ga crack barrel i got as a kid back in '80 that was around $70 at Kmart. i have run a LOT of shells thru it and 40 yrs later it is still good as new with no maintenance other than swabbing the barrel a few times. sometimes cheap an simple actually turns out to be really good

IMG_4227.JPG

maddscot

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

McKinney, TX, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Stuart
Member #

Neither Liberal or Conservative, but I carry. I have a Texas CCW, but also have a few years of training from public & private service, tactical requirements, and being in the outdoors. My personal belief on CCW is you should carry when able/allowed if you took the time to take the class and get a card, but also appreciate those that take the course and decide not to (most if not all of it is about the laws, and prep, and not shooting). Where I separate from this is that if you DO carry, you should train, practice and build muscle memory, and be very capable to use, or not use the weapon. Learn a bit about situational awareness as well to stay out of situations..

That all being said, I have been thru-hiking, multi-day outings (hunting, hiking, camping etc.) and have never had a real situation to use my weapon due to threat. I will carry on the Jeep for overland, fishing, and being "out there" and know the history or issues about the area. This, like carrying choices of tools, food, and "stuff" will determine what I have in the vehicle and on my person. Always, my Walther PPS M2, other times a scout style rifle or back up revolver/semi-auto pistol.

Heck

Rank 0

Contributor I

Broken Bow, OK, USA
First Name
Berlin
Last Name
Heck
I carry a small revolver when camping, but it's last resort protect the family type gear. For myself I prefer my can of bear spray, within 30 feet is where I've usually had trouble. I can always say sorry with non-lethal.
I can run really fast also, I have not pride when it comes to survival.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I carry a small revolver when camping, but it's last resort protect the family type gear. For myself I prefer my can of bear spray, within 30 feet is where I've usually had trouble. I can always say sorry with non-lethal.
I can run really fast also, I have not pride when it comes to survival.
LOL, my daddy taught me to run if your outnumbered. Run till you find a big 2x4, then attack. Always worked for me.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Interesting thread, I've really enjoyed reading thru some of the posts in this thread. I do carry a few different things, depending on where or who I am with. Security isn't something I generally worry about when we are out. I have a 10 22 I like to bring just for target practice. I have a rifle I bring too if we are headed to bear and cougar country. Honestly I've never felt the need to carry around other people. And if I plan on drinking adult beverages they get locked up. And more often than not we just keep them in the rig. Less to worry about with kids and drunk adults roaming around lol. But it definitely has a place in my kit.

MAC_JD

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Mundelein, IL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
USN
i felt naked and vulnerable when I was out yesterday, while in the mall I found myself constantly checking my 6, and readjusting for situational awareness. I don’t carry a crossed state lines, but I am starting to think I need to get my CCL for neighboring states.
it was nice meeting you yesterday Jared, I look forward to more adventures with you. I forgot to ask how your rock hounding went yesterday.
Check to see what states have reciprocity and recognize your states CCL before spending the time and money on individual licenses. There are states that have non-resident permits that have very good reciprocity. J-D

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Check to see what states have reciprocity and recognize your states CCL before spending the time and money on individual licenses. There are states that have non-resident permits that have very good reciprocity. J-D
I already Have a Utah, Oregon, and Idaho CCL. I think the Utah one covers me for the majority of the states...

Outbound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alberta
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
H
I'm not the guy you asked, but I have a Maverick 88. I legitimately have over 12,000 rounds through it. I've deliberately beaten the crap out of it just to see how much abuse it can take. Dropped it, kicked it, thrown it, sunk it in water salt and fresh, sunk it in mud, frozen it, fired and reloaded it so fast I've overheated the barrel. You name it. I haven't cleaned it since the 5000 round point. It functions flawlessly and is my go to bush gun.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm not the guy you asked, but I have a Maverick 88. I legitimately have over 12,000 rounds through it. I've deliberately beaten the crap out of it just to see how much abuse it can take. Dropped it, kicked it, thrown it, sunk it in water salt and fresh, sunk it in mud, frozen it, fired and reloaded it so fast I've overheated the barrel. You name it. I haven't cleaned it since the 5000 round point. It functions flawlessly and is my go to bush gun.
I'd say that's a pretty good testamonial for it. Now I'll be looking out for a good buy on one. My old 2 shot clip and one in the chamber bolt action mossenburg has been my stand by for over 50 years and it was a good 20 years old when I wbought it. The Maverick 88 sounds like a good replacement for my Mossy.

Reactions: Outbound

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Thanks, sounds like it will be what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Outbound

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

This has been a really interesting thread to lurk. Heated at times, but always civil. I appreciate that.

I'm not a liberal, nor am I conservative, but I am a Canadian... Not that that's a political identity, :laughing: but it does mean I have quite a few more gun restrictions compared to my counterparts south of the border. (I guess I'd be somewhere on the left, but that's besides the point).

I'm interested to know how you fellow Canadians handle the gun situation when out overlanding? Out hiking? As I understand things, it's pretty difficult for us to get a handgun - and even if we do, the restrictions for transporting it are extremely tight? I've got a .22 and a 12 ga. Neither I'd want to walk around with for any considerable amount of time, let alone, have it take of space in the already small interior of a Subaru. I've thought about a collapsible rifle like the Chiappa X-caliber, M6, or Little badger which I could backpack with when out of the rig. Thoughts?

Truthfully, I've just never found a need to carry, yet. The only times I've been posed with threats of violence are when I've been in the city. The first time, I was walking with my friend down one of the main roads, broad daylight, after art classes. Two dudes a little younger than us started yelling racial epithets at us both (I'm as white as a sheet of paper, my friend is about as black as they come... so take that as you will). Things got heated when one brandished a knife. I got ready to smack him with my Mamiya camera (huge, 10 lb. chunk of steel and magnesium alloy) and they both promptly walked away.