Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I had forgotten all about air horns. I'll have to pick up a couple. Along with some spray.

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
Just saying... Search and rescue crew robbed at gunpoint during rescue along Pacific Crest Trail

If volunteer search and rescue personnel are targets, I understand (and agree) why some carry when in the outdoors. And FYI -- SAR operatives are dressed in volunteer Sheriff garb including embroidered LEO stars, orange shirts and typically green BDU's. The only visible difference between sworn LEO's and volunteers is the color of the embroidery on the name tags and the color of the embroidered Sheriff star.

I frequent the area this happened in and know many of the SAR personnel in Tehachapi. I'm a volunteer CERT trainer and EmComm (ECS) operator with the Fire Department and very familiar with the mannerisms of the SAR folks. I work with many of them quite often. They do not present as easy targets and are well trained in command presence. Regrettably there is a percentage of the population that has no respect for your hard work or the fact that you earned what is in your camp.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Show me from God's words, not mans!

I agree that mankind has caused nothing but injury. this is recognized at Ecclesiastes 8:9

The direction this thread has gone reminds me of 2 Timothy 3,

I am now unfollowing this because is is not productive, hasn't been in several pages.
Sir, I do appreciate your referances to the Bible, and I know the passages. I dont understand why you directed them at me precisely.
I don't consider that very Christian of you to be judging me or anyone else..

Yes the debate is rather hot but it is civil, at least in my opinion it is civil. I cant think of a time that mankind did not need prayer, even
under the best of times. We don't live in the best of times so even more prayer is needed. My Lord didnt give me brains and then say don't
use them. He didn't teach me to keep my mouth shut when I am attacked for my beliefs unless you believe that is what is meant by turn
the other cheek !

This OP is about trail security. Self defense is being discussed as well as the protection of ourselves and our families from a various beast of the wild. The question was as follows:

" I am wondering, what percentage of us carry weapons out on the trail for security reasons? Has anyone experienced or heard of any negative incidents happening ? "

The question never was "WHY" do you carry a weapon which was brought up by @Dilldog because he is personally opposed to firearms. He really didn't have any business injecting his beliefs into this conversation in the first place while demeaning mine, but it's a free country and anyone can participate with their views as long as they don't point fingers and judge, then they are asking for it. He did and he got called out on it. If someone degrades you for your believe in God are you going to shut up. That's where I stand and so be it ! If you have nothing to add to the conversation then please do unfollow this thread, it's your perogative.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Sir, I do appreciate your referances to the Bible, and I know the passages. I dont understand why you directed them at me precisely.

Yes the debate is rather hot but it is civil, at least in my opinion it is civil. I cant think of a time that mankind did not need prayer, even
under the best of times. We don't live in the best of times so even more prayer is needed. My Lord didnt give me brains and then say don't
use them. He didn't teach me to keep my mouth shut when I am attacked for my beliefs unless you believe that is what is meant by turn
the other cheek !

This OP is about trail security. Self defense is being discussed as well as the protection of ourselves and our families from a various beast of the wild. The question was as follows:

" I am wondering, what percentage of us carry weapons out on the trail for security reasons? Has anyone experienced or heard of any negative incidents happening ? "

The question never was "WHY" do you carry a weapon which was brought up by @Dilldog because he is personally opposed to firearms. He really didn't have any business injecting his beliefs into this conversation in the first place while demeaning mine, but it's a free country and anyone can participate with their views as long as they don't point fingers and judge, then they are asking for it. He did and he got called out on it. If someone degrades you for your believe in God are you going to shut up. That's where I stand and so be it ! If you have nothing to add to the conversation then please do unfollow this thread, it's your perogative.
wow, when did I ever say I was opposed to carrying firearms, when did I ever say I didn't want you doing that. Seriously, go back and reread what I wrote. I have carried for 13 years and competed in everything from action pistol to 50bmg long range. I am for sure pro individual ownership. Just because I disagree with someone's approach doesn't mean I disagree with the position.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
wow, when did I ever say I was opposed to carrying firearms, when did I ever say I didn't want you doing that. Seriously, go back and reread what I wrote. I have carried for 13 years and competed in everything from action pistol to 50bmg long range. I am for sure pro individual ownership. Just because I disagree with someone's approach doesn't mean I disagree with the position.
Dilldog, I am sorry I tagged you as the culprit, I am DEFINATELY WRONG in naming you as the instigator of this riff. In looking back it appears it was post # 89 that set me off and I somehow blamed you for his intolerance of firearms along the way. I do disagree with some of your statements but not at the level of any concern. I see your plight for harmony and because I was so mistaken I want to withdraw everything I have written to you, you were not the person it was intended. Please accept my apologies and to any others I may have offended during my confusion.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Dilldog, I am sorry I tagged you as the culprit, I am DEFINATELY WRONG in naming you as the instigator of this riff. In looking back it appears it was post # 89 that set me off and I somehow blamed you for his intolerance of firearms along the way. I do disagree with some of your statements but not at the level of any concern. I see your plight for harmony and because I was so mistaken I want to withdraw everything I have written to you, you were not the person it was intended. Please accept my apologies and to any others I may have offended during my confusion.
RESPECT seriously and thank you.
I have always said it's not the mistake that matters but how we recover and move on. That was a great recovery I have tons of respect for people who accept responsibility for a mistake. Don't worry, after that I harbor no ill will to you.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
RESPECT seriously and thank you.
I have always said it's not the mistake that matters but how we recover and move on. That was a great recovery I have tons of respect for people who accept responsibility for a mistake. Don't worry, after that I harbor no ill will to you.
Thank you, if you knew me you would know that I am usually much more considerate than to condemn anyone for their beliefs, let alone an innocent party. My position has always been to never judge someone when you have not walked in their shoes. So again I respectfully apologize for my error.

Reactions: Munga Brown

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
.... I dont understand why you directed them at me precisely.
First,
I quoted your post because you stated "...my God given right...." Let's think about this,
God created man in His image (loving),
Man has God given brain,
Man uses brain to make bombs and guns,
= God gave us bombs and guns......??? NOPE!

God gave us free will, and He ALLOWS us to use it how we choose. There WILL come a time when He will stop allowing things to happen that are bad. There is a huge difference in Giving and Allowing.

Second,
I truly apologize for making you feel judged. That was not my intent, nor am I being judgmental. Judgement is not mine!

I DO also carry in certain situations.. I carry a tool (P365). A tool, that can be used an equalizer, as a shield, as mechanism of defense of mine or my loved ones lives. Do I feel that God is okay with that decision? Not completely!
Because of that, I do train, using my tool as a less-lethal device. I do not want to end anybody's life, but my family is more important, to me, to God we are all equals.

The gist of it, for me, is that we all have different ideals, different moral standards, different beliefs. I thoroughly respect that! That is what makes a community. We are a community here on OB.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Thank you, if you knew me you would know that I am usually much more considerate than to condemn anyone for their beliefs, let alone an innocent party. My position has always been to never judge someone when you have not walked in their shoes. So again I respectfully apologize for my error.
I'm the same way, which is why I spoke up the way I did. And again thank you, it means a lot to me when someone admits a wrong, especially on the internet where it's easy to pretend it didn't happen.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
First,
I quoted your post because you stated "...my God given right...." Let's think about this,
God created man in His image (loving),
Man has God given brain,
Man uses brain to make bombs and guns,
= God gave us bombs and guns......??? NOPE!

God gave us free will, and He ALLOWS us to use it how we choose. There WILL come a time when He will stop allowing things to happen that are bad. There is a huge difference in Giving and Allowing.

Second,
I truly apologize for making you feel judged. That was not my intent, nor am I being judgmental. Judgement is not mine!

I DO also carry in certain situations.. I carry a tool (P365). A tool, that can be used an equalizer, as a shield, as mechanism of defense of mine or my loved ones lives. Do I feel that God is okay with that decision? Not completely!
Because of that, I do train, using my tool as a less-lethal device. I do not want to end anybody's life, but my family is more important, to me, to God we are all equals.

The gist of it, for me, is that we all have different ideals, different moral standards, different beliefs. I thoroughly respect that! That is what makes a community. We are a community here on OB.
I have no disagreement with ANYTHING you said here. My feelings and goals are no less than yours. My God given right "IS" to choose, and that is all I meant for it to mean. Thank you for your explanation of your comments, they are appreciated. It is what I had hoped you would do. If your reading this you will see that I errored in my post and have apologized for the confusion, which is probably why you reacted as you did. My apology is to you also. God bless the peace makers that cherish his blessings !

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
This OP is about trail security.
Really? Ha! There for a while I even forgot what it was originally about. :grinning:

Seriously though, it could have been about What is the Best Pizza Topping and still would have gotten close to the same replies. People are very passionate about their beliefs and people rarely agree on things and discussions always go in weird directions. Ask anyone who is married!
Despite my cynical humor, I truly look for the good in people and I see a lot of folk on here that speak from their heart and generally with very good intentions. Despite our differences, I think anyone who replied to this thread is the type of person that would help anyone out in a time of need and that is really the best anyone can ask for.
There is a lot of mutual respect on here, as just demonstrated by Lanlubber and Dilldog. Seeing stuff like that is what restores my faith in humanity.
That and carrying a really big gun! Just kidding...:grinning:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Really? Ha! There for a while I even forgot what it was originally about. :grinning:

Seriously though, it could have been about What is the Best Pizza Topping and still would have gotten close to the same replies. People are very passionate about their beliefs and people rarely agree on things and discussions always go in weird directions. Ask anyone who is married!
Despite my cynical humor, I truly look for the good in people and I see a lot of folk on here that speak from their heart and generally with very good intentions. Despite our differences, I think anyone who replied to this thread is the type of person that would help anyone out in a time of need and that is really the best anyone can ask for.
There is a lot of mutual respect on here, as just demonstrated by Lanlubber and Dilldog. Seeing stuff like that is what restores my faith in humanity.
That and carrying a really big gun! Just kidding...:grinning:
Thank you for that Grub. You can share my SPAM any day :yum:

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

North American predators (minus Grizzlies) RARELY attack people. Chances of being struck by lightning is just as likely. A coyote is rarely over 50 lbs, if I cant fend of the equivalent of a medium size dog, I deserve to be eaten. Never felt any danger from humans either. My biggest concern is leaving camp to fo hiking or wheeling. I have a pop up camper. It has a lock on the door but that wouldn't stop any thief.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Anyone here ever use bear spray on a bear or another aggressive animal?
Nope But I saw a can of it rupture in a buddy's saddle bags after a day of riding 2 track and barely maintained forest service roads on big adventure bikes. Made for an entertaining evening in camp watching him try to decontaminate his gear. I have to say it was quite effective in that instance :tearsofjoy: not something I would want to tangle with and I've been though the OC spray course when I was working on the aux security forces on NAS Fort Worth.