Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
So my initial overland plans of purchasing an FJ cruiser haven’t happened yet... i’m currently driving a 2015 outback 2.5 I limited. the FJ is still in the near future i hope, however i want to be able to still go do things and go places with my outback. with my outback being a very limited platform to aftermarket i’ve been thinking about some creative ideas. one of which is to buy a 5x8 teardrop camper. i’m planning on being very minimalistic in my setup and probably won’t put more than an additional 100 lbs to the trailer. i understand my car is rated for the overall trailer weight, and the overall towing capacity, however i’m wondering what kind of wear that’s going to put on the CVT transmission as they’re not really designed for towing. any input, feedback, suggestions, etc are all welcome.

Zach
East CT

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Interesting question. I see people towing giant trailers with small tow vehicles and think they’re nuts. Mine is rated at a little over 7,000 lbs towing capacity. I wouldn’t dream of even half of that because of the additional wear and tear on every suspension, drivetrain and steering component. However, if you’re gonna dump the Subaru soon, then why not? And, if you have good morals you’ll let the next owner know you towed with it. LOL personally I don’t yet trust the CVT transmissions to do much more than propel the vehicle they are in. Sounds like you may indeed be putting the cart before the horse eh?

OverlandEasternCT

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
Interesting question. I see people towing giant trailers with small tow vehicles and think they’re nuts. Mine is rated at a little over 7,000 lbs towing capacity. I wouldn’t dream of even half of that because of the additional wear and tear on every suspension, drivetrain and steering component. However, if you’re gonna dump the Subaru soon, then why not? And, if you have good morals you’ll let the next owner know you towed with it. LOL personally I don’t yet trust the CVT transmissions to do much more than propel the vehicle they are in. Sounds like you may indeed be putting the cart before the horse eh?
That’s my fear. The car is still low mileage and i have a ways right now till it’s fully paid off but i’m hoping to make some strides to make it quicker. i’ve heard of CVTs failing at normal driving just barely over 100,000 miles so that’s why i’m not sure. want to get the most out of what i have but i’m not sure my best option. according to subaru my outback is rated to tow 2700-3000 lbs... payload of up to 1,102 lbs. the 5x8 trailers i was looking at unloaded are about 900lbs. and like i said i want to keep it minimalistic. the camper could be used for years to come and would be very nice no matter what. just craving some serious adventure and going out and having a good time. tried backpacking but it’s just not my full forte and ground tents aren’t my favorite.

Reactions: MOAK