Launch Member

Contributor III

Huntsville, Utah
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Riedl
Member #

We would like to go to Toroweep Overlook for a overnite trip next week along the "Sunshine route" from Leeds Utah. Any knowledge on the route in winter in general or specifically current conditions would be appreciated.

Anyone wanna tag along?

Further

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Huntsville, Utah
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Riedl
Member #

Tuweep campground and Toroweep Overlook are both open year round. The road to these sites however are not always passable due mostly to mud from rain or snowmelt.
Its been pretty dry in St George and south so I'm thinking it MAY be passable.

OTG

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hurricane, Ut
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Reddish
95% of the route is just good gravel roads. It is not until you pass the ranger station that it gets ruff and then it is not really ruff. Just go prepared.

tigerowner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Grey
Member #

Just returned from Toroweep. Road is fine, rough and slow going past the Ranger station. The last 100 meters will stop all CUVs and had me wondering in my not so high LWB truck. Careful driving will get nearly all dedicated 4wd vehicles through. When visiting do yourself a favor and visit Nampaweep petroglyphs on trumbull mtn.

Niebeendend

Rank II

Member I

California, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
James
Member #

Thanks for the trip report, @tigerowner! We have a new Defender, so hoping we’ll make it through that last stretch without issue. Weak point is the tires - Goodyear Wrangler Adventures. Thinking about upgrading to Duratrecs.

tigerowner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Grey
Member #

Thanks for the trip report, @tigerowner! We have a new Defender, so hoping we’ll make it through that last stretch without issue. Weak point is the tires - Goodyear Wrangler Adventures. Thinking about upgrading to Duratrecs.
You will have no issue getting there in the Defender. Not sure how tough the OEM Wranglers are. Upgraded tires are always a good idea but not required in this case.

Niebeendend

Rank II

Member I

California, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
James
Member #

I forgot to update this thread after our May 2021 trip. The Defender did great, and everything matched up with what you reported. The roads there were graded washboard. As long as you can avoid rain/mud, it is smooth sailing. Closer to Toroweep campground, the road gets rockier but I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Subaru Outback make it down (the latter was probably at the limits of its capability).

IMG_4505.jpegIMG_4448.jpegIMG_4404.jpeg

Reactions: WilhelmB

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
For anyone considering this road, we took the rig shown in our avatar all the way to the end without issue. Just slow down. (Ram 3500 SRW diesel 4x4 with Lance 650 camper) In fact, the avatar photo was taken at the Tuweep campground.