Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So I'm a little curious, is anyone else seeing a kind of quantum, shift in the tool business?

I ask because I used to see Sears and Craftsman as kind of the moderately priced upper middle of the road for tools, and Snap-On/MAC/Facom as the upper end. I still seek out Snap-On for your more critical items (ratchets, torque wrenches, and the like) but all my non impact sockets are craftsman, all my wrenches, most of my screwdrivers, and pliers. Lately though, I'm noticing Sears never, EVER has anything in stock, you can't get "open stock" tools if say you lose a single socket...and it troubles me. Inadvertently I find my self going to Lowes and perusing the "Kobalt" stuff a lot, in fact, tonight I bought a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter there. While looking, I noticed that they also have a lifetime warranty, carry "easy read" sockets, and honestly, everything feels at least on par with Craftsman.

image.jpeg

Now a dose of perspective, I'm not a professional mechanic of any kind. If I were, I would really invest in Snap-On pretty much across the board, tolerances are better, and overall quality is better, no doubt. Plus that handy truck comes once a week and takes charge cards. But I AM a very capable home mechanic, and I want quality tools for my hard earned dollar. As I drive a Japanese truck it would be hypocritical of me to say that I'm only willing to buy made in America, as I often hear espoused, and honestly, if they are truly well made, I'm not really even concerned with where they come from. Some of my finest hand tools are Kowa Seiki, and Vessel, each proudly made in Japan. My nicer electrical screwdrivers are Wiha, very German, and my precision electronics screwdrivers are very much made in Taiwan.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I've noticed craftsman has slipped in some areas. My local OSH carries craftsman and the sears stocks a pretty good amount.
Lowe's cobalt tools seem to be decent and has a pretty good selection. I've got a few things in my toolbox from them.
Though as a professional snappy and matco have majority rule in my box

Reactions: RiverCityDave

Rodtheviking

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I have also been buying Kobalt tools for a while now, Sears has lost my business. There is never anything in stock at my local store, wanted to get a replacement chuck for my 2 year old drill, no luck, they don't even offer it for replacement, so I'm out a drill. And they wont warranty it because electrical tools only have a 1 year warranty now. Many other places to shop thank goodness. Sears also wanted 45.00 bucks for a replacement garage door remote, the whole opener with two remotes was only 110.00.. wth? I ended up getting a universal for 20 at Lowes.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

The last Craftsman set I bought, just for keeping at my cabin, was MADE IN CHINA.

So, I'd say the Kobalt is every bit as good, if not the SAME, and Lowes has better hours than Sears.

Living in Illinois, I hate to see Sears going downhill so far, so fast.

And so it goes......

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I have a fairly good size socket set from Kobalt in a case that I keep in the rig. I have been using this set for years and it's never let me down. I won't hesitate to buy their tools.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have a fairly good size socket set from Kobalt in a case that I keep in the rig. I have been using this set for years and it's never let me down. I won't hesitate to buy their tools.
Mark,

Funny you say that, I'm re stocking the truck set with Kobalt as we speak.

Ironically, since I posted this, I've gotten no less than 8 emails from "the Craftsman Club" encouraging me to take advantage of sales, etc.

Reactions: MarkW

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I have also been buying Kobalt tools for a while now, Sears has lost my business. There is never anything in stock at my local store, wanted to get a replacement chuck for my 2 year old drill, no luck, they don't even offer it for replacement, so I'm out a drill. And they wont warranty it because electrical tools only have a 1 year warranty now. Many other places to shop thank goodness. Sears also wanted 45.00 bucks for a replacement garage door remote, the whole opener with two remotes was only 110.00.. wth? I ended up getting a universal for 20 at Lowes.
I think the reason for Sears not having a replacement for your drill is that all Sears power tools are made by Ryobi now. At least that's the info I've received.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

My tool box is a hodge podge of brands...Craftsman, Mac, Snap on, Kolbalt, Stanley...and even the Husky brand from Home depot...I basically buy whatever is on sale at the time I need a tool. All of these brands come with a lifetime warranty...lol, yes even Husky. In fact I have a Husky Ratchet that I used as an emergency hammer to drive in metal tent stakes in a downpour...and the damn thing still works!

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Mark,

Funny you say that, I'm re stocking the truck set with Kobalt as we speak.

Ironically, since I posted this, I've gotten no less than 8 emails from "the Craftsman Club" encouraging me to take advantage of sales, etc.
They must be reading the posts here :dizzy:

Philbobagginz

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Brick, NJ
Member #

I have a Stanely socket set that I've had forever, it does what I need it to do and its lasted for me. I have bits and pieces from Pittsburgh also. No complaints from them either. I have Husky box wrenches that have held up with a beating.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I don't shop Sears anymore. Plus, Kmart, Farm n Fleet, and maybe another place carries Craftsman now. I think Sears is going down the tubes. I buy very little off the tool trucks. I use primarily Kobalt for my chrome socket sets. I buy Sunex impacts online and they are just as sturdy as Matco. Heck, I buy them for a lot cheaper off Amazon than what Matco charges for them. Tekton impacts have also held up well for me. I also have quite a few Pittsburgh sockets, ratchets and wrenches that I use daily that have never failed me. And, almost everything I buy and use has a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have a couple of Sunex T-handle ratchets that I love, that company is making some nice tools.

Reactions: ShawnR

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I don't shop Sears anymore. Plus, Kmart, Farm n Fleet, and maybe another place carries Craftsman now. I think Sears is going down the tubes. I buy very little off the tool trucks. I use primarily Kobalt for my chrome socket sets. I buy Sunex impacts online and they are just as sturdy as Matco. Heck, I buy them for a lot cheaper off Amazon than what Matco charges for them. Tekton impacts have also held up well for me. I also have quite a few Pittsburgh sockets, ratchets and wrenches that I use daily that have never failed me. And, almost everything I buy and use has a lifetime warranty.
Kmart and Sears are the same company now.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I buy craftsman when I can, usually from either the base exchange or my local ace. If I can't find what I need there I'll go to either Home Depot or Lowes and pick up Husky or Cobalt respectively. They seem good quality and carry a lifetime warranty. My dad has a full snap on set that I'm waiting to inherit. It's even engraved with my initials! (We have the same initials, super convenient) I'd buy tools off the snap on truck, but I have enough stuff already that when I need something I'm halfway through a project when I realize it and waiting a few days for the truck isn't efficient.

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

When my tools made me money I had no problem with paying for snap on. Now unless I need precision, I buy from whatever big box store is closer. I work at a shop still just not turning wrenches and I know allot of those guys buy from snap on for the everyday use tools and harbor freight for the now and agains...
That reminds me I better go get some Sears stuff warrantied before I can't find a Sears.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I've noticed craftsman has slipped in some areas....
I broke the mechanism on my Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet and broke the nipple (is that what it's called) on the 3/8" drive ratchet. I have a Stanley (wal-mart) brand set that has lasted me a decade of smooth abuse (and possibly one or two "light tosses" across the garage). The only craft left in the Craftsman brand is the guy who is translating all the warranty cards from Mandrin.[/QUOTE]

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I am hard on tools.

Damn hard...at times... 4 lb sledge hammer on 3/8 drive ratchet hard...

I get most of my general hand tools (household) from kobalt. I would say 60% of my stuff is craftsman. And 30% is northern tool... while the final 10% is bluepoint

We wont get into machine tooling for lathes milling machines and the like lol

I like all of it, my brother inlaw makes a living at the GM dealer with cornwell tools and loves em

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Back in the mid 80's I bought myself a Craftsman's 3 drawer tool box and a set of Metric/ SAE socket set and wrenches. The tool box is beat to hell and the tools still work great. It's been a while since I bought any new Craftsman tools so I wondering if they are still made in the USA? At the same time I bought a Black & Decker Quantum drill. The drill works great and it has the adjustable speed dial on it. Had to use it last week and I just noticed that it says 'Made in USA

black and decker.jpg