Too Much Information will destroy what we do.

• HTML tutorial

Advocate III

Yorktown, Indiana, United States
First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
Interesting post and I agree with most of it. Look at the recent stories about that metal artwork in Utah. In days someone counted 70 parked vehicles in the area. I live in the mountains and against the forest, it’s interesting to me how some things have changed, and yes the group sizes have grown., whether it’s mountain bikes, UTVs or 4x4s.

When I drive down to the desert I go by Cleghorn and see the hoards sitting on Hwy138 , a mix of traditional off-roaders and the newer crowd of show vehicles..... what’s the record for how much stuff you can bolt on a Tacoma or JK?
SO TRUE. They feel like it's a show and shine, or some sort of proving ground for the other bros. It's why the OHV parks should be where most folks belong (Cleghorn included).

The last two times I was out in San Bernardino County, I saw less than a handful of people each day I was out. I guess I was in the right spots on the right days.
Agreed, the over-done rigs at the ORV Parks, need to stay there. I had a guy at one of my local parks, in an over-axle lifted YJ, drive by and say "cute YJ"... I was like, at least mine is street legal.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Agreed, the over-done rigs at the ORV Parks, need to stay there. I had a guy at one of my local parks, in an over-axle lifted YJ, drive by and say "cute YJ"... I was like, at least mine is street legal.
yes, this. Unfortunately there is almost zero enforcement of motor vehicle regulations, and when it happens the guys who ignore the laws whine louder than a colic new born baby.

Butback on topic, the worst thing you can do if you love overlanding...... get a youtube account and post the gps route to that place of private bliss you discovered. Unfortunately, egos, likes, get in the way of being conscious of the problems a complete lack of judgement and integrity cause. Overlanding for me is about discovery, not tracing someone elses route.

Advocate III

Yorktown, Indiana, United States
First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
yes, this. Unfortunately there is almost zero enforcement of motor vehicle regulations, and when it happens the guys who ignore the laws whine louder than a colic new born baby.

Butback on topic, the worst thing you can do if you love overlanding...... get a youtube account and post the gps route to that place of private bliss you discovered. Unfortunately, egos, likes, get in the way of being conscious of the problems a complete lack of judgement and integrity cause. Overlanding for me is about discovery, not tracing someone elses route.
I plan on shooting video. I will only share well known areas. My gems will be kept for myself. Here in the Midwest, trails are in limited supply So, I typically use the "known routes" as a starting point. Then, find interesting "unknown" things to do along the way.

GunninIt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

It's interesting, because some of the "big boys" stopped going GPS tags for a while. Then, all of a sudden, they're back.

I have to laugh because a certain big name on YouTube recently did a trip into the California desert and was commenting on his video just how packed the place was. There's a lot of reasons behind that, but there's a big craze going on, which we've all talked about.

If I want to see a lot of people, I'm happy to stay in campgrounds. But for true overlanding experiences, I do like being away from it all.

Sterling rotter

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Texas, USA
First Name
Sterling
Last Name
Rotter
Member #

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but im new to the forum as well as overland bound and was curious about any basic info on running the rim rocker trail this time of year starting on the colorado end and ending up in moab. Just general thing like possible trail closures and things of that sort. Im from south tx so seasonal roads is a new thing to me. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but im new to the forum as well as overland bound and was curious about any basic info on running the rim rocker trail this time of year starting on the colorado end and ending up in moab. Just general thing like possible trail closures and things of that sort. Im from south tx so seasonal roads is a new thing to me. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
The topics you ask come up frequently. Search can help narrow it down for you. Also asking just like you did. Many here are very helpful and will post a link or tag you on an existing thread.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Same issue applies to geo-tagging photos, which is why I don't.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

No ones asking for your sacred, pristine, secret, sausage luv fest, spot.

Some decent beginner dirt roads with campsites, aren't that much to ask.
View attachment 187753
This ^^^^^ plus for me overlanding is all about the social. cultural interaction.

I have zero need to be completely isolated, butI don't want the Overland Rally experience for more than 24 hours.

DSC_0085.jpeg

give me a beach with 20 Overlanders well spread out and I am in heaven.

DSCN1485.jpeg

Reactions: Road and MidOH

TheViking

Rank III

Member I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Nielsen
Member #

I use my Gaia to plot coordinates on things I find from old maps like mines, struck tires, cabins etc I scour the internet for and Google earth. So I have some interesting waypoints. CA has over 70,000 mines alone. Most of the coordinates can be found online. I don’t really use it as road map. But when I’m on a trip and see a waypoint pop up I can go explore and not miss out by driving by unknowingly.