Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

I have been debating whether or not a get a snorkel on my JKU. I've been getting mixed reviews. I don't intend on using it for forging water which everyone thinks it what its mainly used for, but to use it for fresh clean air coming into the engine and giving me more power. So I've heard. And it looks way to damn cool! Can anyone give me their 2 cents on this?

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Do it. If you like it do it.
Even if it just looks cool. Because it does.
And clean air, yes, that does it too. And water, yes you can go deeper as before. But still, whatever reason you think just to justify your feeling about having that snorkel. forget it, just do it.

1 cent.

Greetings from Robert

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
16042 said:
Do it. If you like it do it. Even if it just looks cool. Because it does. And clean air, yes, that does it too. And water, yes you can go deeper as before. But still, whatever reason you think just to justify your feeling about having that snorkel. forget it, just do it. 1 cent. Greetings from Robert
I have to agree with @baddragon here @cappy410 ! Reasons (in this order)

[*]Clean air
[*]Cool air
[*]Water

Also hook yourself up with differential and transfer case breathers eventually.

M

Reactions: Melissa

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here's my two cents, based on over 20 years of Overlanding and having a very informative discussion with Steve, the owner of 4x4 Outpost located in Moab Utah..

I have long considered a snorkel but the truth of the matter is, here in the lower 48 they serve no purpose except a rather high factor on the " cool" scale.. The air intake on jeeps and landcruisers is plenty high enough, and engineered for efficiency. Gained HP with the colder air is minimal at best and my 80 draws air away from the engine compartment... Steve at 4x4 outpost lives and wheels all over the greater Moab region and doesn't use one, and most all of the native rigs in that region run without them..

However,, if and when we take our  Alaska trip, or we hit the jackpot and are able to go down under, my rig will be equipped with a snorkel, as a multitude of water crossings in each destination. Key word,, multitude,, as previously stated, we've been overlanding for over twenty years and I've yet to encounter a crossing here in the lower 48 that couldn't be crossed safely with our stock air intakes.... Just my 2 cents, and opinion..😎

Reactions: shoredreamer

cb2007

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
The main thing to remember is that if the water is high enough to need a snorkel you run the risk of causing damage to electronics, especially is you get stuck...  I want a snorkel because of clean air.  The intake on a FJ Cruiser is located in the front passenger wheel well.  We wheel in some dusty places and the filter needs to be maintained regularly.  Once I get a snorkel I will be pulling air from higher up and not from a dust filled torrent.

Reactions: dstock

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

If you can justify it for any of the reasons you gave - cool air, cleaner air, cool factor, water avoidance, whatever - just do it.  It's an extension of who you are and if it's what you want your vehicle to be, who can argue.

Go for it.

17215 said:
and it looks cool…

Paul Misencik

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

I think I might be the only one on earth who doesn't think snorkels look cool. They seem to be the first grab of poseurs, and as others have noted they serve little purpose for 99.9% of adventure driving. That said, if you like 'em, get one! Why not? As long as you keep it clean it isn't going to hurt anything.

Reactions: DesertFox and MOAK

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I've been planning on getting a snorkel for both of our rigs eventually. I think I'll do a little experiment and take some intake temperature readings on each to see what the improvement looks like.
Also, don't forget the advantage of getting the intake out of the dust. That's a plus even if the temps aren't a huge improvement, at least here in the southwest.

Reactions: sabjku

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I considered building one for my truck but truth be told, since it's also my daily driver and hunting rig there won't be any over the hood water crossings in my future. I just don't see the point. My MAF and air inlet already sits 5' off the ground and it's internally baffled in my fender. if it came down to Function over looks and I had to have one, then sure otherwise, it would be there just for looks. Which I'm not sure it would even look that good on my truck anyway.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I don't even think it is a practical option on my Discovery 4 with the 5L V8.. It has the air intake vents up high on the front quarter panels, but that is the issue.. it has one on each side. Having two snorkels would be to much of a good thing I think.

The only real reason I would want one would be for dust filtering, but it is not too bad to pull the big air filters and bang them on the bumper.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Here's my two cents, based on over 20 years of Overlanding and having a very informative discussion with Steve, the owner of 4x4 Outpost located in Moab Utah..

I have long considered a snorkel but the truth of the matter is, here in the lower 48 they serve no purpose except a rather high factor on the " cool" scale.. The air intake on jeeps and landcruisers is plenty high enough, and engineered for efficiency. Gained HP with the colder air is minimal at best and my 80 draws air away from the engine compartment... Steve at 4x4 outpost lives and wheels all over the greater Moab region and doesn't use one, and most all of the native rigs in that region run without them..

However,, if and when we take our Alaska trip, or we hit the jackpot and are able to go down under, my rig will be equipped with a snorkel, as a multitude of water crossings in each destination. Key word,, multitude,, as previously stated, we've been overlanding for over twenty years and I've yet to encounter a crossing here in the lower 48 that couldn't be crossed safely with our stock air intakes.... Just my 2 cents, and opinion..😎
I wondered about this, but watching some videos, have changed my mind. Watching 4x overland, the importance of a snorkel in dry desert environments, was rammed home. If you CONVOY, those that are tail end charlie will accumulate a lot of dust in their vehicles air filters. Watch the videos, you will be amazed. If you decide to get one,.... get one that is waterproof. By default it will be dust proof also.

Reactions: Schake

Ulysses

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Tannum Sands - Boyne Island, Queensland, Australia
First Name
carl
Last Name
tunstall
Member #

I’ve been overlanding nearly forty years, travel thousands of kilometres on dusty roads and cross deep water crossings that often comes over the hood. If engine performance matters you’ll get more bang for your bucks via tunes ups and even simple things like tyre type/pressures etc. If crossing water then depending on depth simple things like breathers, barriers and technique may be enough. But mate, if a cool looking truck matters then yep you’ll be on the money fitting a snorkel. Keep livin the dream buddy :sunglasses:

Reactions: MOAK

Ulysses

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Tannum Sands - Boyne Island, Queensland, Australia
First Name
carl
Last Name
tunstall
Member #

I wondered about this, but watching some videos, have changed my mind. Watching 4x overland, the importance of a snorkel in dry desert environments, was rammed home. If you CONVOY, those that are tail end charlie will accumulate a lot of dust in their vehicles air filters. Watch the videos, you will be amazed. If you decide to get one,.... get one that is waterproof. By default it will be dust proof also.
Disagree with this comment - firstly it is essential that when fitting a snorkel it is properly sealed to prevent any water seeping in and secondly by default snorkels are not dust proof. If you find yourself in a convoy in dusty conditions just hang back a bit to minimise dust intake. Also if you have a Ram snorkel you may want to consider a fitting dust cover over the head for those especially dusty sections or alternatively if you regularly travel in dusty conditions a cyclone head is quite effective at minimising dust intake

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Disagree with this comment - firstly it is essential that when fitting a snorkel it is properly sealed to prevent any water seeping in and secondly by default snorkels are not dust proof. If you find yourself in a convoy in dusty conditions just hang back a bit to minimize dust intake. Also if you have a Ram snorkel you may want to consider a fitting dust cover over the head for those especially dusty sections or alternatively if you regularly travel in dusty conditions a cyclone head is quite effective at minimizing dust intake
Probably should not have made a simplified and basic reply. Yes on a dust snorkel attachment, over the regular scoop. The Toyota factory OEM snorkel is not waterproof. The AEV on the Chevy Colorado is made by SAFARI and is waterproof. Other brands are also waterproof, but do your research. They are not created equal. Overall a snorkel will reduce dust into the filter, but the cylindrical cone attachment will reduce dust even more.
Check You-tube on this, some great info is there on this subject.

EDIT:
"and secondly by default snorkels are not dust proof.".........................pre-air filter=yes on that, post air filter=THEY BETTER BE!
4x overland/ Andrew St. Pierre, you tube video,................title=
Raised Air Intake Snorkels. Do they work?

EDIT UPDATE:

Found this You-Tube video by (4 WD Action) ----

Air OPUS camper trailer VS. Cape York – for those who wanted to see it in more detail BONUS VIDEO! check at 2.49 into it, to see a pre-filter mounted on a snorkel.

This is also touched on, in the OB "air filter" thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ulysses said:

.... I use these dust covers for sections where there’s a fair bit of bull dust. 4x4 Pre-Cleaners
They do a good job but be sure to limit use I.e. not designed for permanent use
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or, use something like this
:1565713520800.png

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Convoys? Very few I’ve ever seen here in the US do it right. They are always following way too close to one another. But hey, if someone chooses to follow too close in a convoy, then by all means, that’s a really good excuse to waste a few hundred bucks.. Do you mean Andrew St Pierre White? As I’ve sated before, when in Australia a snorkel just might be a must have, after all they are stock on a 70 series. however, I have never seen Andrew in any convoys whatsoever. You must be talking about those Montana boys that I quit watching years ago after their sponsors began to dictate ad placement on their vids. Even they don’t run in convoys.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Disagree with this comment - firstly it is essential that when fitting a snorkel it is properly sealed to prevent any water seeping in and secondly by default snorkels are not dust proof. If you find yourself in a convoy in dusty conditions just hang back a bit to minimize dust intake. Also if you have a Ram snorkel you may want to consider a fitting dust cover over the head for those especially dusty sections or alternatively if you regularly travel in dusty conditions a cyclone head is quite effective at minimizing dust intake
I would think a gauze or light cotton cover would work in really dusty conditions, such as K&N uses (recommends) over their gauze filters (off-road Motorsports). Something that is essential out here in the desert SW. My Polaris ATV has this combo, and before the pre-filter was added, it had to be cleaned more often than not. Afterward, not so much. Agreed on proper sealing, otherwise it is a decoration, and not essential gear. If you get one, no more car washes, hand washes only,, so you have to be comfortable with the compromises it will entail. Limb risers....maybe a necessity depending on the trail types you prefer, to keep the snorkel from snagging.
Have seen a shift in opinions about reversing the snorkel scoop. Seems there are vacuum issues that affect engine management,...aka.....DAMAGE. Modern snorkels have channels to bleed off water before the air filter, and the air-box has that drain for any accumulation. Caught this in the comment section to a you-tube video from a manufacturer. They were not a snorkel manufacturer.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
.... I use these dust covers for sections where there’s a fair bit of bull dust. 4x4 Pre-Cleaners
They do a good job but be sure to limit use I.e. not designed for permanent use
So cool, and a low restriction protection option. I have used a OMNI foam filter for years on a Suzuki King Quad, and years ago on a carbonated Ford 6 cylinder pickup.
My preference has always been oiled foam over oiled gauze. I like this over a cotton cover, as it is washable, and the oil will hold the dust that is encountered. If I had a snorkeled vehicle, and lived where dust was often encountered, this would be a viable option.
The link provided above is the first I have seen of a option like that... again, really cool.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I have snorkels on both my FJ-60 and FJ-40 . Both have pre-cleaners which is the real benefit of the snorkel in a dusty desert environment. Brothers2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner