SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
OP is the second owner, as she got it from the original owner. I bet its still there :P

this is what it looks like for ref, inside the glove box.. This is from our truck. codessssss.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
OP is the second owner, as she got it from the original owner. I bet its still there :P

this is what it looks like for ref, inside the glove box. View attachment 131508
Good chance, it does say DO NOT REMOVE ! Need something (code book) more than this to get an answer.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
yep! for our truck the codes "g80" and GT4 tell us that it has a G80 locker in the rear and a 3.73:1 rear end, as well as a LM7 engine, etc etc etc. Its nice.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Justin, was yours z71 or no? did you have the max tow package?
Max tow and z71 both get lower gears and g80s, our 2wd has the max tow which gave us 3.73 and a G80 in ours. I think the gear ratio breakdown is in the manual, I'll have to dig it up but im like 99% sure she's gonna have 4.10's
I honestly don't remember. It was a Z71 but had cloth interior so it wasn't fully loaded. I don't even remember if it had the G80. I just remember the sound it made when smoking Mustangs and Subaru STis at the strip or stop lights. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I honestly don't remember. It was a Z71 but had cloth interior so it wasn't fully loaded. I don't even remember if it had the G80. I just remember the sound it made when smoking Mustangs and Subaru STis at the strip or stop lights. :tearsofjoy:
Just don't tell alix... Lmao

• Haha
Reactions: JCWages

Wampa150

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Ohh and don't forget the Sierra has Auto4wd. You can run it in Auto4wd (AutoTrac) any time unlike regular 4wd and you won't get steering bind. The drivetrain will run in 2wd until it senses wheel slip up front then it will act like 4wd/AWD. This is a huge help when driving in bad weather and 4wd is overkill.

I missed that truck. That's part of the reason I went to a GMC Canyon when it was time to get back into a truck. The new Sierra is huge!

'01 Sierra with 32s or 33s back in 2004. I forget. :)
Those with the AWD are snow killers as long as you never run it in AWD with different tires. It adjusts on revs per mile so the variance is only 4/32. Anything greater than that will make the truck think there’s a traction problem and try to correct it. You’ll end up killing your transfer case. Same make and model tire. There’s loose tolerances when it comes to tire size. Michelin, for example always runs smaller than others. AWD is one of the best and worst things to happen to the 4x4 market.

Reactions: rho and JCWages

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I honestly don't remember. It was a Z71 but had cloth interior so it wasn't fully loaded. I don't even remember if it had the G80. I just remember the sound it made when smoking Mustangs and Subaru STis at the strip or stop lights.
Ha Ha, something smoked you pretty good in that video. Been there, done that too ! :-)

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Everyone, who has replied or is following this thread.

After taking into account everyone’s advice I have decided to make the journey west from Toronto and back on the same size tires and wheels and make slight adjustments for the weight of the camper once it is on and then in the summer change the tyre and wheel size. Yestertday I went and got the truck serviced at my trusted mechanic and he told me that I should stick with the existing tire as it has lots of tread on it and to save the money. My only dilemma is regarding travelling across USA with A/T that dont have a snow rating but have good tread. I will be carrying snow chains. Any thoughts on this is as always appreciated.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

After taking into account everyone’s advice I have decided to make the journey west from Toronto and back on the same size tires and wheels and make slight adjustments for the weight of the camper once it is on and then in the summer change the tyre and wheel size. Yestertday I went and got the truck serviced at my trusted mechanic and he told me that I should stick with the existing tire as it has lots of tread on it and to save the money. My only dilemma is regarding travelling across USA with A/T that dont have a snow rating but have good tread. I will be carrying snow chains. Any thoughts on this is as always appreciated.
I see nothing wrong with that decision and in fact suggested that is what I would do in my first post. As far as I can see your tires look to be in good shape if the pic is a current one. Between your 4 wheel drive, snow chains and careful driving you should not have any problems. Snow rated tires pertain to the tread design not the tire itself. AT tires are all heavy duty unlike passenger tires.That stock truck is capable of anything on a hi-way situation or even maintained dirt roads if your driving skills are adequate. If I were you though I would weigh the truck after you put the camper on just so you'll know what it weighs.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Drive slow and anticipate the actions of other drivers. Keep it in Auto4wd when there is snow on the road and don't make any abrupt steering movements or quick braking. Keep your family updated with your locations. Ohh and bring extra snacks, water and warm clothing plus a sleeping bag. Try to keep your gas tank topped off so in the event you get stuck somewhere you can still run the engine to stay warm. You'll do fine. :)

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Every time I get a new rig and or new chains I will put them on and take them off a few times in my shop, it really makes all the difference in the world when it comes time to chain up for real. Also if you do use them when you get home lay them out or hang them if possible, it will help keep them from becoming a giant wad of rust.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Every time I get a new rig and or new chains I will put them on and take them off a few times in my shop, it really makes all the difference in the world when it comes time to chain up for real. Also if you do use them when you get home lay them out or hang them if possible, it will help keep them from becoming a giant wad of rust.
Great advice! And keep a pair of warm heavy duty gloves with them so they never get separated. Fighting chains in freezing temps with wet hands is no fun and can lead to cuts and or dangerous situations if you start rushing to try and get out of the cold because your hands are numb.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Drive slow and anticipate the actions of other drivers. Keep it in Auto4wd when there is snow on the road and don't make any abrupt steering movements or quick braking. Keep your family updated with your locations. Ohh and bring extra snacks, water and warm clothing plus a sleeping bag. Try to keep your gas tank topped off so in the event you get stuck somewhere you can still run the engine to stay warm. You'll do fine. :)
I'd like to add, never drive in snow or rain with your cruise control on. If you do have to drive with chains I wouldn't exceed 30 mph.

Reactions: Dilldog and JCWages

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I'd like to add, never drive in snow or rain with your cruise control on. If you do have to drive with chains I wouldn't exceed 30 mph.
Seriously, this cannot be mentioned enough.
To add: I had a buddy from California when I was stationed at McChord and he chained up his Nissan 240 to go over the pass. Well he just drove like normal at 65mph with chains on. Long story short I ended up rescuing him and helping him replace tires.

Last edited:

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hello to everyone who previously helped on this thread, it seems like a long long Time ago I posted this question and it was a great learning curve for me then and its still is now but i am in for the long term and willing to learn.

I hope everyone is well and so are your family and friends at this challenging time!

I made it over to Port Townsend in one piece and enjoyed 3 months sleeping on the rear seat of the truck while building my tiny overland house, good news I am now living in my Tiny Overland House (see attached photos!) and currently self isolating in Vancouver, I made it across the border with 2 hours to spare!

I have been continuing the rig build build in Homedepot parking lots and getting there!

Here I have continued my build and I am currently preparing for a trip across canada back to my family and now need your expert advice again!

My question is:-

The old tyres did make it across the USA! However they are now showing signs of wear and tear with small areas (Spots) of rubber disappearing on my front & rear right tyres (please see attached photos)

So I am now looking to change the tyres for my BFG Ko2’s, the question is should I change out my Shocks and add a leveling kit at the same time. I was initially going to just swap the same tyres 265/75/16, however the technicians at KALTIRE in Coquitlam suggested replacing the shocks and adding then level kit. They are recommending the following:

Monroe Reflex Light Truck Shock parts numbers 911501 & 911502 = $1184 CAD

I also indicated a desire to increase the tyre size and they have suggested they could install a BFG KO2 275/70/18 for $2131 CAD and make a trim on the front wheel well/bumper to avoid rubbing on full turn.

They are recommending Truxx leveling kit - $600 CAD

Total spend approx $4284

I look forward to hearing what you would do?

PS big shout out and thank you to everyone who answered my Overland Bound SOS Alert on the OB Map recently regarding helping me install my rear lights on the house in preparation for heading EAST.

Attachments

Reactions: Wampa150