Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I think I'm going to give the Cooper S/T MAXX a try, I've read good things on them and I'm not entirely happy with the Goodyear Duratracs I've had. In addition Goodyear is not making good news these days with their support of BLM & others and non-support of the Blue Lives Matter, MAGA and All Lives Matter! I also think the Coopers look really good too and I'm a fan of American tire companies!

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
I think I'm going to give the Cooper S/T MAXX a try, I've read good things on them and I'm not entirely happy with the Goodyear Duratracs I've had. In addition Goodyear is not making good news these days with their support of BLM & others and non-support of the Blue Lives Matter, MAGA and All Lives Matter! I also think the Coopers look really good too and I'm a fan of American tire companies!

I have used Cooper Discoverer STT on my 91 Wrangler for many years. Durable, good tread life, not too noisy on the highway. Can't speak for the MAXX, but I'm sure they're just as good, if not better.

Reactions: Viking1204
U

UgotWheelz

Re-hashing this thread! What aspect ration (sidewall height) do you suggest for a crossover like subaru, Honda, Toy RAV4, CX5 etc? I have 18" rims may be bale to find 17's tallest tire available that fits those rims and my wheel wells is WildPeak 55 series aspect ration. I have typically heard and read for offroad don't use under a 65 series. I know guys competing in expedition rally and gravel rally on 40 and 50 series AT tires so.........????

Last edited by a moderator:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Re-hashing this thread! What aspect ration (sidewall height) do you suggest for a crossover like subaru, Honda, Toy RAV4, CX5 etc? I have 18" rims may be bale to find 17's tallest tire available that fits those rims and my wheel wells is WildPeak 55 series aspect ration. I have typically heard and read for offroad used under a 65 series. I know guys competing in expedition and gravel rally on 40 and 50 series AT tires so.........????
Many of the rally guys are running oversized breaks and give up the ability to air down for stopping very quickly. If they break down there is somebody there to clean up and take the rig back to the shop. When I am in the middle of Baja solo, nobody is coming to help.

Reactions: Dlnuckolls

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I put a set of 35/1050R17 Kenda Klever KR601 on the Gladiator based largely on the simple fact they are about the only ones who make a tallish skinny, although I read many glowing reviews and have industry experience so I am familiar with some of their technology. They have about 10k on them and I am very impressed with uniformity, ride, lack of noise and crazy traction in an R/T tread pattern. So much so that last month I put a set on my Ram 2500 4x4 in LT 275/70R18. They are also very attractively priced. If I had any criticism of them it would be their propensity to throw rocks, but that is the nature of an R/T, and it is far better that they throw them than to retain them.

I would encourage you to do your own research, but I am very pleased with these tires.

Kenda Klever KR601

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Re-hashing this thread! What aspect ration (sidewall height) do you suggest for a crossover like subaru, Honda, Toy RAV4, CX5 etc? I have 18" rims may be bale to find 17's tallest tire available that fits those rims and my wheel wells is WildPeak 55 series aspect ration. I have typically heard and read for offroad don't use under a 65 series. I know guys competing in expedition rally and gravel rally on 40 and 50 series AT tires so.........????
Depends on yer objective. Sponsored Rally vehicles likely have zero in common with our reality. Low sidewall saves weight and makes a more responsive tire, important in competition. Tall profiles, plenty of sidewall give a more compliant ride, translating right on thru to reducing stresses and jarring on everything from suspension to you body. This is all about picking the balance point which works for you.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF

I don't think you will be disappointed in the ST Maxx or Cooper in general. I am on my 7th set of Cooper tires of various styles on various rigs. Currently running AT3's under the MJ and ST Maxx under the Land Cruiser and TJ.

Reactions: Viking1204

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
I agree with others here. Personally I run 275/70 R18, because they give a good bit of comfort when I am in the trail and respond well on pavement. If your mostly on road and not extreme off-roading then the smaller aspect will same some weight and still perform well. At the end of the day tires need to reflect how you intend to use your rig.

JBrubicon20

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Kernersville, NC, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Good morning. I need input on new tires. I have a 2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad. Everything is stock on my truck so I want the biggest tires I can get without rubbing. Here are the tires I am considering. Any recommendations on other tires is welcome! Hope I posted this in the right spot. Thanks!
- General Grabber AT2
- Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3
- Sumitomo Encounter AT
- Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
- General Grabber AT2

EDIT: I ended going with Falken Wildpeak AT3s. I had a ton of recommendations for the Falkens. Thanks for everyones input!!
Can’t go wrong with the AT3s. Wildpeaks came stock on my Rubicon and I loved them till I upgraded. Good choice

Wildlee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre Fl
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Passenier
Member #

I put a set of 35/1050R17 Kenda Klever KR601 on the Gladiator based largely on the simple fact they are about the only ones who make a tallish skinny, although I read many glowing reviews and have industry experience so I am familiar with some of their technology. They have about 10k on them and I am very impressed with uniformity, ride, lack of noise and crazy traction in an R/T tread pattern. So much so that last month I put a set on my Ram 2500 4x4 in LT 275/70R18. They are also very attractively priced. If I had any criticism of them it would be their propensity to throw rocks, but that is the nature of an R/T, and it is far better that they throw them than to retain them.

I would encourage you to do your own research, but I am very pleased with these tires.

Kenda Klever KR601
I am heavily considering these. I currently have the copper S/T Maxx. Absolutely love the tire. But I am always looking at different brands for my next tire to run. Can I get a current thought on them since a good chunk of time has passed. Thanks

Reactions: bgenlvtex

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Good morning. I need input on new tires. I have a 2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad. Everything is stock on my truck so I want the biggest tires I can get without rubbing. Here are the tires I am considering. Any recommendations on other tires is welcome! Hope I posted this in the right spot. Thanks!
- General Grabber AT2
- Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3
- Sumitomo Encounter AT
- Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
- General Grabber AT2

EDIT: I ended going with Falken Wildpeak AT3s. I had a ton of recommendations for the Falkens. Thanks for everyones input!!
Post some pics

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Okay, I know you’ve already chosen... but I’m gonna throw in how I chose between the Yoko G015’s and the Falken Wilkpeaks.
On my Subaru Outback, I went with the Yoko’s because I’m so impressed with Yokohama as a company right now, and the G015’s have such good reviews. I haven’t been as impressed with Falken throughout their online up

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I am heavily considering these. I currently have the copper S/T Maxx. Absolutely love the tire. But I am always looking at different brands for my next tire to run. Can I get a current thought on them since a good chunk of time has passed. Thanks
My experience is positive and unchanged. To such a degree as that there are 5-35/1250R17 KR601 sitting in my garage waiting on my Power wagon to arrive.

Very impressed with these tires

Reactions: Wildlee

Wildlee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre Fl
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Passenier
Member #

My experience is positive and unchanged. To such a degree as that there are 5-35/1250R17 KR601 sitting in my garage waiting on my Power wagon to arrive.

Very impressed with these tires
Mad Jealous on the PW! Mad jealous.
I’m 95% sure I’m getting the Kenda RT. I really love my ST Maxx but man the price on jumped up on them.

Reactions: bgenlvtex
U

UgotWheelz

For the Focus RS Overlander; I ended up buying Falken Wildpeak Trails in 225-60-18 that's a 29" tire. Without the lift they would rub inner wheel well lip at top. With the 3" lift they would rub the rocker and front of fender well at bumper on full bump. I should have gone with the 225-55-18 (27.6" or the 235-50-18 27.3"). I sold that car but still have another Focus RS limited edition considering putting them on but would need to trim or roll the fenders and cut bumpers and rocker covers. A shame for a mint RS, but if I end up keeping the car its gonna need to do what I want and eventually run 235-65-17" tires and wheels so triming will be needed and I want tubular front bumper for approach angles. The Falken tires were only on the car for about 3000 miles but they still look new and I had no issues with grip in any condition or punctures which were a weekly occurrence for the factory performance tires. For those making comments about WRC pro rally, this is not and I never said it was a: WRC, Pro rally, or even regional amateur rallycross car this is a daily driven full time overlanding rig that will eventually pull a small teardrop or scamp camper trailer. I typically do autocross, adventure rallies, and hillclimbs but actually haven't done any since 2006.

I am still looking at other options for replacement cars or even just my bikepacking rig. But so Far Falken tires rock!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Mad Jealous on the PW! Mad jealous.
I’m 95% sure I’m getting the Kenda RT. I really love my ST Maxx but man the price on jumped up on them.
Until I wear a set out obviously cost per mile cannot be calculated, but I predict it to be substantially lower than the premium brands, and do it while delivering premium performance.

Something I noticed both with the 275/70R18 on my current Ram, and the 35/1250R17 waiting for the PW is there is no scrimping on size, the 275/70's are noticably wider than anything I have had before, . Despite the fact that tire sizing is an equation, manufacturers take some liberties with those equations and they are not all equal. The 35/1250'ds were $211 shipped including tax which is is less expensive going in than some straight up junk brands.

Reactions: Old Tanker

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have been through many brands and types of tires, Had the ST Maxx. They did not do well on my Jeep. Ride is very very stiff, had a pull to the left ( it was the tires, in them since new), and others had this issue too. Very heavy tire. Wear was great, but once down past 50 percent it was LOUD....I mean louder than my M/T i have now.

For a lightweight rig, I recommend the at51 kumho (patriot, cherokee, subarus, etc) for a bigger rig, I am very pleased with the falken AT3W. I do like bfg KO2, but I am going with falkens next. I may even put a set on my Patriot too.