Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
There will be a video, yes! It will be a little while due to other commitments. Man, sure want to do this full time! ;)

M
How close are we, to making your "full time" dream come true?

Where does the focus need to be?

More Members?
More Supporters?
More OB Products for Sale?
More YouTube Views?
More Paid Events?
Corporate Sponsors?

How can we help?

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

How close are we, to making your "full time" dream come true?

Where does the focus need to be?

More Members?
More Supporters?
More OB Products for Sale?
More YouTube Views?
More Paid Events?
Corporate Sponsors?

How can we help?
Seconded. I will do anything I can to help further the cause!

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Yes, when will you be full-time? I need more attention.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
WARNING: Truth post.

You guys are awesome. Seriously. You sound like my good friends.

Friends say, "the hell are you doing Murguia? You need to OB full time."

I will do this as soon as it is best for OB. Maximum growth is what matters. We're on a mission, and I owe it to each of you.

Fact is I've been able to grow Overland Bound because of the financial resources generated by my day job. There is a fine balance between monetary resources and my time as a resource. I can apply my time to my day job, or OB. Which allows OB to grow more quickly?

Concrete example: We spend money on ads. Google Adwords gets $10 a day. Facebook gets $10 a day or $600 a month total. Because OB has struck a cord , that small investment has a huge social membership (not OB membership) return. If people know about us, they stay on our sites. You can see this in IG and FB numbers which are growing quickly. A new FB member (that means they click "like" on our page) costs us $.07! That's unheard of!!! It's cheap!

Below, Oct 10th is incomplete data, so ignore that day.

image.png

Why? Because people agree with the mission and the community is awesome.

If I quit my day job, that $600 a month may go away. We couldn't afford it. It would slow OB growth.

Now, I'm giving one example, not all, so you shouldn't think $600 a month will solve this. Corrie and I have a trajectory, and goals, and work tirelessly to achieve them. At the right time, I'll transition to OB full time.

Thats background, and you guys asked a specific question which was, "what needs to happen?".

The simple answer is membership.

Events like the PNW trip are costs, not revenue generators, but we need to meet our members! The OTG Rally is pretty much break even, but we have ideas to make a modest profit so we can do more. Corporate sponsorship? Again, this is where membership comes in, because membership adds value for folks like ARB.

The AWESOME thing is that new memberships keep the lights on. So many people are joining (about 30 per week) that the one-time membership price helps us pay costs. This is where "striking a cord" helps. We never could have imagined 30 people a week would join OB.

How do you help? Be the welcome wagon! When a new member hits the forums, help them navigate! Point them to the FAQ. Hell, add to the faq! Show them how awesome you guys are. Make them feel supported. Though you don't know it, many of you guys are "hard core" because of your level of expertise. Make sure beginners feel welcome, and help them.

Populate "boot camp" or "Route" share forums.

Write an article! Articles published on OB.com get 15,000 people to read!

If you have time to assist Corrie on organizing content post, we need "owners". Could we say, I need an interview article on Nov. 15th and have someone make it happen? You could call the president of "traction jack" and say, "Hi, I represent OB and I would like to do an article on your product".

Any other ideas for growing membership helps!

Again, I'm captain over-share here, but that's the real deal. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

M

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Owners? You need someone to write an interview article? I have 2 bachelors degrees and a Masters which I can use to help. Tell me what you need specifically and I'll take it on. This is a place where being a disabled vet can be a good thing, I have plenty of time to help, so consider me an employee and give me an assignment.

Last edited:

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

The title of this thread is ETA on OTG footage, but there's so much more going on here. And it's awesome. And it's like a dream come true.

For those wondering how they can help... Please click on this link http://bit.ly/OBContributor. It's a form that let's us know who you are and what you'd like to contribute. The form contains all of our immediate needs, and we'll keep evolving this 'need' conversation as we grow.

And since my husband is Capt. Overshare, I will do the same. I've been taking on OB full-time since May 2015. I work solo. I'm not perfect at this for stuff and reasons and things. The energy and passion for this business (@Michael) is gone 10+ hours a day, and small necessary details for a 2 person business to thrive are difficult to coordinate and execute.

I'll be even more transparent... OTG was brutal for me. I was in a walking cast. Every step of the way was riddled with pain. I wasn't the host I wanted to be, and I was called out on it. It f*cking sucked. (In other worlds, you figure out to work around these issues. In OB World, that wasn't possible.)

BUT... We aren't alone. The message of Overland Bound has support beyond his means. And (again) it's incredible because of you guys.

Please fill out the form. We want to bring more voices into Overland Bound. And we'll buy everyone beers and celebrate you along the way.

Mad respect,

Corrie

Last edited:

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

The title of this thread is ETA on OTG footage, but there's so much more going on here. And it's awesome. And it's like a dream come true.

For those wondering how they can help... Please click on this link http://bit.ly/OBContributor. It's a form that let's us know who you are and what you'd like to contribute. The form contains all of our immediate needs, and we'll keep evolving this 'need' conversation as we grow.

And since my husband is Capt. Overshare, I will do the same. I've been taking on OB full-time since May 2015. I work solo. I'm not perfect at this for stuff and reasons and things. The energy and passion for this business (@Michael) is gone 10+ hours a day, and small necessary details for a 2 person business to thrive are difficult to coordinate and execute.

I'll be even more transparent... OTG was brutal for me. I was in a walking cast. Every step of the way was riddled with pain. I wasn't the host I wanted to be, and I was called out on it. It f*cking sucked. (In other worlds, you figure out to work around these issues. In OB World, that wasn't possible.)

BUT... We aren't alone. The message of Overland Bound has support beyond his means. And (again) it's incredible because of you guys.

Please fill out the form. We want to bring more voices into Overland Bound. And we'll buy everyone beers and celebrate you along the way.

Mad respect,

Corrie
The only thing im good at on that list is back pats and high fives lol.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX

Mad respect,

Corrie
If membership is the main driver, then lets all focus on it. Imagine the impact on membership numbers, if every day, every member handed out just one OB Business Card to someone, in person, who's already invested in kitting out their vehicle (I come across them all the time). If you added a "Who Referred You? Enter OB# here_____)" field to the membership sign up form, then you could award badges to those who referred 1, 5, 10, etc. What's more "Advocate" than signing up new members? :-) VistaPrint is shipping me these on Weds...
Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 9.52.08 PM.png
Going forward, I'd add $20 to every membership and include 500 personalized OB Cards to hand out. They're super cheap when you print in bulk (especially 30 sets a week :-)

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
How do you help? Be the welcome wagon! When a new member hits the forums, help them navigate! Point them to the FAQ. Hell, add to the faq! Show them how awesome you guys are. Make them feel supported. Though you don't know it, many of you guys are "hard core" because of your level of expertise. Make sure beginners feel welcome, and help them.
M
There's no reason every new member's "Introduction" post, shouldn't get 100+ likes. It doesn't take that long!

Here's the link...

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/member-introductions-new-members-start-here.289/

Go get 'em!!! :-)

Reactions: awolfnspirit

TRL EATR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bastian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1TRL
If membership is the main driver, then lets all focus on it. Imagine the impact on membership numbers, if every day, every member handed out just one OB Business Card to someone, in person, who's already invested in kitting out their vehicle (I come across them all the time). If you added a "Who Referred You? Enter OB# here_____)" field to the membership sign up form, then you could award badges to those who referred 1, 5, 10, etc. What's more "Advocate" than signing up new members? :-) VistaPrint is shipping me these on Weds...
View attachment 9382
Going forward, I'd add $20 to every membership and include 500 personalized OB Cards to hand out. They're super cheap when you print in bulk (especially 30 sets a week :-)
Great idea! I just ordered my cards too! Can't wait to start handing them out!upload_2016-10-30_18-15-19.png

awolfnspirit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Layton, Utah
Member #

Owners? You need someone to write an interview article? I have 2 bachelors degrees and a Masters which I can use to help. Tell me what you need specifically and I'll take it on. This is a place where being a disabled vet can be a good thing, I have plenty of time to help, so consider me an employee and give me an assignment.
Thank you for your service fellow service member! Thank you for volunteering, again, your time to grow this community!

Reactions: Kelly

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I put this here because I went off the rails during one post, and it started a conversation I don't want to delete, just want to re-categorize!

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I recently wrote a short review on the Leitner Designs Active Cargo System. If desired I would be happy to expand the review a bit and submit it for the main page of overland bound... I love where this place is going and you can definitely sign me up to be a contributor. I will fill out the Google docs now

Scott

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I recently wrote a short review on the Leitner Designs Active Cargo System. If desired I would be happy to expand the review a bit and submit it for the main page of overland bound... I love where this place is going and you can definitely sign me up to be a contributor. I will fill out the Google docs now

Scott
Hey Scott! Awesome, thank you!

Please contact @Corrie at info@overlandbound.com and let her know you would like to contribute an article! She will get you started!

Thank you so much!

M