Tillamook State Forest, Oregon

• HTML tutorial

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
So Trixter404 and myself did some exploring/wheeling/camping around Tillamook State Forest in Western Oregon this weekend. It rained. It snowed. It sleeted. We had a blast. Tillamook is both a scenic state forest and tourist destination AND a designated OHV park. It was my first wheeling trip to Oregon and well worth the trip.

Most of the pictures of my X were taken by Trixter (hence the generally higher quality and clarity) while most of the pictures of Trixter's X were taken by me (on my cell phone while balancing a breakfast burrito in the same hand).

There was quite a bit of snow and mud on many of the trails, which coupled with some steep hill climbs made them quite fun. The Xterra continues to impress me with its ability with a good set of tires and a modest lift. Trails that I literally could barely walk up because of the slippery terrain, the X crawled right up with very few issues. I know Steve (Trixter) shares that sentiment.

Here's a picture Trixter took of our eventual campsite, adjacent to a wide and fast flowing creek. Steve got the opportunity to test his new RTT this weekend, which I'm sure was appreciated considering the incessant rain.

Many an innocent beer can were crushed on this site.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Awesome location to do some exploring. Nice looking rigs and RTT's. I've been to Oregon, but never to really explore. Looks like I'll be planning a trip out that way again some day. Great trip report.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Looks like a great time!
Definitely more great places on OR to explore!

Xterra's rock[emoji41][emoji106][emoji592]

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Thank you, all. It was an amazing trip. I'm definitely going to take advantage of everything the PNW has to offer for as long as the Army chooses to keep me here.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Not that I'm biased in any way, but those are a couple outstanding examples of adventure ready vehicles. I am enjoying looking at these pictures, and following the builds of your guys' Xterra's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

If you go, don't forget to load up on all the Tillamook products before you leave!
Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
We cannot buy Tillamook cheese here in Canada (maybe that will change one day, but yeh...it sucks for now) Anyways, every time we make a run across the border, which is about an hour from home, we hit up a grocery store and stock up on Tillamook extra-aged white cheddar. That cheese is amazing, easily as good as any fancy-schmancy super expensive aged cheddar. Tillamook has kind of spoiled us for any other "regular" cheese.

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

We cannot buy Tillamook cheese here in Canada (maybe that will change one day, but yeh...it sucks for now) Anyways, every time we make a run across the border, which is about an hour from home, we hit up a grocery store and stock up on Tillamook extra-aged white cheddar. That cheese is amazing, easily as good as any fancy-schmancy super expensive aged cheddar. Tillamook has kind of spoiled us for any other "regular" cheese.
And their yogurt is bomb too!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We found a place about 40 miles west of us that carries Tillamook cheese. Just to be sure we weren't spoiled by buying it direct from the factory store (where we went through the tasting line three times) we did a blind taste test. We bought four kinds of premium aged extra sharp cheddar, and had someone else open each, slice them, and serve them. Three out of four of us picked the Tillamook as our favorite, and the other person had it as their second choice. So we take a road trip every now and then to replenish.

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
So Trixter404 and myself did some exploring/wheeling/camping around Tillamook State Forest in Western Oregon this weekend. It rained. It snowed. It sleeted. We had a blast. Tillamook is both a scenic state forest and tourist destination AND a designated OHV park. It was my first wheeling trip to Oregon and well worth the trip.

Most of the pictures of my X were taken by Trixter (hence the generally higher quality and clarity) while most of the pictures of Trixter's X were taken by me (on my cell phone while balancing a breakfast burrito in the same hand).

There was quite a bit of snow and mud on many of the trails, which coupled with some steep hill climbs made them quite fun. The Xterra continues to impress me with its ability with a good set of tires and a modest lift. Trails that I literally could barely walk up because of the slippery terrain, the X crawled right up with very few issues. I know Steve (Trixter) shares that sentiment.

Here's a picture Trixter took of our eventual campsite, adjacent to a wide and fast flowing creek. Steve got the opportunity to test his new RTT this weekend, which I'm sure was appreciated considering the incessant rain.

Many an innocent beer can were crushed on this site.
Oh yea. Cheese and more cheese.. How did you RTTs work in the snow?

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
While the tents were set up, it was just raining as we were at a lower elevation. I wouldn't see any issue using a RTT in the snow, though. They're pretty sturdy with a rigid inner-framework.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I might have one somewhere from a trip there a year and a half ago. If you haven't been there before don't forget an Oregon ohv permit. I'd also pick up a map, the shell station in Gales Creek normally has them.
Thanks for the heads up. I am looking into getting the OHV permit for Oregon as well as a fishing license for non-residents.