Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
OK, I'll bite... Not having read any more on the RPM Act than, "The RPM ACT is a movement against the EPA and the recent regulatory actions that will prevent modification of personal vehicles for the intent of racing or modifying for off-road use. " which I found with a quick on-line search, how will this help me with my 2014 DEF diesel? Not being argumentative!!! I'm looking for some education/discussion. Are guys like me actually stripping the DEF mechanisms out of their trucks? I know I'm not mechanically-minded enough to try that!
You are correct, the RPM act will only allow an engine to be run without emissions equipment if it is in a non licenesed competition use only vehicle. You will NEVER see anything that will make it legal to subvert emissions equipment on a vehicle that is licensed to operate on public roadways. That being said, yes emissions deletes are extremely common, and I used to field 2-3 phone calls everyday when I worked a diesel pickup performance tech line with people asking about them, or asking how to fix the issues they are now having due to running poor quality parts/ tuning.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Do you need a diesel? Reliability and overall cost to own are dismal right now.

Ford 7.3l has all the power and torque you want. Gear your axles appropriately for your tire size.

My Ram Cummins shredded its entire fuel system around 45k miles IIRC. Left me stranded twice already. Any minor fault with an injector will also clog the DPF in short order. Causing constant regens. DEF tank must be kept full so it does't cause dried up salt/brine goo in the top of the tank, and clog an injector or something. It's a PITA.

My Ford 6.2 has been great. Plenty of power and torque for overlanding. Just lockout gears as needed.
this ^^^^ go gas

I know so many guys left waiting foe diesel parts., regardless of brand.
Gas is way less expensive
Better payload, the only reason to buy diesel is for excessive towing capacity, really not an overlanders need And yer not towing.
Reliability, the stupid systems to control emissions on a diesel are the problem.
Gas engines have had emissions figured out for 30 years.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The fuel systems on the new diesels are absolute garbage right now, as well. Not even close to the reliability we had 20 years ago.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The fuel systems on the new diesels are absolute garbage right now, as well. Not even close to the reliability we had 20 years ago.
Yup, the good old CP4 injection pump. The life span of those guys is anywhere from 20K miles to about 75K and when they let loose its about a $20K bill...

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yep. My Ram Cummins is already on it's 2nd complete fuel system.

At least they didn't have to take the cab off though.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If I was going new, for the purpose of a Four Wheel Camper I'd get a gasser, to be honest. I love my 2011 Silverado 2500HD (Duramax diesel, Allison trans) and it's far and away been the best truck I've ever had. But, somehow maybe the DEF/DPF/Cat/etc. all might have fallen off at around 5k miles (130k miles now). The only reason I'd go with a diesel if going new would be if I was going back to a big 5th wheel trailer, then I'd be getting a Ford F450 with the 6.7 Power Stroke and 10 speed. But for a FWC either the Ford or RAM with a gasser would be on my list. Right now, I think I'd take the Ford for the 7.3 gasser and 10 speed (vs. 6.4 and 8 speed in the RAM) but the RAM interiors are so, so, sooooooooo nice. As a long-time Chevy guy, I'm afraid GM is just out of the game right now. They're fugly, and as much as I love my '11 and the IFS has never been a problem for me (and it's spent a LOT of time off road, including towing heavy off road) if I was getting something specifically for the purpose of a FWC and Overlanding, I'd want a solid axle rig.

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Yup, the good old CP4 injection pump. The life span of those guys is anywhere from 20K miles to about 75K and when they let loose its about a $20K bill...
The CP4.2 is problematic, but 20-75k is pretty inaccurate. 100+k is the accepted standard for the *potential* to have problems. They do have a way higher failure rate than they should, but it's not like EVERY one fails. I replaced my CP4.2 at about 100k miles as preventative maintenance. It wasn't giving me issues, or showing any sign of an upcoming failure, but for me it was worth it to do. While we had the front of the truck apart we went ahead and did new water pump (a common D'max failure past 100k miles), new t-stats (yes, two), all new belts/hoses, and a bunch of other parts I'm forgetting (radiator was new the year before, so left that). All-in I think I spent like $3k... sure that's a lot, but worth it IMHO.

FWIW, when they do fail, at dealer pricing it's more like $10k, not $20k. If you can do the work yourself, or have a friendly shop with reasonable rates, here's an idea on the cost for the parts you actually need (~$3800): 2011-2016 6.6L GMC/CHEVY DURAMAX LML FULL INJECTOR SET +PLUS CONTAMINATION KIT - BUILD YOUR OWN

EDIT: if you do have a CP4.2 a lift pump and filtration, as well as a good fuel additive go a looooooooooong way to keeping it happy. My lift pump setup has 100 then 10 micron filters, and the filter at the stock filter boss (Niktane adapter) is 3 micron IIRC. I replace them often. The 100 micron filter is also a water separator. The lift pump allows the CP4.2 to do what it's good at (push pressurized fuel) and keeps it from having to do what it's bad at (pull non-pressurized fuel).

-TJ

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The CP4.2 is problematic, but 20-75k is pretty inaccurate. 100+k is the accepted standard for the *potential* to have problems. They do have a way higher failure rate than they should, but it's not like EVERY one fails. I replaced my CP4.2 at about 100k miles as preventative maintenance. It wasn't giving me issues, or showing any sign of an upcoming failure, but for me it was worth it to do. While we had the front of the truck apart we went ahead and did new water pump (a common D'max failure past 100k miles), new t-stats (yes, two), all new belts/hoses, and a bunch of other parts I'm forgetting (radiator was new the year before, so left that). All-in I think I spent like $3k... sure that's a lot, but worth it IMHO.

FWIW, when they do fail, at dealer pricing it's more like $10k, not $20k. If you can do the work yourself, or have a friendly shop with reasonable rates, here's an idea on the cost for the parts you actually need (~$3800): 2011-2016 6.6L GMC/CHEVY DURAMAX LML FULL INJECTOR SET +PLUS CONTAMINATION KIT - BUILD YOUR OWN

-TJ
100K out of a CP4 is doing well, I have sold parts for folks stating that they have gone at around 20K, and I have heard of quotes up to 20K to do everything in a shop. A few comments on the link above, that kit does not include everything you need to actually replace after you have a CP4 failure, literally everything that touches fuel should be replaced, only exception is the tank but it still needs to be dropped, stripped and cleaned.
At any rate, common rail fuel systems are great when they are operating well. They just don't have much forgiveness and when it all goes wrong, it goes wrong big time. And honestly this lack of forgiveness as it were is the single biggest reason I would not select to take one on a trip to remote areas, not always being able to guarantee fuel quality would be a deal breaker for me.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

100K out of a CP4 is doing well, I have sold parts for folks stating that they have gone at around 20K, and I have heard of quotes up to 20K to do everything in a shop. A few comments on the link above, that kit does not include everything you need to actually replace after you have a CP4 failure, literally everything that touches fuel should be replaced, only exception is the tank but it still needs to be dropped, stripped and cleaned.
At any rate, common rail fuel systems are great when they are operating well. They just don't have much forgiveness and when it all goes wrong, it goes wrong big time. And honestly this lack of forgiveness as it were is the single biggest reason I would not select to take one on a trip to remote areas, not always being able to guarantee fuel quality would be a deal breaker for me.
Fair 'nough, and I don't disagree. Like I said, if I was buying new for something like a FWC (or basically anything below, let's say 12k lbs towing) I'd be looking at the 7.3 Ford gasser - and this coming from a "Chevy/Duramax guy." I still think filtration and a lift pump is a great idea for any diesel (well, many have factory lift pumps, so just increased filtration) but especially crucial for CP4.2-equipped rigs.

-TJ

Reactions: Dilldog

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Yep. My Ram Cummins is already on it's 2nd complete fuel system.

At least they didn't have to take the cab off though.
The CP4 is definitely a problem child. Ram dropped using the CP4.2 in their HDs in 2021. They only ran it for 2 years (2019 & 2020). The newer Rams are running a version of the CP3. Still waiting to see if Ram will have a service solution for the two HD model years that ran the CP$.

Just my opinion, but I would still buy a Ram Cummins over a gas truck today.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
When I went gas, it solidly put me into the Ford camp. The 6.2l is an excellent engine. Especially with the 6r100g transmission. The 7.3l is even better.

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Solid advice coming from someone who knows how the EPA has screwed some great Youtuber's out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, and how the RPM ACT may fix the stupidity.
Thanks for this.
Zim
I have worked in the HD diesel industry for 12years, and recently sold performance diesel pickup parts. So this kind of stuff has been a big part of my life for the last 13 or so years.
So in your opinion, diesel or gas?

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
So in your opinion, diesel or gas?
Gas. Diesel is really really good until it breaks. Then it becomes really really expensive. It's already 5-25% higher for parts on the 3/4 ton so throw in diesel parts on top of that and it's a recipe for vacation cancelation. lol.
Zim

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
When I went gas, it solidly put me into the Ford camp. The 6.2l is an excellent engine. Especially with the 6r100g transmission. The 7.3l is even better.
However.............lol. And I own one. The dreaded cam chain slap issue depending on year is a consideration. I've sold several, and I mean several chain guides/tensioners at Parts City here in Missouri. I'm still a F250 guy cause it's a good looking truck...ahahahahahha
Zim

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Ok, I may be off thread, but the topic is campers, yes?
See our ATerra Tacoma camper here:

We wanted narrow and light and very capable offroad and with the ATerra we have it. My wife and I have traveled extensively by motorcycle so we are used to not having tons of space. We can park in ANY town, park, or attraction and wave to the Sprinters, etc., as we drive by going to higher elevations and deeper in the woods to beautiful locations. We have F/R lockers, winch, MaxTrax, kinetic rope, etc., so are fully equipped... to help others :-)

AT Overland Equipment in Prescott, AZ is currently building a larger 3/4 and one ton version of our camper which is also very light and will have an interior toilet and shower which our Tacoma model does not (we have a deployable toilet and outside shower).

So far, since June 2021 and for about seven months so far, we've been 23,000 miles, to AZ, UT, MT, OR, WA, CA, took the Alaska Marine Highway to Alaska (had to due to Covid), the Arctic Circle in Alaska, traveled around AK, the Yukon Territory, down the Alaska Hwy to Death Valley, CA and around Baja on both sides. And did so many things; kayaked to glaciers, salmon fished, helped folks in Baja get unstuck, camped on many beaches, in beautiful woods, overlooking valleys and a great deal more. We are very fortunate. Thank you David Soza of Tern Overland.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
In my opinion the only time diesel makes sense is when you will be running at sustained speeds under medium to heavy to load, read pulling a travel trailer down the interstate.
Exactly.

Extremely often as well. If you only tow or overland once a month, gas works fine. I wouldn't underestimate them, you can push a gas engine really hard, plenty of times.

My Cummins is only slightly better at towing. And it's ''perform service'' warning is back on. Somethings broken, again Regen'd three days in a row.