Thoughts on Ram 3500 w/ flat bed tray & Four Wheel Camper

• HTML tutorial

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I’m currently driving a 2019 Tacoma DCLB and towing a 15’ Taxa Cricket popup wedge trailer. That’s a combined length of 34’. I take this setup everywhere from weekend getaways (on and off road adventures) but also live out of it daily. After enjoying this setup for about six months, I’m now debating the idea of shortening my setup. I’m thinking of trading in both the truck and trailer and replacing with something like a Ram 3500 w/ flat bed tray & Four Wheel Camper. I’m not dead set on the Ram or FWC but something similar. Anyone have any setup remotely similar and what are you thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
If you check out our avatar photo, that's a Ram 3500 SRW diesel with a Lance 650 hard-side camper. You will downright *love* the maneuverability you'll gain by losing the trailer. Our 3500 is definitely too much truck for the camper, but then, that's not really a "bad" thing. We could get by with a 2500. The flat-bed and 4 Wheel Camper you're looking at is going to have ample power. Like us, you won't be doing any ourtrageous rock-crawling, but we got that out of systems years ago and we like the comfort of the truck camper rig. If we were to switch to a pop-up TC, the 4WC line is one of the best and not toooooo outrageous a price tag. If you're set on a truck camper, there are a few good websites. One of the best is: Home - Truck Camper Adventure Costs nothing to "join" the discussions on the forum and Mike does lots of articles and good reviews. And hey, keep the Taco... we did!

Reactions: BCMoto

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Brand loyalty is crazy so I'm not going there....yet.
But, I'd look at Chevy or Ford for your foundation.
I have worked on and sold more parts in my career for Dodge/Ram than any other vehicle. Period.
If Subaru made a truck, I'd buy six. LMAO
Zim
The picture below show how Dodge/Ram presses in their ball joints.....ask me how I know. LOL
press1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Brewbud

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I've got that exact truck. I'd consider a Ford chassis cab truck as well. And the 7.3L gas engine.

Check out Bundutec's tray model flatbed campers as well. Also consider DRW if you aren't wheeling hardcore anywhere. DRW chassis cabs are narrower than DRW pick ups. But have a much wider flatbed or box, than an SRW.

Make sure you get a right side door on the camper. Slide in guys are stuck with rear doors, nobody wants them though. You'll find that tray style flatbed campers are much roomier than slide ins.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

The Ram 3500 would be an awesome platform for what you want. You definitely want the 3500 if you go with the Cummins. You would be banging right up against the payload with a 2500 Cummins. You may be alright with a Hemi 2500 since you don't start out with the weight penalty of the Cummins. 3500 Ram would definitely be my first pick. Ford 350 second. Third.....there would be no third

Check out theramadainn on Instagram for a good looking build. He has a few posts on HDRams as well. Lets see those crew cab long boxes!

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

The only reason I wasn’t considering the chassis cab is because it appeared the the fuel intake is relocated compared to the non-chassis version. I’ve seen that many of the flat bed manufacturers expect that the fuel intake be in a particular location. Otherwise I figured it would save me from having to get rid of the truck bed while installing the flat bed tray.

I was considering the diesel version but understand that would take away from the payload capacity since it could add nearly 500 lbs. Any thought to that?

As for SRW vs DRW, while I have zero interest in going rock crawling, I do enjoy hitting the various trails (given enough width). Would being DRW be advised for that terrain?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
My drw does excellent on dirt roads. The extra stability is priceless. Axle ground clearance is weak though. Drw tires are small. The drw chassis cab gives you a much nicer wider camper box. Itll be more like a motorhome than a slide in camper.

With SRW trucks, you have to stay light like an ultra lite backpacker. Dont over do clothes, dishes, whatever. Keep your camper as empty as possible. Stay under 2500# dry weight camper with SRW.

250 must be gas only. Diesel engine is MORE than 1000 pounds option. Dont forget the weight of dual batteries, dual alternators, heavier transmission, rapid heat, etc.

My gas 250 has a cargo capacity of 3400#. When I bought it , the diesel 250 only had 2200# capacity. Not enough for a big camper. You have to go 350 or 550 for diesel.

Chassis cabs relocate the tank to the rear. Fuel fill location doesnt matter with a flatbed. My ram 3500 has a 55g rear tank. You'll have to figure out where to relocate the DEF tank on the Ram. Mine is only a few inches off the ground and drags on everything.

The bad news, you'll need a spare tire mount added to the rear of the flatbed. The tank uses the spare location.

Last edited:

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
The only reason I wasn’t considering the chassis cab is because it appeared the the fuel intake is relocated compared to the non-chassis version. I’ve seen that many of the flat bed manufacturers expect that the fuel intake be in a particular location. Otherwise I figured it would save me from having to get rid of the truck bed while installing the flat bed tray.

I was considering the diesel version but understand that would take away from the payload capacity since it could add nearly 500 lbs. Any thought to that?

As for SRW vs DRW, while I have zero interest in going rock crawling, I do enjoy hitting the various trails (given enough width). Would being DRW be advised for that terrain?
IRT DRWvs SRW for trails? SRW -- definitely SRW. We have been on many forest service roads in the west that were a piece of cake with our 3500 SRW that would have been a royal painintheass with a dually. Narrow spots between trees, tight corners with small obstacles, rocks bordering the roads, loose rock IN the roads (that will jam up between the duallys, and overgrown brush along the road that will seriously 'modify' the paint on the dually fenders.

Yes on the 500# weight penalty - it does impact your carrying capacity. It does, however, provide great torque and endless power for highway travel getting to the fun stuff. If we decided the diesel had to go, we might go down to a gasser 3/4 ton, Ram or Ford. The only drawback to the Ford is the height of the pickup bed sides - you'll need to add spacers underneath the camper to clear the rails. Of course, going the flatbed route, you wouldn't have that issue and as pointed out earlier, you can opt for a side entrance.

Reactions: Brewbud

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

IRT DRWvs SRW for trails? SRW -- definitely SRW. We have been on many forest service roads in the west that were a piece of cake with our 3500 SRW that would have been a royal painintheass with a dually. Narrow spots between trees, tight corners with small obstacles, rocks bordering the roads, loose rock IN the roads (that will jam up between the duallys, and overgrown brush along the road that will seriously 'modify' the paint on the dually fenders.

Yes on the 500# weight penalty - it does impact your carrying capacity. It does, however, provide great torque and endless power for highway travel getting to the fun stuff. If we decided the diesel had to go, we might go down to a gasser 3/4 ton, Ram or Ford. The only drawback to the Ford is the height of the pickup bed sides - you'll need to add spacers underneath the camper to clear the rails. Of course, going the flatbed route, you wouldn't have that issue and as pointed out earlier, you can opt for a side entrance.
Thankfully I’m considering a lower weight camper (~1200 lbs) so if I do go with the diesel and give up the payload capacity, I should still have plenty of wiggle room. I already made the payload capacity issue with my Tacoma so I definitely dont want to repeat that mistake.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Do you need a diesel? Reliability and overall cost to own are dismal right now.

Ford 7.3l has all the power and torque you want. Gear your axles appropriately for your tire size.

My Ram Cummins shredded its entire fuel system around 45k miles IIRC. Left me stranded twice already. Any minor fault with an injector will also clog the DPF in short order. Causing constant regens. DEF tank must be kept full so it does't cause dried up salt/brine goo in the top of the tank, and clog an injector or something. It's a PITA.

My Ford 6.2 has been great. Plenty of power and torque for overlanding. Just lockout gears as needed.

ganthercage

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
ganther
Last Name
cage

Ford 7.3l has all the power and torque you want. Gear your axles appropriately for your tire size.

My Ram Cummins shredded its entire fuel system around 45k miles IIRC. Left me stranded twice already. Any minor fault with an injector will also clog the DPF in 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 short order. Causing constant regens. DEF tank must be kept full so it does't cause dried up salt/brine goo in the top of the tank, and clog an injector or something. It's a PITA.

My Ford 6.2 has been great. Plenty of power and torque for overlanding. Just lockout gears as needed.
Sounds great not too much milage and nice overall

Last edited:

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

My Ram Cummins shredded its entire fuel system around 45k miles IIRC. Left me stranded twice already. Any minor fault with an injector will also clog the DPF in short order. Causing constant regens. DEF tank must be kept full so it does't cause dried up salt/brine goo in the top of the tank, and clog an injector or something. It's a PITA.

I’ve only owned Tacomas for the past 21 years. So moving into this new truck would be a drastic change. I’m completely open to either the gas or diesel engine.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
I’ve only owned Tacomas for the past 21 years. So moving into this new truck would be a drastic change. I’m completely open to either the gas or diesel engine.
While I DO love the power of the Cummins diesel, I must concede the point made by some here IRT DEF issues with the new diesels. We have had the dreaded "limp" mode interrupt one trip so far and if you're looking at a 1200# camper, it sure sounds like you could definitely consider a gas rig. One consideration: the new Ford 7.3 looks impressive but a report from a new owner (who has an incredible history of truck camper overlanding) suggests it might be having some teething issues. Consider a brand/model with a proven track record as opposed to being a "pioneer" with this "exciting" new model. At least give it a year or two to work out the kinks?

PS: We kept our 2007 Taco - it's still great for short trips.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Personally I would go with Ford. The Superduty front axle is much more stout. Rams have always had weak ball joints, unit bearings, and steering. Also worth noting the wall thickness on the SD Dana 60 is more than the Ram Dana 60. Couple that with the fact that Ford transmissions are much more robust and you will be much better served in the long run with a Ford. Only thing worth noting with Ford is the 6.4L and 6.7L Power Stroke is junk, lots of fuel system issues with no real fix in sight and due to this parts are very hard to come by. But that being said, Ford did just launch the 7.3L gas V-8 wich makes diesel like HP and TQ numbers for $10K less and no weird diesel fuel system and emissions issues...
As far as diesels in general go, due to the emissions required on them and how they work, they simply put are not worth it unless you are constantly under load and running at highway speeds often. The DPFs can be problematic if you run in stop and go a lot or if you have extended idle time. The SCR (the module that utilizes DEF fluid) is problematic because DEF has a crystallization point of about 50*F. This means that a heater must be run even in the warmest climates and once that heater goes out, you get DEF crystallization, poor SCR efficiency and eventually engine de-rate. This issue is exacerbated by low quality DEF.
And naturally someone will inevitably chime in with "Just delete it". I simply cannot stress enough how bad an idea this is. Removing emissions equipment from an engine is a violation of federal law, period. The EPA has shut down all of the legitimate bushiness that were selling and supporting the needed ECM tuning to do this, as such the only people still out there know they are violating federal law and don't care. This often times means customer support is non existent, couple that with the fact that the EPA is now starting to enforce emissions laws on an individual level and you have a recipe for disaster. If you get flagged the best case is you get a few thousand dollar fine, worst case your truck can be confiscated as it is technically an asset being used in the commission of a crime. It may seem like a long shot, and plenty of people don't run into any issues, but in my opinion its not worth it, and I like laying down to sleep at night knowing I'm on the right side of the law...

Last edited:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Personally I would go with Ford. The Superduty front axle is much more stout. Rams have always had weak ball joints, unit bearings, and steering. Also worth noting the wall thickness on the SD Dana 60 is more than the Ram Dana 60. Couple that with the fact that Ford transmissions are much more robust and you will be much better served in the long run with a Ford. Only thing worth noting with Ford is the 6.4L and 6.7L Power Stroke is junk, lots of fuel system issues with no real fix in sight and due to this parts are very hard to come by. But that being said, Ford did just launch the 7.3L gas V-8 wich makes diesel like HP and TQ numbers for $10K less and no weird diesel fuel system and emissions issues...
As far as diesels in general go, due to the emissions required on them and how they work, they simply put are not worth it unless you are constantly under load and running at highway speeds often. The DPFs can be problematic if you run in stop and go a lot or if you have extended idle time. The SCR (the module that utilizes DEF fluid) is problematic because DEF has a crystallization point of about 50*F. This means that a heater must be run even in the warmest climates and once that heater goes out, you get DEF crystallization, poor SCR efficiency and eventually engine de-rate. This issue is exacerbated by low quality DEF.
And naturally someone will inevitably chime in with "Just delete it". I simply cannot stress enough how bad an idea this is. Removing emissions equipment from an engine is a violation of federal law, period. The EPA has shut down all of the legitimate bushiness that were selling and supporting the needed ECM tuning to do this, as such the only people still out there know they are violating federal law and don't care. This often times means customer support is non existent, couple that with the fact that the EPA is now starting to enforce emissions laws on an individual level and you have a recipe for disaster. If you get flagged the best case is you get a few thousand dollar fine, worst case your truck can be confiscated as it is technically an asset being used in the commission of a crime. It may seem like a long shot, and plenty of people don't run into any issues, but in my opinion its not worth it, and I like laying down to sleep at night knowing I'm on the right side of the law...
Solid advice coming from someone who knows how the EPA has screwed some great Youtuber's out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, and how the RPM ACT may fix the stupidity.
Thanks for this.
Zim

Reactions: Dilldog

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Solid advice coming from someone who knows how the EPA has screwed some great Youtuber's out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, and how the RPM ACT may fix the stupidity.
Thanks for this.
Zim
OK, I'll bite... Not having read any more on the RPM Act than, "The RPM ACT is a movement against the EPA and the recent regulatory actions that will prevent modification of personal vehicles for the intent of racing or modifying for off-road use. " which I found with a quick on-line search, how will this help me with my 2014 DEF diesel? Not being argumentative!!! I'm looking for some education/discussion. Are guys like me actually stripping the DEF mechanisms out of their trucks? I know I'm not mechanically-minded enough to try that!

Reactions: Dilldog

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
OK, I'll bite... Not having read any more on the RPM Act than, "The RPM ACT is a movement against the EPA and the recent regulatory actions that will prevent modification of personal vehicles for the intent of racing or modifying for off-road use. " which I found with a quick on-line search, how will this help me with my 2014 DEF diesel? Not being argumentative!!! I'm looking for some education/discussion. Are guys like me actually stripping the DEF mechanisms out of their trucks? I know I'm not mechanically-minded enough to try that!
He was talking about the DEF delete which out here in the country is very common. Not advised to do the DEF delete. The EPA seems to be on a mission to cause hate and discontent in all the outdoor motor vehicle areas.
Zim

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

PS: We kept our 2007 Taco - it's still great for short trips.
I wish keeping both was an option but that just isn’t going to be in the cards.

Btw, have you seen the new AT Overland ATerra XL? I heard it was just revealed at Overland West. Looks very interesting but not sure I want the extra height constantly.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Thanks for this.
Zim
I have worked in the HD diesel industry for 12years, and recently sold performance diesel pickup parts. So this kind of stuff has been a big part of my life for the last 13 or so years.