Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I've wanted new and bigger tires since we got the Bison. I like the Duratracs but admittedly a stock Bison looks like it skipped leg day! These tires now have 36,000 miles on them, so when a really good deal on a set of 285/70r17 Falken Wildpeak M/T tires came up I jumped at it.

First task was to install the AEV 33" tire clearance trim kit to give enough clearance without needing a lift. I've only done the front fenders as the jury is out if the rear fenders need to be done at all, but it just took a few hours and wasn't all that difficult. I used a 1/4" wheel spacer to make sure the tires would clear the upper control arm components. It looks so much better! The Trifecta tune with speedometer correction will get ordered and installed soon.
Resized_20220422_185908.jpeg
Resized_IMG_20220426_123347.jpeg
Resized_IMG_20220426_123400.jpeg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Looking good @TheBison! I agree the stock tires are way too small for this truck. Apparently GM does too since it looks like the new ZR2 comes with ‘Jeep 33s’. I debated on that size but settled on 255/80s. If I trim it’s going to be for 35s haha.

2C14BF00-B124-4EB6-8D05-E48715A424E0.jpeg

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Considering doing this major modification (scroll down to see pics of a ZR2). MITS Alloy
Thoughts? It's a bucketload of $$$ but would increase the functional use of the bed tremendously... :smirk:

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Considering doing this major modification (scroll down to see pics of a ZR2). MITS Alloy
Thoughts? It's a bucketload of $$$ but would increase the functional use of the bed tremendously... :smirk:
I've been wanting a Mits try and canopy for my Ranger, but to cost just to get it to the states is ridiculous, on top of the high cost of the tray and canopy to begin with. So for now, I shall just dream.

Explorer I

Macedon Ranges, VIC, Australia
First Name
Chantal
Last Name
ChB
They do look good, but surely you could get a local tray/canopy builder do make something similar.

I find it amusing that when you are in the US you are looking at products from AUS, and we who are in AUS are looking at all the different options in the US.

Reactions: TheBison

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I've been wanting a Mits try and canopy for my Ranger, but to cost just to get it to the states is ridiculous, on top of the high cost of the tray and canopy to begin with. So for now, I shall just dream.
I have been quoted $1500 flat for shipping. I guess that isn't ridiculous seeing as it comes from Australia...

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
They do look good, but surely you could get a local tray/canopy builder do make something similar.

I find it amusing that when you are in the US you are looking at products from AUS, and we who are in AUS are looking at all the different options in the US.
We have to admit that Oz had overlanding figured out first!

Reactions: ChristelandChantal

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

It looks awesome but If I had a pickup truck I would probably go for a AluCan Canopy style camper... To actually get livable space!

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I was looking into MITS a year or two ago, just as they were starting to get the ball rolling on setting up dealers/distributors in the US. We ended up going another route, but they make awesome products and seem to be really nice folks so I wouldn't hesitate to go with them if that's the kind of setup you're after. Good luck!

Reactions: TheBison and MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

You might want to look at

If you consider Mits or pcor.
Another pricey but great option.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
It looks awesome but If I had a pickup truck I would probably go for a AluCan Canopy style camper... To actually get livable space!
The rub is, we don't want livable space (that's what we have our trailer or a tent for). We've identified through several trips now that we lack lockable, weather-tight storage space and really don't want to unpack a bunch of stuff out of our trailer each time we want to fold the bed out. Plus it looks cool...

Reactions: Advtres and GLOCKer

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
You might want to look at

If you consider Mits or pcor.
Another pricey but great option.
I'll check them out, though at first glance pricing looks pretty similar. I looked at PCOR as well, and their single US dealer shows zero availability. The BVOAV guys were at Expo West and spent a lot of time answering my questions (as well as a follow up phone call when we got back and I had more questions) so that counts for a lot!

Explorer I

Macedon Ranges, VIC, Australia
First Name
Chantal
Last Name
ChB
I'll check them out, though at first glance pricing looks pretty similar. I looked at PCOR as well, and their single US dealer shows zero availability. The BVOAV guys were at Expo West and spent a lot of time answering my questions (as well as a follow up phone call when we got back and I had more questions) so that counts for a lot!
We have gone for something similar a Tommy Camper (Aus made, local to us). They do deliver them to the US as well, not sure about the cost though.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
So first I want to preface my response with the fact that I know little of the toppers. Yet looking at this one, the build quality, the ability to customize it, the material (aluminum) and the fact it looks darn good. I say you only live once, get the things that give you pleasure and inspire you to go outside and play!. Order now and you may see it next year..

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

The rub is, we don't want livable space (that's what we have our trailer or a tent for). We've identified through several trips now that we lack lockable, weather-tight storage space and really don't want to unpack a bunch of stuff out of our trailer each time we want to fold the bed out. Plus it looks cool...
Oh I forgot you guys have a trailer already!
Well then it makes more sense. Another option would be to go with a very nice bed topper that gives you lockable storage and modularity. I saw they will offer soon also a flat bed option but not sure what's the timing on that. I wonder if you can get the topper first and then eventually do the bed swap.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I haven't updated in a while, so here's a few minor details. Right now the MITS alloy tray and canopy are on hold; I just can't justify spending $30,000 on an accessory for a $60,000 truck. I still love the utility and the look, but it's just not practical. We're not really satisfied with our current bed rack - there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and love the sporty look, but it makes loading out for a trip when we're not taking the trailer difficult. The spare tire carrier really eats up a lot of bed real estate, and of course nothing is secured. A search for a better solution is still underway.

In the meantime, I took the opportunity to make some simple improvements. First off, the tailgate was pretty plain so on went a set of TVD vinyl lettering insert decals. They were pretty easy to apply and were far cheaper than the Chevy factory accessory.
unnamed (10).jpg

I also really hate having leather seats in a truck built for spending time in the dirt. They're hot, sticky, and not very durable - I've already had one seat bottom replaced under warranty because the piping fell apart. I like the Chevy Carhartt seat covers but they are very spendy and I don't like what Carhartt has mandated for its employees over the last year or two, so I looked for a similar but cheaper alternative. Most aftermarket seat covers seam to be fake leather (i.e. vinyl or PU) so that didn't solve the sticky problem, and I liked the look of a lot of the aftermarket wetsuit-type seats but it gets fricking cold where we live (like -40) so I wanted maximum seat heater efficiency and they're not cheap either. I found these at Duluth Trading Company - they're not a perfect fit and are a bit funky, but I like the heavy canvas or duck cloth material and I got them on sale for about $50 each so they'll do unless I find something I like better. Plus, they have zippered map pockets in the back so I didn't lose paper map storage (even though I'm an electronic mapping junkie, I always carry paper backups). I got the matching collapsible trash bucket too :grin:.
unnamed (8).jpg
unnamed (9).jpg

What's next on the horizon? Potential winter projects include finishing the exterior lighting that's been on hold for the summer, finding a better water storage solution, and the ever-nagging bed rack issue. Plus, I still want to do a front bumper hoop, winch, a few more skids, and a snorkel. Time and money! Stay tuned!