Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (WK2)
Current Setup: Uconnect 5.0 RA2 Stock Head Unit, Phone mounted to the left of screen for on-road navigation, Samsung Tab S5E mounted to the right for Off-road navigation

My Jeep radio just pulled a Jeep and stopped working in hot weather! Looking at replacements, very few of them retain factory body controls/settings (DRL, mirror settings, etc.) unless I get another factory one. Jeep is VERY proud of them and have gone as far as VIN locking units so that they must be programmed before they will work in the Grand Cherokee. That means a trip to the dealership or a custom ordered unit ($$$). To the aftermarket we turn!

Requirements for this system:
1. It turns on when it's hot outside.
2. Ability to add approach camera for using offroad
3. Ability to run both Google Maps and GaiaGPS from a single station
4. Custom Apps/built in music storage for when in the back country without service for streaming
5. Control of Auxiliary lights and accessories (minimum 8 circuits)
6. Looks factory AF

I currently have on order a Tesla style 10.4" Android head unit from Phoenix Automotive since, on paper, it looks like it should be able to check all of the above boxes. Once the slow boat from China gets here and goes through sanitization, this can really get rolling. I'm building an Android App to control an Arduino-based Bluetooth relay board in the meantime. <sarcasm> Should be a nice little weekend project </sarcasm>

Phase 1: (Completed)
Radio install and all plug-and-play accessories

This is the EXACT model radio that I've purchased (link), along with the aftermarket front facing camera (link). A custom mount will be fabbed once the camera comes in. I'm thinking about placing it at the top of the center ring inside of the grille.

Once parts start rolling in, I'll provide updates on the install and my opinions on the equipment

Phase 2: (Work in progress)
Reconfigure existing aux power circuits

Phase 3: (Work in progress)
Custom App for Bluetooth interface. Custom Bluetooth controller for aux accessories

Last edited:

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I've read good reviews about that unit. They make a slightly different version for the JK/JL/JT dash.

Something to consider... running a GoPro via BT to avoid wiring in a camera that is going to take a beating in the grill?

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I've read good reviews about that unit. They make a slightly different version for the JK/JL/JT dash.

Something to consider... running a GoPro via BT to avoid wiring in a camera that is going to take a beating in the grill?
I was thinking about the possibility of it catching rocks going down the trail and breaking the glass. Luckily the version that I purchased has a quick connect a couple of feet down the cable to make swapping out the camera pretty easy. Plus for $40 bucks, it wouldn't be a huge loss if it did shatter. I do like where your head is at though, especially because it would allow me to record the trail for YouTube purposes.

There was one that I saw for the JK that actually already had the Aux controls built in, but alas there is no such luck for the small WK2 crowd that actually goes on the trail

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I have light pod mounts on the A pillars (no light mounted) of my JKU and mount my GoPro there. No issues with rocks on the A pillar. Adding a RAM mount to the grab bar on the passenger dash for her phone to mount to.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Phase 1 is complete! I installed my Phoenix radio and have it tweaked to about 85% of how I want it. The stock GUI that came with it was pretty bad and couldn't be customized, so I ditched it in favor of FCC Car Launcher. I was planning on flashing a different ROM to it, but there is no support for the MCU version this unit has. If you want to follow in my footsteps, make sure that you get a head unit that is based on a MTCB MCU. Tons of support on those.

Things I can confirm:
1. This will run GaiaGPS and pretty much all Android apps
2. Multiple cameras are supported (Front, Sides, and rear) and can be accessed while driving
3. Fit and finish is 7/10. Biggest complaint is that the bottom of the bezel doesn't fully match the contour of the rest of the console. It sticks out a little above the cubby door, but not really noticeable unless you're running your finger along it.
4. I forgot how empty feeling an Android device is when it's not connected to the internet. I'll be looking into hot spot options in the future
5. There was no appreciable decrease in audio quality. If anything, it's better now since it has a full EQ interface and the old unit only gave the option to tweak Bass, Treble, and Mids

Things I don't like:
1. The AC controls interface is clunky AF. It seems to have been an afterthought in the design of the GUI. For example: if you have Celsius selected for the readout of the auto-air setting, it displays the number for Fahrenheit with the unit of Celsius. If you set it to Fahrenheit, it then converts THAT number to Fahrenheit and uses the correct unit. That means the AC is on almost full blast cold when it is set to 65C or 150F.
2. I can't figure out how to hide the top app tray to get a full screen experience. I'm pretty much forced to work within a 6x5 area instead of getting to use the majority of the 10.4" screen
3. The screen doesn't quite get bright enough for my liking. With the amount of glare that it is capable of, I'd like to see more backlighting as an option.
4. It seems to struggle with auto-playing music through YT Music on startup. It gets it eventually, but it takes a bit if you don't do it manually. Haven't tried with any other app yet.
5. Sometimes the unit doesn't come on immediately after starting the car. It's almost like it crashes out when coming back from sleep mode. I've noticed it mostly if I had driven for about 15 minutes, then start it back up. It will sit with a blank screen, then pop up the boot logo and fully restart. Not the biggest deal because the radio is typically fully booted by the time I get out the parking lot. The backup camera is still functioning during boot up, so its more of an annoyance than a real problem.

I posted a video on YouTube about the install. I'm wanting to get a couple of more hours under my belt before I do a full review video. You can see it here: