NC4RNNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winston Salem
Member #

With enough warning I can make my schedule pretty flexible

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Nice build thread NCTrooper! At the risk of being a buttinski... if you guys are looking for more company, I'd love to hit uwharrie with a small group. Makes it a lot more fun and you don't have to worry about getting stuck alone.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: NC-Trooper

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Nice build thread NCTrooper! At the risk of being a buttinski... if you guys are looking for more company, I'd love to hit uwharrie with a small group. Makes it a lot more fun and you don't have to worry about getting stuck alone.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Thanks! That sounds awesome with enough warning I can do Uwharrie anytime. I live only an hour away.

Reactions: NC4RNNR

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

As usual I diverted my attention from my original plan. I decided it was time to invest in tools, recovery equipment, and some maintenance.

First up were my brakes, they started squeaking on the trails at last months Uwharrie Rigs and Coffee and continued to get worse. So I swapped the front brake pads and they still squeaked like hell. So I begrudgingly swapped the front rotors knowing I'd have to take the hubs off as well. 5 hours later and a huge learning curve since this was my first time I got the new rotors on the front. The performance boast was great but they still squeaked or so I thought... it was the back rotors the whole time!!

So I swapped those out in about an hour and there were no hubs to remove.

Sorry for the poor quality it was like midnight, but this is the hub I had to wrestle with. The previous owner had an affinity for locktite and it was miserable.

This is the rear brakes from the day after. The pads were paper thin! I greased everything up while I was in there so hopefully next time it much easier.

Next the rear carpet had to go, it was just done for and had a funky smell. There is no aftermarket pre modeled carpet for 2nd generation Troopers sadly. I've searched and called everywhere.

I ripped it out and went to work. I cleaned the flooring and sprayed it with rubberized undercoating to help with noise and temperature control. I kept the original rubber padding and used multipurpose carpeting from Lowe's. I used 3M adhesive spray to attach the carpet to the padding. I needs some trimming and massaging but it was dark and starting to storm. As for the wheel wells I'm going to try to find some at the junkyard or just truck bed line them.
Here's the process start to finish:

Lastly I added my high lift jack. I used quick fist to mount it. It is from smittybilt and it seems to be ok, the paint chipped after once use which is annoying. $50 off amazon so I can't complain. I love the color though.

Toying with my road trip setup. I've got all my tools and recovery gear up in the box. It was $15 at Walmart but needs water proofing. Normally I store it inside but for today I'm going to drive around and see how it does. I can't fit it and my sleeping setup inside at the same time.

Thanks for reading!

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I like what you did with the carpet removal and the bedliner. First class [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I've been really busy with work and adventuring so I have no time to update on the Trooper build. I have had a couple of good wheeling trips. Here are some pics:

The objective of the Trooper is to really get out and away from all the noise so I am looking into ways and investing in making it as bullet proof as possible. For me personally overlanding is about getting out and away to remote places and exploring them. Weekend camping at campsites with showers and all that is fun and totally great especially with kids but at this point in my life with just the wife, the dog, and I I'm looking for a little more rugged adventures.

Okay back off of the rabbit trail...

The Trooper is an animal of road but the IFS is limiting its potential. The IFS makes wheeling fun though because the lack of articulation can be made up for with some skill. With that being said I plan on beefing the IFS pretty soon to prevent trail breakages.

I have heard too many horror stories of theses transmissions going out so I invested in a transmission cooler.

It is super easy to install and hopefully prolongs the transmissions life.

I headed up right after the install to American Adventurist's Appalachian Rendezvous and it was awesome. It was my first official overland event of any kind and it was awesome.

Here is a look the camping setup in the back of the Trooper. I said I would post photos in an earlier post but never got around it it.

As for upgrades and parts on the Trooper, I have bought some goodies but have not installed them.

The skid plate will replace the OEM and give the oil pan the protection it needs. The springs are Old Man Emu's/ARBs for the rear. The Trooper has a saggy butt especially when there is anything in the back. These new ones should be much more heavy duty. The Trasharoo I bought from Southeast Overland. They are a local shop that gave me a great deal at Overland Expo East.

I Installed a snorkel off Amazon and I love the way it looks. I think it makes the Trooper look so much more legit and it should give me the ability to get to some pretty remote places. I'll get a differential breather so I won't be all show and no go but I am trying to figure out which ARB kit is most likely to fit. The snorkel kit itself came with no instructions which made me very irritated. I used Expedition Overland's how to video which helped but if I had to do it again I would just buy a Safari snorkel.

Future upgrades:

Ball joint spacers to help the IFS with the torsion bars being cranked and improve the ride quality. The trouble will end up sitting 3" taller than stock as I am planning on going to 33" inch tires one day so I am also going to get extended brake lines as well.

Troopers have super fragile steering from the factory and I don't want to lose the ability out in the middle of nowhere so I gotta beef that up.

So apparently Jeep JK bumpers can fit on Troopers with a little modification and fab work so that's the new plan. Spending $1000 on an ARB just is unreasonable to me with this rig. If I had a late model truck then maybe but I paid $1,800 for the Isuzu. I got all this off the Planet Isuzu forum so take it for what it is worth.

At last by not least my patches are growing rapidly. Going to Overland Expo East really helped my patch game. You know you're doing it right when you have to get in the back seat to get all your patches in frame.The sticker window has been evolving as well.

Thanks for reading

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I really enjoyed reading your build. I am in a similar situation with my trooper and reading what you have done with yours has gotten me inspired again.

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Love this build! My Wife and I had a 1990 Trooper and a 1991 Trooper, and loved them both. The 90 was sold with just over 275K on it, still running well, though you could see daylight through it, and the 91 was traded in favor of a RAV4. while basically stock, with the exception of 30X9.5 tires, it went just about everywhere my lifted YJ did. Spent may a night sleeping in the back while on the trail.

Awesome build, looking forward to reading more!

Reactions: T-88 and NC-Trooper

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

So sad news, well I guess bittersweet. The Trooper build on my end is complete. I recently replaced the shocks after busting the pro comps to Skyjacker M95s. They are awesome and I replaced the rear spring with an expedition duty. So the Trooper sits at about 3”.

Bad news is that I am selling the Trooper. It runs great and has given me no real issues that have not been self inflicted by me not being a real mechanic. (All those issues were remedied by an actual professional) I just have grown weary of the lack of aftermarket and OEM parts out there. The upkeep is too much for me and my wife as we are just starting off our lives together. Junk yard parts hunting is fun but can get old really fast.

With that being said I am moving on to a TOYOTA... DUN DUN DUN! I recently bought a 2007 Tacoma 4x4. I let someone else take the financial hit of installing some goodies and I look forward to continuing this new build someone else started.

It is a one owner SC car so none of that Yankee rust to worry about. Thanks for keeping up with the Trooper build, and joining me on this journey. It is not for sale at the moment but will be in the following weeks. I’d love to see it go to someone who knows and loves Isuzus. She’s been a great ride.

You can follow my journey and adventures on Instagram @teamhollandoverland and my blog at teamhollandoverland.wordpress.com

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Thanks for keeping up with the Trooper build, and joining me on this journey. It is not for sale at the moment but will be in the following weeks. I’d love to see it go to someone who knows and loves Isuzus. She’s been a great ride.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Here is a photo of the broken Pro Comp shock. The extenders didn’t quite make it.

Just some random photos of the old girl.

Reactions: Jimmy P

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I am feeling the itch for another Trooper...

Hopefully I will have some good news in the next couple weeks.