Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've spent many days and nights in the back country and know how to take a sh*t in the back country. Being a newbie to large group outings, aside from a year in one middle eastern desert, how do we do the duty during OTG? I'm pretty sure, although not certain, port-a-potties won't be flown in.

"Just say'in" as my wife would say.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Dig a hole, cop a squat, fill in the hole. Stay 50+ feet from a water source and away from high traffic areas. I usually have a roll of biodegradable TP, but regular TP degrades fairly quickly. Bury it good and no one will know, especially if it is off the beaten path.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Usually 200' is preferred around water sources. Camp Edison does have heated bathrooms, including showers. You need to get the tokens near the camp entrance for them.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
What @NorCalCrisp said. We chose a basecamp with facilities to appeal to a wide range of comfort levels. The "Off the Grid" is our trail run. No toilets on the trail!
I assumed there wouldn't be facilities on the trail. I'd hate to come across facilities while down range.

I was asking about toilets, in part because I didn't know what was available at camp, but mainly because I figured there were people out there that wanted to ask but didn't know how to bring up this stink'in subject.

Along the same line of questions, what about showers? My sister will be riding along with me and will want to know. If there are showers, I assume they will require tokens if toilets require them. BTW, what are the tokens worth, how many to use the porcelain, how many for a shower?

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My sister won't use a bumper dumper nor would she like my use of such an apparatus. :confounded:

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I assumed there wouldn't be facilities on the trail. I'd hate to come across facilities while down range.

I was asking about toilets, in part because I didn't know what was available at camp, but mainly because I figured there were people out there that wanted to ask but didn't know how to bring up this stink'in subject.

Along the same line of questions, what about showers? My sister will be riding along with me and will want to know. If there are showers, I assume they will require tokens if toilets require them. BTW, what are the tokens worth, how many to use the porcelain, how many for a shower?
https://www.sunrisereservations.com/campground/Camp+Edison

If you want to take a shower, you will need a shower card. Toilets are free.

Personally, I'll bathe in the lake.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Definitely the lake. My living in Washington, my sister living in California, I see her infrequently. I guessing though, she will want the shower. Thanks for the info.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

It's the nicest cleanest campground bathrooms I've ever seen. The host was blissfully OCD!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
WAG bags on the trail, No stink and legal to drop in a trash can when available!!!!!!

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Bumper Dumper review from Amazon....
"
I'm an unlicensed private investigator, and I was given a prototype Bumper Dumper from the manufacturer after I did some smear work (no pun intended) to one of his competitors. I threw it in the back of my pickup and kinda forgot about it. A few months went by, and my wife and I were tailing a suspected cheater one night on about a 40 mile drive from one town to the next to visit his girlfriend. We were about 15 minutes in when my stomach starts telling me that my visit to the Mexi-teria buffet earlier that evening was probably a mistake. I tried to fight what was coming, but I quickly came to the realization that I was fighting a losing battle with my colon, and the chase would have to be called-off.

I was looking in my rearview mirror to make sure it was safe to turn around, when in the reflected headlights I noticed the Bumper Dumper Portable Toilet. Over my wife's protests, I formulated a plan to stay on the adulterer while simultaneously taking care of my other, very persistent "client."

I pulled over, and with NASCAR pit-crew speed I was able to grab the dumper, effortlessly slide it into my trailer hitch receiver, and secure it tightly with the supplied locking bar. I also used a racheting tie-down (not included) to secure myself to the truck. Meanwhile my wife had moved to the driver's seat and with a loud rap on the tailgate to let her know I was seated, we were back in pursuit.

While my wife was struggling to catch up to the assailant, I was in pure bliss. If you've never egested while traveling at 70 mph, with the wind blowing through your hair, well you've never lived brother. The Mexi-teria ensured that the process was smooth and effortless, while the Bumper Dumper kept me feeling safe and secure.

The only real issue came when a car full of high school kids came up behind us and turned their high-beams on me for an extended amount of time while they laughed and took pictures. I'm not easily embarassed, but my fear was that the activity would draw unnecessary attention from our mark up ahead. Since my wife was keeping a good distance from him, these fears prove to be unfounded. I was also able to get the license plate number of the kids...the now-full Bumper Dumper would come in handy again when it came time to take my revenge.

I attempted to wipe using the supplied toilet paper, but with the wind it proved impossible. I was forced to wait until we stopped to take care of this, which is why I could only give the Bumper Dumper four stars. I suppose they could attach some kind of fairing to help with this.

Anyways, once we arrived at the girlfriend's house and I was able to wipe off, we were able to get all the pictures we needed for our client. Without the Bumper Dumper portable toilet, I would not have been able to continue the case that night, costing me money. A really, really solid (pun intended) product."
click to expand the above quote
Just thought I'd share, lol.

There are also the Restop products. I used the big bags for our little port-a-potty at base camp.... I think we have the Luggable Loo.
http://www.whennaturecalls.com/

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thanks for the tip. I read the reviews online. Seems like Restop gets the best reviews. Just over $6.02 on Amazon.

Reactions: Winterpeg