Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6KRF
These Tommy Bahama chairs from Costco

They recline all the way back, like flat and parallel to the ground. I've taken naps in these with a small cooler as a foot rest.
Not so great in terms of packability, but packs about as well as you might expect a typical lawn chair would. They are very comfortable though, and light, and pretty cheap.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I find the full size sling chairs great. I think ours are from Walmart and we've had them a good ten years. Problem is, they take up a lot of space so I got a couple Helinox clones made by Trekology. Not good for long sits but good enough for a couple hours and very compact and lightweight. And in a side by side comparo, I liked the Trekologys better, especially for less than half the price.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I find the full size sling chairs great. I think ours are from Walmart and we've had them a good ten years. Problem is, they take up a lot of space so I got a couple Helinox clones made by Trekology. Not good for long sits but good enough for a couple hours and very compact and lightweight. And in a side by side comparo, I liked the Trekologys better, especially for less than half the price.
I think this is what we're running with now that there are anywhere from 2-5 of going. Either it's that brand or something equivalent. Great chairs regardless!

Reactions: Drifterman and CSG

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

They are a PITA to set up and repackage but they are small and only weigh a couple pounds.

Reactions: Drifterman

Free-Roemer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ammon, ID, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Roemer
Member #

I’ve always liked the collapsible chairs from REI, but they’re quite pricey. Turns out Eddie Bauer makes identical yet sturdier versions. And now REI makes a wood-top table short enough for these chairs. It turns out to be a solid setup.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
20 years ago we bought a pair of $25 chairs from the Ames dept store chain.. cheap but effective as we still use them for yard and garage chairs, ( yard games, tapper sessions, poker, darts, etc ) thinking the old chairs were on their last leg we got a pair of chairs from REI to replace them over 2 years ago. They are the big ones, nice and comfy and very durable. Based on the price point these chairs should last 100 years as the old Ames chairs are still holding up well.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Just bought this Ozark Trail Bungie Chair for $40.
Would I buy it again, Yes.
Would I recommend this chair, Yes.

Pros’s - very comfortable, adjustable cup holder, high back so you can rest your head and star gaze, shoulder strap on the chair, mesh back for those hot days.

Con’s - Bulky, storage bag is very thin, one cup holder.

IMG_3122.JPG

JNewton99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Center, TX, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Talk about a chair overload. I'm gonna have to do some reviewing. I have the old Walmart camp chairs but its definitely time for an upgrade!

Baldspot82

Rank 0

Contributor I

Not sure how this will post (apparently better if you looking at it from a browser not the OB TALK APP) but this is by far my favorite chair. It’s compact and comfortable. I have 4 of them.
Terralite Portable Camp Chair. Perfect for Camping, Beach, Backpacking & Outdoor Festivals. Compact & Heavy Duty (Supports 300 lbs). Includes TerraGrip Feet- Won’t Sink in The Sand or Mud.

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

An option I haven't seen mentioned yet, which I think may be the best budget option, is the ozark trail high back mesh hard arm chair:
oztrailchair.jpg

I paid something like $25CAD for mine. It functions similarly to a traditional camp chair, with several key differences. The seat is flat, unlike the horrible sag of a traditional chair, the arms are solid of course, and the construction is generally more sturdy. It makes for an extremely comfortable chair. The cup holder, although it seems like a bit of an afterthought, functions just fine and is well built.

If money were no object, I would likely choose a different option like the Front Runner, but for the budget conscious overlander, this chair is honestly hard to beat.

Reactions: DMS1

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
An option I haven't seen mentioned yet, which I think may be the best budget option, is the ozark trail high back mesh hard arm chair:
View attachment 199096

I paid something like $25CAD for mine. It functions similarly to a traditional camp chair, with several key differences. The seat is flat, unlike the horrible sag of a traditional chair, the arms are solid of course, and the construction is generally more sturdy. It makes for an extremely comfortable chair. The cup holder, although it seems like a bit of an afterthought, functions just fine and is well built.

If money were no object, I would likely choose a different option like the Front Runner, but for the budget conscious overlander, this chair is honestly hard to beat.

We use the Sams Club version of that chair and they are very comfortable and only cost $20.00

Reactions: Michael1978