Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I know this topic is somewhat subjective based on the different preferences, body types, and travel styles. But I think it would be cool if we could all share our camp chairs and why we selected them.

Here's a few questions:

What are the pro's and con's of your chair?
What is the price point?
How much does it weigh?
How bulky/cumbersome is it to pack and setup?

My two chairs consist of a $20 bare-bones camp chair from Big-5 and a rocking chair variation from Cabelas.

The basic chair is ok but cuts into your thighs after sitting for a while. You have to slouch back into the chair to alleviate this which makes eating a challenge. However, it's inexpensive and packs up quick.

The rocking chair is a step up in comfort but comes with a higher price tag ($50 on sale). I have to say I enjoy the novelty of a rocking chair in camp about 20% of the time. The rest of the time it's hassle due to its size, weight, and nearly two-man job setup. It also creates a hazard around a fire due to the rockers creating a tripping hazard. I believe I'm going to retire this chair to home use and replace it with something a bit more user friendly.

We no longer use the Ciao! baby high chair in the picture but if you have a young one this thing is the ticket for corralling the kid during meal times. Just make sure you keep it on a level surface.
20140812_151453.jpg

So, pull up a seat and let's talk chairs...

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Welcome back, @stringtwelve! I'll be interested to see what folks suggest.

On our travels, we used two cheap Wal-Mart bag chairs, due to having no extra room after all our daughter's crap. We used the same when going to Florida. After those two trips, with the chairs in the roof basket, the bags are shredding.

Our daughter did swim team for several years, which means we sit around for five to six hours a couple times a week. The cheap bag chairs hurt my lower back, so we bought some chairs another family had. They are Tommy Bahama branded bag chairs that we got a BJ's Warehouse. They have a better defined lower back section rather than the typical sling, and the back can recline. I use it as upright as possible. I can't even find photos of them now, but they look pretty much like this:

I think they were $45 each five years ago. I don't regret it at all. They will be our camp chairs on future trips. They have a much heavier duty bag, so should last longer than the ~10k miles the cheap ones did.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I'm still searching for the perfect camping chair. My wife and I are very close to actually buying a 5th wheel and living in it permanently. So I'm on the hunt for some decent chairs.
That's awesome! We're full-timers too, its got its challenges but we are enjoying it so far. (I don't want to redirect the thread so maybe we can start a full-timers thread in off topic.)

What chairs are you looking at now? The ARB chair has caught my eye recently: http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-SPORT-CAMPING-CHAIR-10500100-P22560C18.aspx

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

My concern with the ARB type chairs is the aluminum arm rests. Those have to get scorching hot in the SW sun! Same with the ones with dark hard plastic arm rests.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Here's our Tommy Bahama from BJ Wholesale Club, along with a no-name bag table I got probably 20 years ago.

Speaking of tables, I also have a huge ALPS Mountaineering Guide Table that I got off of a daily steals place for half price. 22" X 61" top, and adjustable to three different heights: 30", 35.5", and 42", the latter a great height for a camp kitchen. It all folds up in a 25 pound bag.

If the table is any indication of their product quality, take a look at their wide selection of camp chairs, too. http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/furniture

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I use Cabellas rocking chair and the regular one, they're bulky but last forever and are very comfortable. I also have their lounger that we bought when my wife was pregnant but we only used it once and found it was a waste of money lol

Reactions: Drifterman

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That's awesome! We're full-timers too, its got its challenges but we are enjoying it so far. (I don't want to redirect the thread so maybe we can start a full-timers thread in off topic.)

What chairs are you looking at now? The ARB chair has caught my eye recently: http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-SPORT-CAMPING-CHAIR-10500100-P22560C18.aspx
I've seen the ARB and like them. Right now we use some cheaper chairs with the canvas arms. I like the Tommy Bahama chairs that Steve posted. I'm going to start searching for wooden armed fold up chairs. We've been looking at Dick's and other sporting goods stores for better chairs than what we have. I'm going to have to start scouring the internet.

Reactions: Drifterman

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have a couple of generic cloth folding camp chairs, no idea where they were purchased at this point, but they were not expensive. They have lasted very well despite many years of abuse. The covers are torn in several places and one chair was ripped next to the post when it was set up improperly and someone "flopped" into it; it's still hanging on.

These are a mid-back chair with no tables or fancy features, so they pack up pretty small. They are not particularly light weight, but also not heavy - I wouldn't want to haul them any farther than the cheap seats for an outdoor concert.

Weight: 3/5
Size: 3/5
Comfort: 4/5
Durability: 4/5
Value for money: 5/5

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

We've been using three different types of chairs on and off for few years. We have a couple if this style;
bl_134683_a (1).jpg
These are the ones we use most and I built the storage in the rig to work around. They've needed the fabric re-riveting at the arms and back but otherwise been good.
I also have one of these.
oztent-kokoda-chair-background-removed-616.jpg
This is my favorite, very comfy and stable but very heavy.
Then we have a couple of these;
expander_views.jpg
Very compact, and two can easily be carried in the bag that goes with them. Only downside is they tend to tip easily on uneven surfaces.

rixham

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ
My concern with the ARB type chairs is the aluminum arm rests. Those have to get scorching hot in the SW sun! Same with the ones with dark hard plastic arm rests.
I have a set and the arms surprisingly don't get that hot, even in direct sunlight on a 95 degree day.

rixham

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ
We've been using three different types of chairs on and off for few years. We have a couple if this style;
View attachment 2784
These are the ones we use most and I built the storage in the rig to work around. They've needed the fabric re-riveting at the arms and back but otherwise been good.
I also have one of these.
View attachment 2782
This is my favorite, very comfy and stable but very heavy.
Then we have a couple of these;
View attachment 2783
Very compact, and two can easily be carried in the bag that goes with them. Only downside is they tend to tip easily on uneven surfaces.
I agree... I love the OZ tent chairs, but the are HEAVY and bulky when packed.

Reactions: Drifterman and Tim