The Search for the BEST Overland Camp Chair

• HTML tutorial

DesertWalker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cave Creek, AZ
Member #

I use the Woody Beach Chair from Wet Dreams river supply with a Thurmarest seat pad. Not the cheapest option, but it is comfortable and well made. I really like the flat angled back, and the seat doesn't dig into my thighs at all. My only complaint is that it is low to the ground. So it can be slightly difficult to get out of. Also you can't effectively sit around a table unless it has short legs.

http://www.wetdreamsriversupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=190

https://www.thermarest.com/catalog/product/view/id/16715/category/128/

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Drifterman

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

I'm considering getting a couple of these Front Runner Expander Chairs. They collapse for storage to the size of a laptop bag.

Has anyone any experience of these?

View attachment 32749
View attachment 32750
I have a couple of these and like them. They sit you pretty upright so we use them primarily for meals and use a couple of Strongback chairs for lounging around the campfire etc.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I sat in one of the Helinox Chair Ones this weekend and I rally liked it. For those that have it and the cheaper versions of it, do you think its handy for just popping up for a quick rest break on the trail?

Also, does it hold up ok to soft surfaces like sand and mud? I've seen that they sell a piece that attaches to the legs to keep it from sinking in on the softer surfaces but that adds to the complexity of setting it up and I think would make it cumbersome for my intended use.

nismoz33

Rank 0

Traveler I

I tried a cheap version of the Helinox chair & it didn't come up very high on the back. Sat in an actual Helinox at Overland Expo East & it was way more comfortable but twice the price. ENO came out with a similar chair & it is the same price as a Helinox but more comfortable. Something to look into.

citybiker

Rank 0

Contributor II

UK
First Name
C
Last Name
C
We have Helinox chairs, overall very lightweight and compact.

We use a cheap ground sheet to avoid any sinking of the feet, or cheap beer coasters.
&
Helinox also does a high back version for those who seek that added snooze factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Sounds good guys. I'll probably wind up with one of them then.

I'm not sure those blue ridge chairs are what I'm wanting. I want something compact, light and easy to deal with. I'm not so much liking for use at camp, but at stops along the way for lunch or just hanging out for a bit.

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I can throw in a vote for the SnowPeak Low Beach Chair. One of my most treasured pieces of touring equipment

* sits low and comfortable
* high back for sitting back and stargazing
* good balance between upright for meals and comfort
* soft thick canvas
* does not cut into back of your legs
* bamboo armrests
* easy to open and close
* skinny but long profile when packed up

Managed to convert two penny-pinchers to upgrade after they tried mine. I have the orange, has faded over the years but still as solid as ever.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Like many of us I've tried a number of different chairs, I always end up coming back around to the cloth and metal tube folding type camp chairs. I've tested some of the other designs and just never got comfortable in them. My standard chair bit the dust two or three years ago and I spent months finding the right replacement, I couldn't tell you how many I sat in. By far the best chair I found was this one from the Travel Chair company:https://travelchair.com/products/easy-rider-model-589v

It was missing it's tags in-store and it was their last one but wouldn't leave without it. For the size and comfort it packs into a relatively small sack compared to similarly sized chairs out there. Quality of materials is also very good. Might be worth a look.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
My favorite camp chair I've ever used is my Zero Gravity Chair. Super comfortable and you can kick it out like a recliner for power nap emergencies.

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

I normally use Cabela's rocking camping chairs, but they take up so much space. I just picked up a couple of these guys on amazon to lighten the load. 81K4L2RHTvL__SL1500_.jpg

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I have been using the Pico chair for a number of years. Super compact, easy to deploy once you learn the routine and comfy upright chair seating. Awesome.

Reactions: Quicksilver

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I own a couple of the Kermit Wide chairs with the leg extensions. I've owned a lot of chairs over the years and these are a great compromise between comfort and packed down size.

Pros:
- Very small packed up footprint
- Durable
- Strong (high weight rating)
- Director style
- Configurable as a low chair or standard height chair with the leg extension accessory

Cons:
- Expensive
- Must be assembled as opposed to just unfolded
- No built I side table

-Curtiss

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I agree the Kermit chairs are great, but setup time killed it for me. When I get to camp or grabbing lunch, I want immediate deployment.

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

I have to put my vote in for my current favorite chair being the Big Agnes Helinox. I won one of these at Expo East and after spending some time in it over the weekend knew that I would need to get a second one for the wife. It’s easy enough to setup and break down and does not use a bunch of space when stored. When I was talking with the guys from Big Agnes they told me the chairs have a lifetime warranty and they have a shop in CO that does the warranty work. Also, the chairs are rated at 320lbs Looking at them I would have never guessed.

Reactions: TerryD

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

I normally use Cabela's rocking camping chairs, but they take up so much space. I just picked up a couple of these guys on amazon to lighten the load. View attachment 38512
After 1st use, the compact were not bad. Took only a minute to put together, sturdy, and comfortable. Plus, they are super small and light. Downside- no armrest or cup holder. Good outweighed the bad for me.