Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Looks like he is using the hitch at the rack mount.

Sent from my LGL33L using OB Talk mobile app
He is. His mounts go into the square tube that is parallel to his bumper. It looks like a 3 piece mount so he can slide it all apart and be right back to stock if he so chooses.

It's not what I plan to do but I've never seen one done that way so I thought I'd share.

I have an issue with mine... the only spot to mount my pin and latch will block my backup lights and partially block my taillights. That is only if I still want to open my tailgate. So I'm 90% sure that I'm going to build my swing out to be removable and have in go into my two outside receivers. This way all my hardware will be down flush with top of my bumper. Plus I'll be able to use it in my front bumper or rear.

When I build the front I'm going to match the positions of the 3 hitch receivers pictured.

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Reactions: caleath

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I was having the same issue..mine is a hatchback of sorts. The latch and pivot are going to block the back up lights some...I am installing some flush mount led lights and hooking them up for new backups . I am also going to try and match the tubes front and back..not sure I am going to be able to..but will try. I want to build a small basket type deal so I can put deer and dead stuff in it when hunting. Dont want all the blood etc in my truck. I will probably use it on the front mostly and it will hinge so I can fold it up when I dont need it. Not sure if this makes sense or not...I usually dont.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I was having the same issue..mine is a hatchback of sorts. The latch and pivot are going to block the back up lights some...I am installing some flush mount led lights and hooking them up for new backups . I am also going to try and match the tubes front and back..not sure I am going to be able to..but will try. I want to build a small basket type deal so I can put deer and dead stuff in it when hunting. Dont want all the blood etc in my truck. I will probably use it on the front mostly and it will hinge so I can fold it up when I dont need it. Not sure if this makes sense or not...I usually dont.
Clear as mud! Lol! [emoji6] no, I get it, it's a good plan. I drive my truck almost daily and as I add more stuff to it, it obviously get heavier and harder on the gas bill so my thinking is that I can sorta have the best of both worlds if I make it removable. I can gear up when goin on a trip or gear down for around town.

I'm still in the planning/get off your butt and do phase.

I just sourced a stage 4 rebuilt kit for my junkyard 4l80e so that has my attention at the moment.

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Not much really...been very busy with work etc...I really need to get back to finishing up some of it.
I here ya... I've been working on stuff for my rig but not actually working on it.

Today was / is (I'm taking a break from grinding) my first day fooling around with it and it's a little overwhelming how much I still have to do.

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pretty much done other than painting...might build fuel and water storage not sure yet...its getting kinda heavy back there.
Its boxier than i wanted but its strong and easily repairable too...I have the best ground clearance I can get at this point...

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I heard that... my stuff is getting pretty heavy too. I'm in that kinda sucky place where I have to figure out what to loose and what to keep. I don't want to end up with a big ol' [emoji90] that can't even get out of its own way.
Pretty much done other than painting...might build fuel and water storage not sure yet...its getting kinda heavy back there.
Its boxier than i wanted but its strong and easily repairable too...I have the best ground clearance I can get at this point...

Sent from my SM-N900T using OB Talk mobile app