The Old Goat

• HTML tutorial

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Plans include 4 inch lift...moving to 16 inch wheels...not sure what tire size just yet. I am in the process of adding a 2nd battery and all the wiring associated with it. Over head console for cb and the Ham radio I need to get my crap together and get my license for. Spare tire rack for the rear and a roof rack. Who knows from there..I will add some more pictures as I move along....thanks for watching.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Those are real nice vehicles. I used to 4 wheel with a couple while stationed in Turkey that had one.

Last edited:
Reactions: caleath

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Worked on my wiring etc today....got my relays in and have been soldering and crimping....

I guess no one is interested in an old Dodge build?

My plans are to use for hunting and getting around...I want to do some more canoeing and general out doors stuff.

I have always wanted to get into storm spotting...ham thing...we have tons of bad weather in this area.

As I approach 50 my knees dont handle the running hiking thing so much anymore.

Reactions: The other Sean

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I love it. I wanted one of those back in the early 90's, but had a Band going and needed more room for gear.

I got side tracked for,...... I don't know........ 25 years or so.......

Never got one, but did get a Bighorn !

Keep those pictures coming!

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Beautiful rig. Where did you find one still alive? We had one when I was in highschool for about a year. The rear end rusted fell off and the brakes rotted. My dad had to drop the plow to stop it when going down the driveway. Sad day. I hoped to have it as my first car.

Can't wait to see where the build goes. A storm rig would be cool!

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Sorry I missed some of the responses. Thanks for those that are interested. These trucks are not common at all here. I cant believe I found one either. The thing isnt pretty but its 99 % rust free.

Update. I worked on the winch bumper this weekend...its not finish welded yet...having to make sure nothing interferes with anything else ya know. I will be adding a brush guard and one more receiver hitch mount to the front .20170410_080801.jpg

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Never can have too many clamps...I have way more than these...I was a mechanic and welder for a few years. My eyesight ...which used to be perfect ..sure causes me issues welding now...looking over bi focals in a helmet is a pain in the butt.20170409_101012.jpg

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

20170411_192233.jpg Now it will be rear bumper time..I want to move the spare out of the back of the truck. Well you cant go down and buy bumpers and tire carriers for these old trucks. I will need a pivot for the tire carrier,,I have looked up the kits for making them....and well I am a cheap skate. I went over to my scrap pile looking for inspiration . I found the rear hub I replaced on the wife's Toyota van. Bearing just had a hum so I figure it will be good for what I need.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

View attachment 20810 Now it will be rear bumper time..I want to move the spare out of the back of the truck. Well you cant go down and buy bumpers and tire carriers for these old trucks. I will need a pivot for the tire carrier,,I have looked up the kits for making them....and well I am a cheap skate. I went over to my scrap pile looking for inspiration . I found the rear hub I replaced on the wife's Toyota van. Bearing just had a hum so I figure it will be good for what I need.
I'm with you man! (Cheap skate) My rear bumper started out as a 8' piece of 4"x8" rectangular tubing.

I just scooped up a free rusty old jeep bumper with all the swing out hardware and plan on cutting and welding and making it work on my tubing bumper.

Also I grabbed a rear bumper that I'm gonna mod to work upfront. It's size and shape was close enough to fitting that it makes sense to use instead of scratch building another one. I'll include some pictures as I get into it.

I dig the old iron! It's cool to see them on the road and on here.

Rock on!

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I'm with you man! (Cheap skate) My rear bumper started out as a 8' piece of 4"x8" rectangular tubing.

I just scooped up a free rusty old jeep bumper with all the swing out hardware and plan on cutting and welding and making it work on my tubing bumper.

Also I grabbed a rear bumper that I'm gonna mod to work upfront. It's size and shape was close enough to fitting that it makes sense to use instead of scratch building another one. I'll include some pictures as I get into it.

I dig the old iron! It's cool to see them on the road and on here.

Rock on!

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban
Rusty we might be related.....anyone can go down and buy stuff and put it one....making it...thats where I get to have fun. ...I really dig your ride too.....I want a jeep wagoneer so I can have a big 4 door rig.