Contributor III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Tseng
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ham
Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours,

Anyone have any questions, please reach out to me by email or ask here!
Hi for some reason I keep getting an error when I try to open the gpx file. could you possibly email it to me at tarbal255@yahoo.com ? Would love to try that trail or at least part of it.

Reactions: Ocram-07

Rangerfan75

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Budd Lake, Mount Olive, NJ, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Magrini
Member #

Xplorr313 just joined overland and looking forward to taking my family on this adventure. I’m from north Jersey so I’m going to do the high point to the reservoir. I will be in wildwood for vacation next week so may take a day trip and hit some of the southern leg. Thanks again for making this possible

Daddio1962

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Budd Lake NJ
First Name
John
Last Name
VanDerZyde
Member #

Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours, dangers, trees down, and anything else that may restrict access to the trail.

If anyone wants a copy of the route, it is FREE and available at the bottom of this post. I will accept donations if you feel inclined to donate to the beer fund. The donations can be sent to xplorr313@gmail.com. The donations are not required though!

Previously I charged for the route due to keeping the route out of the hands of those who were only looking to “off-road” or “wheel” illegally on state land. I received a lot of backlash from the off-roading / Overlanding community for charging for the route. I put over 2 years of my life into making this route, please stay on the path and DO NOT “off-road” or “wheel” off of the path. This could cause closures and could also land you in major trouble with the state, for example: a hefty fine or even vehicle impoundment. I’ve seen and heard about it happening. Do not think it won’t happen to you. The state does have trail cameras along some of the more “prone to off-roading” spots. You will get caught.

The route is current and up to date as of 1-16-2020. The most recent revision of the route was done on 1-16-2020. If you have any version older than 1-16-2020 please reach out to me for an updated version. I will keep this post updated with the most recent version of the route.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LEADNAV APP FOR THE BEST EXPERIENCE. LeadNav is only for iPhones and iPads. The route can be used on other devices, but the route was made with and for LeadNav.

For those of you who are just learning about the Trans New Jersey Trail, the trail is a 450+ mile route that spans from High Point, NJ to Cape May, NJ. The trail consist of asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt, and some mud. The trail is 100% legal for all street legal vehicles. This means you must be registered, insured, and compliant with all DOT regulations (headlights, taillights, seat belts, turn signals, and so on).

The TNJT can be completed in a Subaru as long as the driver is experienced. There is NOTHING complicated on this route. There ARE bypasses for those who do not have a snorkel or the ability to traverse deep mud holes. The bypasses are clearly marked as separate routes. The Zillon Bypass is recommended for those who do not wish to traverse down an extremely tight trail and do not want to risk the couple extremely sloppy mud holes along that part of the TNJT. The Zillon Bypass is 100% asphalt that bypasses the tight trail and sloppy mud holes.

The whole route CAN be done in 3 days. I completed the route in 4 days when I ran it start to end non stop in 2017. My 4th day on the trail only consisted of 50 miles and I could have just finished it on day 3.

The trail has 3 sections North, Central, and South. I consider the North section to go from High Point, NJ to Round Valley Reservoir (Spruce Run Recreation Area [campground]). The Central section to go from Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (camping is available in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest). The South section to go from Brendan T. Byrne State Forest to Cape May, NJ. If you feel inclined to turn it into a 4 day trip, I recommend stopping at Belleplain State Forest for an overnight stay.

I do plan to offer 4 versions of the TNJT. A full length version, which is what I have been passing out to everyone, and the three sections. This will allow daytrippers to do the route one section at a time. I will post when the 4 versions are available. Right now just the whole route is available.

I downloaded the map into Google Maps looks great. I am organizing a trip to do the northern section late August 2021. Thanks for this!

Anyone who is interested in a weekday wheel last week of August message me or reply to this thread.

oliwer78

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sparta, NJ, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sov
Hello, I downloaded the map to gaia and studied it for a bit. Firstly, thanks for providing it, OP.
With some sort of sadness, I admit the northern portion to down south as far as Flemington has literally only one pretty short section unpaved. I gave up checking farther. Another reason to move out of here LOL.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hello, I downloaded the map to gaia and studied it for a bit. Firstly, thanks for providing it, OP.
With some sort of sadness, I admit the northern portion to down south as far as Flemington has literally only one pretty short section unpaved. I gave up checking farther. Another reason to move out of here LOL.
You trying to check out Rausch Creek? Lol

But the area after 6 flags is pretty fun. And there’s a good chunk to explore around there too

Stevwhit

Rank V

Member II

River Edge, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Steven
Last Name
White
Member #

Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours, dangers, trees down, and anything else that may restrict access to the trail.

If anyone wants a copy of the route, it is FREE and available at the bottom of this post. I will accept donations if you feel inclined to donate to the beer fund. The donations can be sent to xplorr313@gmail.com. The donations are not required though!

Previously I charged for the route due to keeping the route out of the hands of those who were only looking to “off-road” or “wheel” illegally on state land. I received a lot of backlash from the off-roading / Overlanding community for charging for the route. I put over 2 years of my life into making this route, please stay on the path and DO NOT “off-road” or “wheel” off of the path. This could cause closures and could also land you in major trouble with the state, for example: a hefty fine or even vehicle impoundment. I’ve seen and heard about it happening. Do not think it won’t happen to you. The state does have trail cameras along some of the more “prone to off-roading” spots. You will get caught.

The route is current and up to date as of 1-16-2020. The most recent revision of the route was done on 1-16-2020. If you have any version older than 1-16-2020 please reach out to me for an updated version. I will keep this post updated with the most recent version of the route.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LEADNAV APP FOR THE BEST EXPERIENCE. LeadNav is only for iPhones and iPads. The route can be used on other devices, but the route was made with and for LeadNav.

For those of you who are just learning about the Trans New Jersey Trail, the trail is a 450+ mile route that spans from High Point, NJ to Cape May, NJ. The trail consist of asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt, and some mud. The trail is 100% legal for all street legal vehicles. This means you must be registered, insured, and compliant with all DOT regulations (headlights, taillights, seat belts, turn signals, and so on).

The TNJT can be completed in a Subaru as long as the driver is experienced. There is NOTHING complicated on this route. There ARE bypasses for those who do not have a snorkel or the ability to traverse deep mud holes. The bypasses are clearly marked as separate routes. The Zillon Bypass is recommended for those who do not wish to traverse down an extremely tight trail and do not want to risk the couple extremely sloppy mud holes along that part of the TNJT. The Zillon Bypass is 100% asphalt that bypasses the tight trail and sloppy mud holes.

The whole route CAN be done in 3 days. I completed the route in 4 days when I ran it start to end non stop in 2017. My 4th day on the trail only consisted of 50 miles and I could have just finished it on day 3.

The trail has 3 sections North, Central, and South. I consider the North section to go from High Point, NJ to Round Valley Reservoir (Spruce Run Recreation Area [campground]). The Central section to go from Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (camping is available in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest). The South section to go from Brendan T. Byrne State Forest to Cape May, NJ. If you feel inclined to turn it into a 4 day trip, I recommend stopping at Belleplain State Forest for an overnight stay.

I do plan to offer 4 versions of the TNJT. A full length version, which is what I have been passing out to everyone, and the three sections. This will allow daytrippers to do the route one section at a time. I will post when the 4 versions are available. Right now just the whole route is available.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, I’m sure it was a lot of work and effort, it is appreciated.

I know one should technically overland in groups for safety and you know, it’s more fun with people. However would you say the northern part of the trip is okay for a solo adventure? I live in the north Bergen County area, and would be traveling south to Spruce Run for a couple night camping trip.

Thought I would ask the expert on their advice. I’m a newbie on the 4X4 trails, so I’m not quite ready for that crazy water crossing this trip, maybe next.

OffRoad

Rank I

Contributor III

Woolwich Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McCulley
Hi Guys, I'm new to the Group, I am Going to be checking out the TNJT again, I was hoping to examine your current version of the TNJT but I am Not having any luck yet, It looks like I was able to successfully download the GPX file from your site. I'm using a Garmin 2595 GPS and Garmin Basecamp App on my PC to make my own custom maps (GPX map files). I'm getting an error "Unknown Error oprning import file"when I try to import your GPX file into Basecamp. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Any way to have the TNJT GPX map file emailed to me

dlsilver

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Ewing, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dina
Last Name
SilbernagelKrohne
Member #

Hi - me and the hubby are in NJ and just starting to outfit our 2014 Nissan Armada Platinum and are really happy to find this thread. It has stock all season 33s on 20” rims and we’re thing of replacing with 33” all terrain. But I’m wondering if we should go for a bigger tire and get smaller rims to increase the sidewall aspect ratio for airing down. I’d prefer not to invest in rims if I don’t need to but want to ask folks who have experience. Believe if I just replace with same size I have 6.5” sidewall with full air…

P275/60r20 114T

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hi - me and the hubby are in NJ and just starting to outfit our 2014 Nissan Armada Platinum and are really happy to find this thread. It has stock all season 33s on 20” rims and we’re thing of replacing with 33” all terrain. But I’m wondering if we should go for a bigger tire and get smaller rims to increase the sidewall aspect ratio for airing down. I’d prefer not to invest in rims if I don’t need to but want to ask folks who have experience. Believe if I just replace with same size I have 6.5” sidewall with full air…

P275/60r20 114T
Are you asking if you should change the wheels for TNJT?

If that’s the question I imagine you should be fine with what you have. I would bring an air compressor and maybe some traction boards for the pine barrens, brook rd and Cary Warren rd.

Daddio1962

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Budd Lake NJ
First Name
John
Last Name
VanDerZyde
Member #

I am going to do the north section of the Trans New Jersey trail tomorrow 8/26/21. I will be in the High Point parking lot by the monument about 9:30. If anyone wants to meet up let me know or just show up at 9:30. I have a Snaggleberry stock JL. I never drove this but have a map and want to explore. It is not an off road trail as I've heard. Bring food and drink for yourself. I'll probably end at Spruce Run then head home.

Rangerfan75

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Budd Lake, Mount Olive, NJ, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Magrini
Member #

I just completed the high point to Jenny jump today. I wanted to leave some feedback and suggestions. The route was really cool and the lead nav app worked awesome. Buttermilk falls was closed and had to use the bypass which was a breeze. The one section in sandyston was really awesome pretty rough amd rocky but made for some excitement.

RatRaced

Rank I

Contributor III

NJ, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Corwin

If that’s the question I imagine you should be fine with what you have. I would bring an air compressor and maybe some traction boards for the pine barrens, brook rd and Cary Warren rd.
On the topic of Cary Warren Road... Has anyone gone on in within the past month? coming from the south there are all kinds of signs saying it's private and to stay out. Is it passable?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

On the topic of Cary Warren Road... Has anyone gone on in within the past month? coming from the south there are all kinds of signs saying it's private and to stay out. Is it passable?
That’s a great question. Does anyone have info on this?