The most spectacular picture you've ever taken...

• HTML tutorial

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

This is super overlanding! I never get tired of doing this.
Kruger National Park, South Africa - I could spend a month there as there is a fantastic speed controlled network of roads throughout.
Namib desert near Sessrium. Amazing how the wildlife can flourish in this environment.
Lake of the Falls, Alberta Canada - close to home. 8 hour backpack hike into the lake then hours of high mountain climbing. We hiking boot skied down the snow shoots. Just make sure you don't fall cause there is no stopping you and those rocks are not forgiving.

Contributor III

Nepal
First Name
Christophe
Last Name
Noel
This was taken in 2015 during a high-altitude flight in an Airbus B3E helicopter. We removed all of the seats. I was strapped in a harness clipped to the floor. We removed most of the fuel at our take-off point in Pengebouche, a small village in the Khumbu Valley of Nepal. There we flew to this view.

I don't even think it's my most amazing shot, but getting it sure was.

As pictured: Nupste summit, Lhotse summit, with Mount Everest just peeking up in the middle over the ridge. This was shot at 16,255 feet.

Nepal_Dream_Noel-15.jpg

Me getting ready to board one of 8 flights we did that week.
86348932_2812513525453816_3419162952551366656_o.jpg

Contributor III

Nepal
First Name
Christophe
Last Name
Noel
This is perhaps the most significant image I have captured, and it was even part of an overland expedition I had planned for three years.

These are the rarely documented Raute forest nomads in western Nepal in the foothills of the Himalayas. They are one of the most undocumented people in the world. For 900 years this isolated tribe lived in the most remote parts of Nepal. They speak a language of unknown origin and have traditions and ideology unique to their 900 year old culture. They hunt Langur monkeys as their only meat and exist with the spirits of forest deities. Outsiders are strictly taboo and often met with violence, so we were the first two foreigners to get to visit their camp since a BBC crew documented them in the late 1990s. This woman is the daughter of the chief.

When we found them, at the invitation of their chief, we anticipated finding 250 individuals in three camps. In January of 2019 we found their last camp and only 65 people. Many had died, almost all the kids, and the rest had dispersed, ending the reign of a culture that once counted in the thousands. In October of 2019 we tried again to find them but, they were gone. Only an abandoned camp remained.

This...is the last known photo of Chatrapuji the last Raute princess. It is the last known image of the Raute people---period.

raute.jpg