Rank III

Enthusiast II

Hemet Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Salcido
Member #

So I started something last week... In an effort to teach my 13 year old son some trade skills, and to spend some quality time with him, we have decided to build an overlanding trailer. It is also a way to accommodate my wife, who is a bit of a city gal and would prefer to go glamping lol. Anyway, I have a 2005 silverado crew cab that I know can pull any of these trailers, so I decided to go all out. After about a year of research and looking at others' creations on here and on youtube, I have come up with a design that hits all of my and the rest of my family's wish list items. It is 96" long and 76" wide and will sit on a an older steel chassis with a 76" wheel base.

I figure I am driving a full size truck anyway, so I might as well pack as much punch as I can into this guy. I will update over the coming weeks with more specifications on the trailer and some of the ammenities I have in mind.

I am relatively new to overlanding, and am spending a bit of coin on my truck to upgrade it as well. When I start installing stuff in my truck I will create a separate thread in the proper section.

So without further ado, I'd like to take y'all on a journey with me to create an overlanding trailer. I will post more pics as we continue to build this monstrosity.

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Very nice. I'm going to be doing the same thing here shortly.

Do you plan on insulating it?

What are you planning on using to skin the trailer?

What amenities do you you plan on installing into the trailer?

I'd love to see your design drawings as well. I've been bouncing ideas off the folks over at tnttt.com for a while, and the folks over there have built hundreds of trailers.

For example, here's the design I've been working on for mine, based on what the wife and I want, and the construction advice I've gathered from the folks over at tnttt.com

Reactions: Incomingnachos

Incomingnachos

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Hemet Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Salcido
Member #

@reaver That is a great design. I am recording my measurements as I go, but it really is a design/build. I took inspiration from the Mammoth ELE trailer, some of the guys on here, you tube videos from SEMA and a few of my own original ideas. When Im done I will post a guide to hopefully inspire others. For now I will just update here, exclusively.

I will have some surprises for everyone along the way, as I am doing some things that I havent seen on a DIY trailer yet, so stay tuned.

As far as amenities, I will admit I am getting a lot of stuff from amazon. I tend to look fro things that have THOUSANDS of reviews that are at a bare minimum of a 4. If figure that is a tried and true resume to buy something that others may balk at. I would love to be one of those guys that buys all name brand stuff (like Dometic, or Redarc, etc....) But thats not realistic. So I am getting a lot of "Amazon specials" to get as much bang for my buck now, and will slowly upgrade over time, as needed. So without further ado, here is what I'm backing into "the beast".

100W Solar Kit
Lithium Battery
Awning
Tankless water heater
Flame King Stove
Diesel Heater
Shower Tent
21 gallon water tank
The potty of potties...
And finally.... The fridge

When I get started on the truck build I will throw a list in there. In the meantime, this is what my boy and I accomplished today! The skeleton looking pic is one of two indoor cabinets for us to store clothes and other personal items as well as some rainy day items to play with like uno cards and stuff. Keep in mind that this rig will support 4 people.

More to come!

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@reaver That is a great design. I am recording my measurements as I go, but it really is a design/build. I took inspiration from the Mammoth ELE trailer, some of the guys on here, you tube videos from SEMA and a few of my own original ideas. When Im done I will post a guide to hopefully inspire others. For now I will just update here, exclusively.

I will have some surprises for everyone along the way, as I am doing some things that I havent seen on a DIY trailer yet, so stay tuned.

As far as amenities, I will admit I am getting a lot of stuff from amazon. I tend to look fro things that have THOUSANDS of reviews that are at a bare minimum of a 4. If figure that is a tried and true resume to buy something that others may balk at. I would love to be one of those guys that buys all name brand stuff (like Dometic, or Redarc, etc....) But thats not realistic. So I am getting a lot of "Amazon specials" to get as much bang for my buck now, and will slowly upgrade over time, as needed. So without further ado, here is what I'm backing into "the beast".

100W Solar Kit
Lithium Battery
Awning
Tankless water heater
Flame King Stove
Diesel Heater
Shower Tent
21 gallon water tank
The potty of potties...
And finally.... The fridge

When I get started on the truck build I will throw a list in there. In the meantime, this is what my boy and I accomplished today! The skeleton looking pic is one of two indoor cabinets for us to store clothes and other personal items as well as some rainy day items to play with like uno cards and stuff. Keep in mind that this rig will support 4 people.

More to come!
Nothing wrong with that. I'm doing the same for my build. Spending extra money where required.

Most of my big ticket items, like doors and fans and electrical wire, I'm spending money on.

Incomingnachos

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Hemet Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Salcido
Member #

Hey friends. Sorry for the absence but I decided to go to Overland Expo West and had to go full steam ahead on my trailer build so we would have somewhere to sleep! A lot has happened and I have learned a lot with this build. I’m about 98% complete, and am now just working through a bunch of little things. So without further ado here are some pics of the journey.

Attachments

Incomingnachos

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Hemet Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Salcido
Member #

The last major thing I have to do is install a Timbren axle-less suspension. I bought leaf springs initially but had NO IDEA what I was doing and wound up welding my leaf spring brackets too close together so there is little to no play in the suspension. I took it for a spin and WHOA IS SHE BOUNCY!!!! So, I decided to just go for it and am now waiting for Summit to ship the darn things. After that I just need to get some new tires and I am ready to hit the road!!!