OB Approved The Importance of Search and Rescue Insurance, Donations, and SAR Cards (US)

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Benefactor

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Let me contribute to this great topic.

When we travel remotely in the US we get our evacuation and medical coverage through our Garmin InReach which is fairly inexpensive.

When we travel to more remote parts of the world we wanted to up our capability (not that InReach services aren't good) to include medical and other reasons for extraction and after comparing several companies we have been using World Nomads...

Travel Insurance simple and flexible

With this group you provide specific information about yourselves and what countries you'll be in and the time frames.
Their coverage is very extensive and I believe you could need the coverage if, for example, you required a med jet evacuation from Africa for example where we are returning to in a couple of months.

What ever you do having good coverage for your Expedition is well worth the small cost.
This is great information! Thanks! I will try to get it combined into the main post!

Reactions: smlobx

ScottE

Rank VI

Traveler III

Austin, TX
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

Let me contribute to this great topic.

When we travel remotely in the US we get our evacuation and medical coverage through our Garmin InReach which is fairly inexpensive.

When we travel to more remote parts of the world we wanted to up our capability (not that InReach services aren't good) to include medical and other reasons for extraction and after comparing several companies we have been using World Nomads...

Travel Insurance simple and flexible

With this group you provide specific information about yourselves and what countries you'll be in and the time frames.
Their coverage is very extensive and I believe you could need the coverage if, for example, you required a med jet evacuation from Africa for example where we are returning to in a couple of months.

What ever you do having good coverage for your Expedition is well worth the small cost.
This is great information. I have a Garmin InReach as well and have their coverage. Have not had to use it, but it does bring peace of mind! I also travel overseas and my health insurance plan here in the US has travelers insurance that includes repatriating to the US. It is good to check so your not double paying for something that is already provided.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Influencer I

Wolfe City, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

In texas sar is generally organized by sherriff and dps. Most searching is carried out by volunteers. Ive not heard of anyone being billed aside from air and ground ambulance charges. Usually here the victim is not found alive either so tax payer take the bill.

ScottE

Rank VI

Traveler III

Austin, TX
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

In texas sar is generally organized by sherriff and dps. Most searching is carried out by volunteers. Ive not heard of anyone being billed aside from air and ground ambulance charges. Usually here the victim is not found alive either so tax payer take the bill.
Sheriff and DPS are only professional SAR. TEXSAR and Texas Task Force 1 are volunteer, but made up of a lot of first responders with extensive SAR training. There are others as well, but it is rare that an agency would charge except for air evac.