The Circus That Was My First Overland Trip *PIC HEAVY*

• HTML tutorial

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

The High Lift Jack can be used like a winch.

This would be stronger than most come-alongs and has many other uses. Keep the adventures coming.

Hank
OH! That's awesome! I'm making a list now of things I need to get. Its a never ending cycle haha

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Loved the write-up and photography! Bet you can't wait to get back out there, huh? Overlanding has a way of doing that... look forward to seeing more of your adventures!
Definitely! I'm already planning my next trip, this time Ill be better prepared. I'm taking my fianceé with me next time hoping she will be bitten by the bug!

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Isnt it awesome how adventure cab packed into a long weekend. Great pics and story.
I was a bit nervous when you described the snow lol

Reactions: Truckerbizz

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I used a 12k # Harbor Freight comealong to get out of my last "stuck" situation, and while I got out, it was less than ideal. By the end, the thing had blown the stop pawl out and I was jamming a Gerber pliers in there to keep it locked. Scary stuff.

Last night, thinking about it, I went ahead and ordered a new hi-lift extreme, off road base, slider attachment, and a couple of other doodads for use mostly as a hand winch. I don't have lift points on my bumpers but my White Knuckle sliders will hold the full weight of the truck so the slider attachment should come in handy.

I have a brand new Warn M8000 in my tool room but the bumper I want for it is $1500 :-(

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

By the end, the thing had blown the stop pawl out and I was jamming a Gerber pliers in there to keep it locked. Scary stuff.
I have a brand new Warn M8000 in my tool room but the bumper I want for it is $1500 :-(
That sounds terrifying! I'm in the same boat, I really want to get a nice winch bumper for the front end but most are well over $1500 for ones that don't look ridiculous. I think I will just get either a hi-lift or a come-along and use that. It isnt as nice as an electric winch but itll be cheaper and more cost effective for the amount I'll be using it. Maybe when I get into more hardcore stuff Ill be able to justify the cost of a new bumper and winch.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

That sounds terrifying! I'm in the same boat, I really want to get a nice winch bumper for the front end but most are well over $1500 for ones that don't look ridiculous. I think I will just get either a hi-lift or a come-along and use that. It isnt as nice as an electric winch but itll be cheaper and more cost effective for the amount I'll be using it. Maybe when I get into more hardcore stuff Ill be able to justify the cost of a new bumper and winch.
I've used come-along's and high lifts for years and always gotten out. I had a rig once that had a hydraulic winch and I never used it preferring my come-along...

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Go with the Hi-Lift Extreme and their ORK kit, those two items and a few shackles and straps should get you out of anything.

I also want to find a way to carry some weight rated cable so I can use my snatch blocks in a manual setup.

Rubilocal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pollock Pines Ca
Member #

Sounds like a great adventure. I would bet you learned a great deal about what you and your truck can do. Thanks for all the pictures and the write up. I can relate to your trials and victories. Please share the next trip with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

It was definitely motivating for the next trip. I actually am in the process of planning my next trip as I type this haha. Im shooting for end of April, early May. It all depends on my class and work schedule.

Reactions: Rubilocal

Philbobagginz

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Brick, NJ
Member #

What a great article and even better photos. I'm glad nothing serious happened other than a few pucker moments. The PNW is such a beautiful place, I've only seen it in photos, but hope to one day get to make my way to the left coast.