Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

New from Ft Worth area. Just did PINS Dec 23 and SPI Dec 31, both to the east cut. SPI is very short and no problem at all in low tide. Took about 1 hour each way. PINS has lots of soft sand and tree stumps to watch for. Took about 6 hours round trip at low tide. Was surprised by the PINS beach deer. LOL
How much ground clearance is needed and any reason for low range? Most of the beaches I've driven on around Galveston at least didn't need lots, mostly good tires and driving. Used to go out in 2wd cars all the time when I lived there ages ago.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

srad2

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Joshua, Texas
Member #

How much ground clearance is needed and any reason for low range? Most of the beaches I've driven on around Galveston at least didn't need lots, mostly good tires and driving. Used to go out in 2wd cars all the time when I lived there ages ago.

My RAV4 is stock height and no low range. The only challenge I have is following existing tracks in loose sand, too deep.

If you stay near the water and the damp sand a 2wd car could make it easily at SPI.

There is a large, long tree that will stop you on PINS about half way. Mine made it over the tree but would hit the rear receiver hitch.

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

My RAV4 is stock height and no low range. The only challenge I have is following existing tracks in loose sand, too deep.

If you stay near the water and the damp sand a 2wd car could make it easily at SPI.

There is a large, long tree that will stop you on PINS about half way. Mine made it over the tree but would hit the rear receiver hitch.
I have a 13 explorer with about 8 inches and it usually makes it anywhere I've wanted to go. No low range though.

Reactions: ZetRocks and srad2

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
Heading to do the old 87 run Saturday March 3rd for anyone interested. Probably starting around 0945 for low tide during run.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
On bolivar?

Yes sir! Myself and a couple other vehicles are doing the run from Bolivar side to Sabine Pass that morning. We will likely primitive camp at Sea Rim state park that night. We plan to do some kayaking at Sea Rim park when we arrive from the 87 route Saturday morning/afternoon.

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
My weekends are getting pretty full as of lately ...March hidden falls, April T.O. round up,then Brazos off road park...

Sent from my VS987 using OB Talk mobile app
If you're interested, you could always head down Saturday afternoon and meet us at Sea rim. We plan to stay overnight there.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Yes sir! Myself and a couple other vehicles are doing the run from Bolivar side to Sabine Pass that morning. We will likely primitive camp at Sea Rim state park that night. We plan to do some kayaking at Sea Rim park when we arrive from the 87 route Saturday morning/afternoon.
Wish I were down there. Sounds like fun.

Enjoy yourselves and be safe.

Reactions: ZetRocks

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
I use to live in (old) Magnolia, I miss weekend trips down to the sea wall and Bolivar. Good times, I don't miss the traffic, humidity, or torrential down pours however!

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Will do. Sorry I was thinking you were local to the area. :grimacing:
No worries. Used to be local, originally from Houston and lived in Galveston off and on through the years. Still go down there roughly every year to visit friends and family.

Thinking of the bolivar side of things, highway 87 was something i wanted to take but never got to travel. I always tended to go the other direction, over san luis pass, or I went across to bolivar and through Winnie to get to Beaumont, staying on just part of 87.

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
No worries. Used to be local, originally from Houston and lived in Galveston off and on through the years. Still go down there roughly every year to visit friends and family.

Thinking of the bolivar side of things, highway 87 was something i wanted to take but never got to travel. I always tended to go the other direction, over san luis pass, or I went across to bolivar and through Winnie to get to Beaumont, staying on just part of 87.
Yup Ive done many of the same as you've mentioned. This has been my year long attempt at putting a Texas Coast route together. Like many things, life gets in the way. Now that Im more free, Im thinking of doing the full coast run I described above on my next 3-4 day weekend.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Yup Ive done many of the same as you've mentioned. This has been my year long attempt at putting a Texas Coast route together. Like many things, life gets in the way. Now that Im more free, Im thinking of doing the full coast run I described above on my next 3-4 day weekend.
Sounds great. I've also wanted to drive the beach around Port Aransas and around as much as possible. Actually, driving as much of the coast on the beaches, including camping, would be a blast.

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
Old 87 Beach Run was a fun success! At least compared to this guy...

IMG_9281.JPG

Ran it down to Sea Rim Park and did some kayaking. Sea Rim was a little crowded for us and adult beverages must be kept hidden, so we turned back and literally raced against high tide to find this remote spot without a soul in sight. No one passed us for the remainder of the day or night.
IMG_9366.JPG

Camp set up, full moon out, and 6 bundles of oak firewood to burn.
IMG_9364.JPG

The sunrise was amazing and couldn't be justified through pics, so I used @Michael techniques and app he shared to "enhance" the experience.
IMG_9336.JPG
Good times. We will hit you guys up the next time we do it again. Still looking at a 4 day summer coast run from Sabine to PINS. If it works out, Ill fill you all in beforehand.

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN