Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Yeah, that's a lot of sand to cover in 3 days. Especially if you hit some difficulties or get into some fish.

Reactions: ZetRocks

William.Carr

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Seabrook, TX
First Name
Will
Last Name
Carr
Member #

I'm just South East of Houston trying to get into Overlanding. I love off-roading and I love camping. I haven't had much luck on finding routes to plan my first trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

William.Carr

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Seabrook, TX
First Name
Will
Last Name
Carr
Member #

I'm just South East of Houston trying to get into Overlanding. I love off-roading and I love camping. I haven't had much luck on finding routes to plan my first trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

txjeeper

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
From Kingwood area, I am currently working on roughly a 3-day overland map route that entails driving on as much of the accessible Texas beaches as possible from Port Arthur (hwy 87) and ending at the Port Mansfield cut at PINS. Trying to do this sometime in May. Trying to limit out and back areas to a minimum although I did add a stretch along East Matagorda.

After old hwy 87 the route will go through thru Bolivar, stopping in Galveston for a Pelican Island off-road "detour" before continuing along the accessible Galveston beaches starting near Jamaica beach and then over the San Luis to Surfside. The route will hop off the beaches for a bit to reach Matagorda and then head for an out and back along East Matagorda Bay. Maybe a camp at the end of that area along East Matagorda Bay?

Then out back through towns of Matagorda, Palacios, Port Lavaca, Aransas Pass, then ferry across at Port Aransas to hit the beach again. From there its a drive down to end of PINS for an overnighter and some fishing. Route back would be road. An additional 1-2 days could probably be added to include a drive around and up SPI as well. Any experience or input on times from those who have driven the PINS or along East Matagorda Bay would be helpful and appreciated. Thoughts? Anyone interested?
Have you figured out the route yet? I am very interested in this route and maybe even a group run with some guys from my club and you if you would be interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
Have you figured out the route yet? I am very interested in this route and maybe even a group run with some guys from my club and you if you would be interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Ive made a couple runs down to Bolivar recently and it appears the old 87 is being dredged along some portion of it, so I am not entirely sure about that portion of the route. The construction worker I spoke to acted like it wasnt a problem for me to drive further down but the sign posted seemed to advise otherwise. I plan to investigate further.

I did another run from 124 down the Bolivar beaches, over the ferry through galveston to the accesible beaches, and across San Luis pass to the beaches all the way to Surfside. I am figuring if the old 87 is accessible and added onto the route, Surfside might be a good camp stop since it would likely be late afternoon at that point. From information I have found from others, the East Matagorda out and back portion is very soft and has high tides and not advisable in the late day & night. Im trying to run each portion separately as time allows right now. Maybe we can set something up soon?

Chris K

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingwood, TX
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ADD
From Kingwood area, I am currently workings on roughly a 3-day overland map route that entails driving on as much of the accessible Texas beaches as possible from Port Arthur (hwy 87) and ending at the Port Mansfield cut at PINS. Trying to do this sometime in May. Trying to limit out and back areas to a minimum although I did add a stretch along East Matagorda.

After old hwy 87 the route will go through thru Bolivar, stopping in Galveston for a Pelican Island off-road "detour" before continuing along the accessible Galveston beaches starting near Jamaica beach and then over the San Luis to Surfside. The route will hop off the beaches for a bit to reach Matagorda and then head for an out and back along East Matagorda Bay. Maybe a camp at the end of that area along East Matagorda Bay?

Then out back through towns of Matagorda, Palacios, Port Lavaca, Aransas Pass, then ferry across at Port Aransas to hit the beach again. From there its a drive down to end of PINS for an overnighter and some fishing. Route back would be road. An additional 1-2 days could probably be added to include a drive around and up SPI as well. Any experience or input on times from those who have driven the PINS or along East Matagorda Bay would be helpful and appreciated. Thoughts? Anyone interested?
Also in KIngwood, I would be interested!

srad2

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Joshua, Texas
Member #

New from Ft Worth area. Just did PINS Dec 23 and SPI Dec 31, both to the east cut. SPI is very short and no problem at all in low tide. Took about 1 hour each way. PINS has lots of soft sand and tree stumps to watch for. Took about 6 hours round trip at low tide. Was surprised by the PINS beach deer. LOL