Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Some say that there is nothing to see or explore in Texas, but I disagree. In the summer heat, I ventured into the Panhandle of the great state of Texas and found amazing RED SOIL that makes the landscape of the canyons of Texas.
Heat, Native Bison, Canyon, Turkey, and something alarming was my experience.
Check here for details Found! Texas Canyons

Reactions: 9Mike2

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I’ve been exploring the hidden nooks and crannies of Texas my whole life. There’s tons of interesting stuff to see. The out of staters just get mad that the counties do a sub-par job paving all the routes. They either get mad because there is some form of pavement rather than mud and dust or that the pavement isn’t good enough for their land ships.

If you like red soil, check out chaparral wma near cotulla.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

I’ve been exploring the hidden nooks and crannies of Texas my whole life. There’s tons of interesting stuff to see. The out of staters just get mad that the counties do a sub-par job paving all the routes. They either get mad because there is some form of pavement rather than mud and dust or that the pavement isn’t good enough for their land ships.

If you like red soil, check out chaparral wma near cotulla.
That's interesting. I looked that up and saw a maze of dirt roads that cross intersect. Is it open driving?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

That's interesting. I looked that up and saw a maze of dirt roads that cross intersect. Is it open driving?
No, it’s a wildlife management area. What you are seeing are senderos. The property is managed primarily for pasture management, vegetation and wildlife research. There’s an 8 mile paved info-tour access loop but I think you park on the senderos just off the road and can hike around from there. Lots of good photo opportunities for weird looking habitat and critters.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cherry blood bacteria dirt. Pretty nasty.

Can I have your high lift jack when you die?

Reactions: Tommys

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I grew up in Texas and live here, but really if I had the choice I'd live in the PNW or somewhere in the western part of the US. I'd even take Arkansas or Missouri. Texas has it's pros but if you're into "overlanding"........it meh. My biggest deal is with the total lack of public land, there's very few/almost no places to disperse camp. And to me paying to camp in an established campground kind of defeats the point. Again that's for me.

Reactions: Ubiety

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

No, it’s a wildlife management area. What you are seeing are senderos. The property is managed primarily for pasture management, vegetation and wildlife research. There’s an 8 mile paved info-tour access loop but I think you park on the senderos just off the road and can hike around from there. Lots of good photo opportunities for weird looking habitat and critters.
Thanks for the informative post.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

I grew up in Texas and live here, but really if I had the choice I'd live in the PNW or somewhere in the western part of the US. I'd even take Arkansas or Missouri. Texas has it's pros but if you're into "overlanding"........it meh. My biggest deal is with the total lack of public land, there's very few/almost no places to disperse camp. And to me paying to camp in an established campground kind of defeats the point. Again that's for me.
Hear ya man!