Tepui Roof Top Tent Review

• HTML tutorial

mountainkatt

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

I am not affiliated with Tepui, nor was I granted access to this tent for the reason of review. My husband and I had been researching different brands and styles of RTTs for a little over a year. When a local shop brought a few options in, we finally threw all that research into the wind and pulled the trigger on a Tepui Ruggedized Kukunam. We have the anti-condensation mat under the 2.5” foam mattress. The tent got a trial by fire as we left a short 4 days after purchase for an 8,600km overland trip through varying climates and elevations. We spent a night in the snow in Canada outside of Lake Louise, a week in the high desert in Utah, and ‘slept’ through a 96 km/h windstorm at the Grand Canyon to name a few. It was set up in the dark, in the daylight, in the rain, in -15 degrees celcius, in the wind and on the ground (removed in Moab for obvious reasons).

Set-up and usage:
Getting the RTT on the roof rack of our jeep proved to be a simple process. The tracking rails were already attached to the bottom as it was set up in the store. We simply had three men lift it onto the roof rack and aligned the bolts. Eight nylock nuts later, it was secured. Three men were required as our roof rack on a lifted jeep already sat at seven feet tall.

Once home, we set the tent up with our sleeping gear inside to save space in our jeep. Our sleeping system consists of two sleeping bags, two fleecy blankets, two thin bag liners and two pillows. I folded each of these in half so they sat just short of the ‘bend’ of the tent floor. With the sleeping gear inside the tent, it was a little harder to close up, but not impossible. Some days, if I didn’t fold everything just flat enough, it required me hanging off of it to tighten the side retaining straps.

The thing about the ladder:

Read the instructions carefully. Seriously. It’s not that hard but it’s a really great way for your tent to feel floaty and to pinch toes in the spare steps if you don’t set it up right. The ladder must be extended all the way first. I put the bottom down and then go under the tent and start collapsing the spare steps from the TOP step down. Usually I just need to do two but it will depend on the height of your vehicle.

The thing with the elastic straps:
I couldn’t find mine at first. Once I did… hallelujah. The four elastic straps with clip ends are attached to opposite walls before you close it. It certainly helps to pull the tent fabric in. So don’t misplace those.

After more usage of these, we use them while traveling to increase the ease of closing the tent. When not on a trip, the Tepui rep suggested that we don't leave them attached as to not put any extra strain on the seams over extended periods of time.

The weather:

In the snow, we left the windows toggled closed and only unzipped a small section of each window. There was a great deal of condensation on the walls in the morning, but it dried out quite well and there was none present under the mattress. Twice we set up and slept up in wind in excess of 95 km/h. My husband slept fine. I felt like I was sleeping in a boat. This is in part due to our vehicle being quite off-road capable (read, soft suspension). The rain fly snapped around a bit in the wind, but the bendy poles held up with no struggle. The fabric of the tent shed snow and rain with zero effort.

A note to the short:
I hope your vehicle is closer to the ground that mine. I currently stand on the tires, door frames, window frames, and even right up on the roof rack to sit on the tent if I have to close it by myself. It’s not impossible, but I have tumbled from the jeep at least once. My tire carrier must be open for me to get close enough to the back of the vehicle to pull the ladder down, but it’s not the end of the world for me to stand on the hitch. Conversationally, if you have a tall vehicle like a lifted jeep, having specific fender flares (like the Metalcloak ones I lust after) that you can stand right on (and boy can you!) would make getting it up and down much easier.

An update after owning for almost a year:
We had a velcro strap cut by hooligans in the middle of the night in our driveway. Tepui sent a new set out within a week, no hassle.

At the end of our first year using it we chose to spray the whole tent with an anti-mildew spray from Canadian Tire. We used the tent in a lot of wet weather this year and wanted to preserve the life of it in any way. The RTT was removed from our roof for the winter (so I can park in my garage) and this let us give it a really good clean.

Pros:
At 5’ 3” I was still able to set up the tent on my own (but I do use my jeep as a jungle gym to accomplish this and have fallen on my face a few times)
Quick set-up (sub 3 minutes)
Most comfortable camping experience in a long time
Condensation dries out quickly
Easy to take off the roof in needed
Seams are sealed well, no gaps
Zippers are sturdy

Cons:
Didn’t see the elastic straps to pulls the tent fabric in until half way through the trip. It would have made folding in down a lot easier from the beginning.
It’s hard to zip the stiff rubberized cover in -15 celcius because it freezes pretty solid.
Collapsing the ladder for storage on top the tent is difficult if you’re not seven feet tall

Summary:
I would recommend this tent (and it’s price point) to those looking to use a quick set up, soft sided RTT. It’s roomy, comfortable and stands up in weather at varying climates and altitudes. I look forward to seeing how it holds up over the year and a summer of hard use.

Attachments

hallry

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Campbell, CA
Member #

I am not affiliated with Tepui, nor was I granted access to this tent for the reason of review. My husband and I had been researching different brands and styles of RTTs for a little over a year. When a local shop brought a few options in, we finally threw all that research into the wind and pulled the trigger on a Tepui Ruggedized Kukunam. We have the anti-condensation mat under the 2.5” foam mattress. The tent got a trial by fire as we left a short 4 days after purchase for an 8,600km overland trip through varying climates and elevations. We spent a night in the snow in Canada outside of Lake Louise, a week in the high desert in Utah, and ‘slept’ through a 96 km/h windstorm at the Grand Canyon to name a few. It was set up in the dark, in the daylight, in the rain, in -15 degrees celcius, in the wind and on the ground (removed in Moab for obvious reasons).

Set-up and usage:
Getting the RTT on the roof rack of our jeep proved to be a simple process. The tracking rails were already attached to the bottom as it was set up in the store. We simply had three men lift it onto the roof rack and aligned the bolts. Eight nylock nuts later, it was secured. Three men were required as our roof rack on a lifted jeep already sat at seven feet tall.

Once home, we set the tent up with our sleeping gear inside to save space in our jeep. Our sleeping system consists of two sleeping bags, two fleecy blankets, two thin bag liners and two pillows. I folded each of these in half so they sat just short of the ‘bend’ of the tent floor. With the sleeping gear inside the tent, it was a little harder to close up, but not impossible. Some days, if I didn’t fold everything just flat enough, it required me hanging off of it to tighten the side retaining straps.

The thing about the ladder:

Read the instructions carefully. Seriously. It’s not that hard but it’s a really great way for your tent to feel floaty and to pinch toes in the spare steps if you don’t set it up right. The ladder must be extended all the way first. I put the bottom down and then go under the tent and start collapsing the spare steps from the TOP step down. Usually I just need to do two but it will depend on the height of your vehicle.

The thing with the elastic straps:
I couldn’t find mine at first. Once I did… hallelujah. The four elastic straps with clip ends are attached to opposite walls before you close it. It certainly helps to pull the tent fabric in. So don’t misplace those.

After more usage of these, we use them while traveling to increase the ease of closing the tent. When not on a trip, the Tepui rep suggested that we don't leave them attached as to not put any extra strain on the seams over extended periods of time.

The weather:

In the snow, we left the windows toggled closed and only unzipped a small section of each window. There was a great deal of condensation on the walls in the morning, but it dried out quite well and there was none present under the mattress. Twice we set up and slept up in wind in excess of 95 km/h. My husband slept fine. I felt like I was sleeping in a boat. This is in part due to our vehicle being quite off-road capable (read, soft suspension). The rain fly snapped around a bit in the wind, but the bendy poles held up with no struggle. The fabric of the tent shed snow and rain with zero effort.

A note to the short:
I hope your vehicle is closer to the ground that mine. I currently stand on the tires, door frames, window frames, and even right up on the roof rack to sit on the tent if I have to close it by myself. It’s not impossible, but I have tumbled from the jeep at least once. My tire carrier must be open for me to get close enough to the back of the vehicle to pull the ladder down, but it’s not the end of the world for me to stand on the hitch. Conversationally, if you have a tall vehicle like a lifted jeep, having specific fender flares (like the Metalcloak ones I lust after) that you can stand right on (and boy can you!) would make getting it up and down much easier.

An update after owning for almost a year:
We had a velcro strap cut by hooligans in the middle of the night in our driveway. Tepui sent a new set out within a week, no hassle.

At the end of our first year using it we chose to spray the whole tent with an anti-mildew spray from Canadian Tire. We used the tent in a lot of wet weather this year and wanted to preserve the life of it in any way. The RTT was removed from our roof for the winter (so I can park in my garage) and this let us give it a really good clean.

Pros:
At 5’ 3” I was still able to set up the tent on my own (but I do use my jeep as a jungle gym to accomplish this and have fallen on my face a few times)
Quick set-up (sub 3 minutes)
Most comfortable camping experience in a long time
Condensation dries out quickly
Easy to take off the roof in needed
Seams are sealed well, no gaps
Zippers are sturdy

Cons:
Didn’t see the elastic straps to pulls the tent fabric in until half way through the trip. It would have made folding in down a lot easier from the beginning.
It’s hard to zip the stiff rubberized cover in -15 celcius because it freezes pretty solid.
Collapsing the ladder for storage on top the tent is difficult if you’re not seven feet tall

Summary:
I would recommend this tent (and it’s price point) to those looking to use a quick set up, soft sided RTT. It’s roomy, comfortable and stands up in weather at varying climates and altitudes. I look forward to seeing how it holds up over the year and a summer of hard use.
I have the exact same tent in Haze Grey. Amazing company and always there to help. As for the elastic straps I still haven't found mine. Care to share a photo of where they are located? I must be blind!

I asked Tepui about the Velcro around the inside windows. They said they were for clear covers to keep the heat in but be able to see out. They discontinued them when they got feedback it caused leaking. However they asked if I still wanted them for FREE. I said hell yah and I use them sparingly.

My ladder broke once and they replaced it without question. My straps faded too quickly they said when I came for the ladder replacement and they replaced those too free of charge.

Great customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: ElDusto

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I've owned two Tepui tents and have been very pleased with both. The first was a standard Kukenam which served me well for three years. Last year I replaced it with the Ruggedized Kukenam XL because I wanted more space and liked the ruggedized features. I recommend Tepui to anyone who asks about RTTs.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I've had a Autana Ruggedized now for about a year. It's been a solid tent so far. Couple minor issues but Tepui has sent out the parts N/C. Don't have a whole lot to add to the OP's review. Other than keeping two windows slightly open will prevent most condensation issues. Zipped up tight will most always result in issues. You'll sleep warmer dry that you will wet in slightly warmer inside temps.

I am a dealer as well. So if anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer.

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

I have a Tepui on the JK and absolutely love it. I went with the Kukenam XL ruggedized after finding out that Tepui added the sky option to all ruggedized tents recently. Having the option to have a view and maybe more importantly some venting for the hot & humid summer nights here in SC made the decision for me. I need the space to take my wife and kids with me out in the woods.

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

mountainkatt

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

I have a Tepui on the JK and absolutely love it. I went with the Kukenam XL ruggedized after finding out that Tepui added the sky option to all ruggedized tents recently. Having the option to have a view and maybe more importantly some venting for the hot & humid summer nights here in SC made the decision for me. I need the space to take my wife and kids with me out in the woods.

View attachment 12838

View attachment 12839
I've been waiting to see what they look like on a two door! Thanks for the photos!

Reactions: Don Meredith

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I could not figure out what to do with the straps. Thanks for the note on that. I just used mine for the first time. Love the tent and its quality.

Reactions: mountainkatt

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

View attachment 12838

View attachment 12839
Awesome, my friend has a two door and is interesting in one as well, after seeing my Ayer.

What rack is that?

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I will say I am happy to get the condensation mat for under the mattress.
I highly recommend those for anyone I sell a tent to. Even in our dry climate there can be a lot of moisture there in the morning. Especially colder nights. Adds some padding under the mattress too.

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex

Overland_TRD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Macklin
Member #

Service Branch
AD - USAF
I just purchased a lightly used Ruggedized Kukenam 3 this week. I got out to use it this weekend. I have been researching tents for the last 4 months and finally found something used in my price range. It definitely lives up to the raving reviews, for its price point!

Overland_TRD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Macklin
Member #

Service Branch
AD - USAF
I just purchased a lightly used Ruggedized Kukenam 3 this week. I got out to use it this weekend. I have been researching tents for the last 4 months and finally found something used in my price range. It definitely lives up to the raving reviews, for its price point!
Has anyone come up with any convenience mods yet? I'd love to hear all about the tips and tricks! 20181117_132445.jpeg20181117_155328.jpeg20181117_150246.jpeg