Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yeah. This is what happens when I try to reply to forums on my phone, haha.
It's ok, I just never heard of the brand ,but it sounds like it had served you well and worth checking them out to me. Thanks :-)

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
It's ok, I just never heard of the brand ,but it sounds like it had served you well and worth checking them out to me. Thanks :-)
no prob! they make some good, high quality outdoor gear so it tends to be a bit on the pricier side, but well made and robust. Our smaller TNF tent is almost 12 years old and its been part of at least 150 trips over the years.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Chuck Taylor. It's the shoe!
People call 'em Chucks.
Duuuuua thanks, I didn't know that. I can remember the "chucca boot" though . I just recently found out what a "Muck boot" is so, I'm learning something new every day even though I'm an old dog. :-)

Reactions: WAYAWAY

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
90 miles north. A stones throw from Canada.
My son works for Boeing as an engineer and lives in Sammamish. I owe him a long over due visit and plan to go in the spring time. Maybe we could meet up somewhere for a overnight camp out and get to know one another when I get up there.

Reactions: Seanm26

NV Badlands

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carson Valley, Nevada
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force
I have several ground tents and two hammocks. In my youth, it was easy to throw a one man body style tent into a backpack and take off on a motorcycle. These days, I’m carrying some extra weight of my own, and have banned my body up enough to just keep with with car camping.
The main two tents for me now are the Gazelle T-4 and a darkroom Coleman 100 sq. ft. tent I picked up at Costco a few years back. The Coleman is nice because it’s huge and I can glamp a little bit. I always travel with my dog, and it’s nice to set up some space for her crate that’s separate from my sleeping area. It sucks though because while it’s deemed a quick set up, it still takes about ten minutes. It’s not one of those instant tennis... but it does into a medium sized duffle-type bag that is easy to stow and handle.

The Gazelle is awesome in that it takes all of two minutes to set up. The first time I used it was on a week long hunting trip, and it was able to hold up to sustained winds around 30mph before I had to stake it out. OnceIt’s set up, it’s 40% smaller than the Coleman. Being just over 30lbs, it’s still pretty easy to handle... but around 5’ tall, it’s not the easiest thing to store in a vehicle.
4FFC2BE3-947F-4E91-BD9D-98CA6A9773EA.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have several ground tents and two hammocks. In my youth, it was easy to throw a one man body style tent into a backpack and take off on a motorcycle. These days, I’m carrying some extra weight of my own, and have banned my body up enough to just keep with with car camping.
The main two tents for me now are the Gazelle T-4 and a darkroom Coleman 100 sq. ft. tent I picked up at Costco a few years back. The Coleman is nice because it’s huge and I can glamp a little bit. I always travel with my dog, and it’s nice to set up some space for her crate that’s separate from my sleeping area. It sucks though because while it’s deemed a quick set up, it still takes about ten minutes. It’s not one of those instant tennis... but it does into a medium sized duffle-type bag that is easy to stow and handle.

The Gazelle is awesome in that it takes all of two minutes to set up. The first time I used it was on a week long hunting trip, and it was able to hold up to sustained winds around 30mph before I had to stake it out. OnceIt’s set up, it’s 40% smaller than the Coleman. Being just over 30lbs, it’s still pretty easy to handle... but around 5’ tall, it’s not the easiest thing to store in a vehicle.
View attachment 134707
T4 gazelle's are hard to beat and really not that expensive. I still like a canopy or slumberjack awning in addition for daytime outside living area as well. I haven't camped out in a long while and I'm still acquiring my needs for my first camp out and adventure with mostly new stuff hopefully in the spring. I'll feel like a newbe it's been so long.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have a Kodiak Cabin canvas tent. It is rated as a 3-season tent, but I've had it in temps as low as 28-degrees and had to turn the heater off halfway through the night because it was so hot inside the tent. It once rained for 28 hours straight and the tent never leaked. It's a 12x9 tent, with an 8x8 awning on the front that serves as an extra room if the enclosure is added. I can put a queen-size mattress in the tent and still have half of the tent left over. It is an ... Those are the pros. Now, the cons, it is HEAVY and the set up is not for the faint of heart, especially if you are alone. The tent, poles and stakes weigh about 110 lbs. It takes two people about 30 minutes to set it up, and an hour or so to set it up alone. Most of my camping is setting up for several days in the same spot, so it's worth the time.

I have been wanting a Hardshell RTT for a few years now, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense, right now. But I would love to get someday get an Autohome Maggiolina ... they are the sweetest RTTs, in my opinion.

IMG_1907.JPGIMG_2656.JPGIMG_2649.JPGIMG_2646.JPGIMG_2645.JPG

Last edited:

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I bought the tent I have because I work for the manufacturer and get like a 60% discount.

Luckily, it's a high-quality 3-person, 2-pole dome tent - suits my needs perfectly.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Another tent I was looking at was this Eureka 4 man cabin tent. I’ve had a 3 season backpacking Eureka tent before and they are well made.

IMG_5852.JPG