Tents and why you purchase them?

• HTML tutorial

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

I chose to go with the Gazelle T4. Typically I camp solely in the rig however I have found a tent to be nice if I bring my wife or dogs or have adverse weather. When I considered a tent I wanted one I could stand in and one that was big enough that we could all hang out in and could withstand the elements. I was sent the Gazelle to test out after I had horrible experience with a Coleman insta tent. I have been using it since and really enjoy it. The only downfall is the length when packed up. The setup and take down times for this tent are its claim to fame and for good reason. Here is a video I made about it.

Reactions: RoarinRow

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
I have no issue with tents and would camp year-round. However, my wife hates tenting and has insisted that she will only do so in a rooftop tent. So now I'm looking at those options. Otherwise, if it's just me, I'm good with a 3-season tent. If it gets to cold, I'll sleep in the Jeep.

ajneff

Rank 0

Contributor I

When we go as a whole family, we throughly are happy with the Gazelle T4Plus, tones of room, and we have 5 kids.... so seven total, yes a crazy seven .... but we have a ton of room and the kids love it... (yes on air mattresses, I'm tired of the thermarest, 10 years + of motorcycle camping, time to be more civilized) 20190702_073208.jpeg

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I chose to go with the Gazelle T4. Typically I camp solely in the rig however I have found a tent to be nice if I bring my wife or dogs or have adverse weather. When I considered a tent I wanted one I could stand in and one that was big enough that we could all hang out in and could withstand the elements. I was sent the Gazelle to test out after I had horrible experience with a Coleman insta tent. I have been using it since and really enjoy it. The only downfall is the length when packed up. The setup and take down times for this tent are its claim to fame and for good reason. Here is a video I made about it.
Your review is what finally sold me on it, with it's performance in the rain being my last question unanswered so thanks for that! Then by an awesome coincidence I met your mom at Kerr Lake as my wife and I were setting it up the first time. She was our neighbor all weekend and was very nice. I think I know what you should get her for Christmas this year!

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I've had a lot of tents over the years from a tube tent to the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 man tent I have now. I've been using it for 12 years now and it's hands down the best tent I've ever owned. It's big, heavy and takes a little bit to set it up but once it's up it awesome. I camped in 10 straight days of rain, been in 55-70 MPH wind, 6 days in 8" of snow and the outside stays outside, the inside is wind free and dry.

It was expensive but well worth it.

camping Jeep.jpg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

When I bought it I was just getting back into tent camping, coming from years of 5th wheel toy haulers, a few big RVs, etc. (I still have a 5'er). So I wanted to go with something pretty affordable for my first foray back into a ground tent so I could feel out what I actually wanted for size and features without putting too much $ into it. I probably over-thought the decision for a few days, then finally just went for this since the price is so good and it has the "dark room technology" which lets me get a little more sleep in the AM if I so desire (if it doesn't start getting too hot). Overall, I'm very happy with it, and at this price if it gets thrashed in a few years it's not a big deal.

-TJ

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

We had a couple of tents -10 person for long trips and 3 to 4 person for short trips, but got the Gazelle T4 plus for convenience (got on black Friday sale less than $400) and it has been great for times when we leave after work and are fighting sunset when get to destination. Takes less than 2 min to set up. Takes longer to stake down in hard Texas ground. I have Multiple Sclerosis and RTT's out of question and hubby likes that Very roomy and he can stand up inside.Also like the fact can remove floor to shake out dirt and don't have to sweep dirt out of tent. Biggest plus is the time saving and roominess.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I've had a lot of tents over the years from a tube tent to the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 man tent I have now. I've been using it for 12 years now and it's hands down the best tent I've ever owned. It's big, heavy and takes a little bit to set it up but once it's up it awesome. I camped in 10 straight days of rain, been in 55-70 MPH wind, 6 days in 8" of snow and the outside stays outside, the inside is wind free and dry.

It was expensive but well worth it.

View attachment 132764
The vehicles in the background are the coolest part of that picture.

I want more pics of the wagon and trailer.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I camp in every season except summer. Not a fan of heat.

I got a 4 person coleman tent. Cheap and works well.
Which coleman tent ? Can you stand up inside ? There are ways to stay cool in the summer if you camp in areas with low humidity. Humid areas are off limits for me when the temp is above 75 degree F. Camping in high altitude areas (above 6500') are almost necessary for summer camping without cooling equip. A nice cool mountain stream helps a lot.

Reactions: M Rose

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Just bought a cabin tent and it worked great in 1” of snow. Did great in 20 mph wind and light rain.

Alabama Hills Dec 2019

IMG_5191.JPG
IMG_5203.JPG

Reactions: Alex Brame

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Which coleman tent ? Can you stand up inside ? There are ways to stay cool in the summer if you camp in areas with low humidity. Humid areas are off limits for me when the temp is above 75 degree F. Camping in high altitude areas (above 6500') are almost necessary for summer camping without cooling equip. A nice cool mountain stream helps a lot.
I'll take a picture of it when I can.
I can stand in the middle of it.

Yes, humidity is not fun! I prefer winter camping hehe.

20200109_151205.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Just bought a cabin tent and it worked great in 1” of snow. Did great in 20 mph wind and light rain.

Alabama Hills Dec 2019

View attachment 134386
View attachment 134387
Did you have a heater, what kind, what make is the tent ? Appears you didn't put anything under the tent, was it waterproof. Do you have a carpet pad inside ? Are you sleeping on a cot or on the ground ? How many were in the tent ? Brrrrr it looks so cold I'd want to stay inside !

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Did you have a heater, what kind, what make is the tent ? Appears you didn't put anything under the tent, was it waterproof. Do you have a carpet pad inside ? Are you sleeping on a cot or on the ground ? How many were in the tent ? Brrrrr it looks so cold I'd want to stay inside !
I did use a small tarp underneath the tent and it helped a bit. I do need to buy a bigger tarp. The mfr is Alps Mountaineering, same style as the Coleman cabin tent. Tent is water proof, but it has a mesh roof so I did get a breeze now and then. No heater, just a sleeping pad and 30 deg bad. I used some Mega Hot Hands in my sleeping bag and wore 32 deg F long Johns which helped a lot. It’s a 4 man tent, and I was alone so I had plenty of room.
I like this tent because the packed length is smaller then the Coleman and the price was great at $120 (cyber Monday deal at REI Outlet). I wanted the gazelle tent but the price and packed size was too much.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I bought an ALPS Mountaineering Camp Creek 6 Tent from REI in 2018. I love it. (and it was on sale, so I saved around $65)

When I go out solo or with my girlfriend and I go out, we just sleep in the 4Runner.. but when I'm with a buddy or my sons, we pack the tent. Collapsed, it's the size of a large duffel. Best part is that it's about 7' tall.. so I can stand up in it (I'm 6' tall).

It goes up really easy and is great in the wind.

20191109_215543.jpg

Henry approved..
20191109_170230.jpg
NOTE: The Coleman cots are heavy AF, but they are super comfortable.