Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Walmart tents are great if you plan to camp in decent weather. However when the weather turns to rain, they downright suck. I used a Walmart tent for several years on my bike and it worked OK till I decided to camp on the Oregon Coast in February. It rained for 24 hours straight and it was heavy. Add the wind and we had heavy rain blowing right into the tent and I was getting wet. I had to put garbage bags over me to sleep. Terrible night.
After that I got a Mountainsmith Morrison 3. I have used it a lot over the last few years and it has done great. Any weather, it keeps me dry. It stands up to strong winds, rain, you name.
I was in Yellowstone this July and it was pouring down rain with winds. We had thunder and lightning, driving rains, etc. and I was cozy and dry in the tent. A good quality tent is a good investment.

However, now that I have the Suburban, when I go out in it, I sleep in the back on a twin mattress. True 4 season protection.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I have many tents, more than I really need. But the excuse I tell myself is that maybe someday someone will need to borrow one! All but one is ground tents. The RTT is the exception. 3 are 4 season, rest are 3 season. I did a lot of backpacking and mountain climbing as a younger man, so always have had good quality gear. That’s the difference, I see and a mistake lots make. No not all need a 4 season quality tent, but I believe the investment pays over the long term, with quality gear, and ease of use. And don’t think I can afford to go out and buy the best as needed. It has been an accumulation over many years. Vance.

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have many tents, more than I really need. But the excuse I tell myself is that maybe someday someone will need to borrow one! All but one is ground tents. The RTT is the exception. 3 are 4 season, rest are 3 season. I did a lot of backpacking and mountain climbing as a younger man, so always have had good quality gear. That’s the difference, I see and a mistake lots make. No not all need a 4 season quality tent, but I believe the investment pays over the long term, with quality gear, and ease of use. And don’t think I can afford to go out and buy the best as needed. It has been an accumulation over many years. Vance.
You and I have a similar backgrounds, I also was a rock climber, mountaineer. Remember Bibler tents? I had a couple of them, I loved them. How did you decide which RTT to purchase and how much did your backpacking mountain climbing affect your decision? I don't get rid of a tent until it begins to delaminate. LOL I really agree with your decision on quality.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

You and I have a similar backgrounds, I also was a rock climber, mountaineer. Remember Bibler tents? I had a couple of them, I loved them. How did you decide which RTT to purchase and how much did your backpacking mountain climbing affect your decision? I don't get rid of a tent until it begins to delaminate. LOL I really agree with your decision on quality.
MMC,
Not to derail this thread, but here is my short answer. I have the Gordigear soft roof RTT. More to not sleep on the ground in the rocky places I sometimes will Overland, and better quality than some. I also, have a Alaskan pop up camper but wanted a package that I can get into more remote areas better. Bibler make some great tents! Hope this helps! Vance.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I look for tents that are "free standing" in that they will work even if you can't stake them down. And I look for a removable rain fly that covers the entire tent.
I camped a lot more as a lad. At that time, I collected a few tents as well. My "go to" tent was and still is a Northern Design dome tent.
1573065125742.pngThis is not a good picture.
This particular tent has served me well on many camping trips. I've even taken it backpacking, but only when I could split it with another person. And now with overlanding, it's perfect for all my gear and a cot with room to spare.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
This Sucks!!! I would contact them once about it, If they give you the same no-service response, I would post negative reviews everywhere with photos I could. There is no excuse for a bad product or bad customer service.
I like your camp, BTW.
Double Ditto. Advertise their poor quality loudly. Thanks for letting OB members know.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

I'll be adding a RTT to my collection tonight. Found a bargain for a Smittybilt, and I've seen a number of useful reviews awa compared prices on different brands.
Last tent I bought was a four person kelty for car camping, preceded by a Northface two door backpacking tent. Girlfriend affects my choices and purchases :grinning:
Before that I backpacked solo and carried a modest one for poor weather, but carried a bivy and siltarp to use as a leanto for years. Looking forward to having some fun in a RTT!

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I'll be adding a RTT to my collection tonight. Found a bargain for a Smittybilt, and I've seen a number of useful reviews awa compared prices on different brands.
Last tent I bought was a four person kelty for car camping, preceded by a Northface two door backpacking tent. Girlfriend affects my choices and purchases :grinning:
Before that I backpacked solo and carried a modest one for poor weather, but carried a bivy and siltarp to use as a leanto for years. Looking forward to having some fun in a RTT!
Alex Brame,
Hope you share pictures and a review when you get to use the RTT! Vance.

Reactions: NV Badlands

smarthead

Rank 0

Contributor I

KS
First Name
Donny
Last Name
Keens
Own a Coleman tent just for the kids to play with. Even though we have an rv they still want to sleep on inside the tent so I would place the tent just in front of the rv.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
For my family of 5 that includes 3 kids under 10 years old, we only do ground tent camping and only during the Summer. We picked up the Gazelle Tent, which works great for our always on the go family. When I am not with the family, which is rare, then my truck is built for 1-2 person sleeper in the camper shell. Since the camper shell is always on, I/we can pretty much camp anywhere anytime of the year.

Both options work well for us/me.
Family of 5 here, too. However, it's been just 3 of us lately as my two oldest kids are now out of school and have jobs. Plus, what 20 something would be caught dead hanging out with mom & dad? Anyway, we have a 10'x12' Klondike canvas tent and couldn't be happier. Four season weatherproof and tons of space (interior picture shows a queen & twin air mattress and still space to walk around). The only possible downside would be size. It's not small or light, so you will need to account for that.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Family of 5 here, too. However, it's been just 3 of us lately as my two oldest kids are now out of school and have jobs. Plus, what 20 something would be caught dead hanging out with mom & dad? Anyway, we have a 10'x12' Klondike canvas tent and couldn't be happier. Four season weatherproof and tons of space (interior picture shows a queen & twin air mattress and still space to walk around). The only possible downside would be size. It's not small or light, so you will need to account for that.
That's a nice tent. I like how the door look easy to get into like an actual door. The Gazelle Tent has an awkward triangle door thingy.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
That's a nice tent. I like how the door look easy to get into like an actual door. The Gazelle Tent has an awkward triangle door thingy.
Yes, the doors (one on each side) are very easy to go through.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
Great discussion provoking question Mike.
I have 2 hang down tents for my ARB 2500x2500 awning.
Both are used depending upon how many folks are with me, what the terrain/season/weather is likely to be.
neither take much room to stow, so I take both with me.

Attachments

Terry Kilpatrick

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Round Rock, TX, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Kilpatrick
Member #

When we tent we use a Gazelle T4 Plus so far, haven't gotten more than a few uses of it and it's a very nice base camp set up. If it's just me, I'm totally going with my hammock.
I am interested in the Gazelle as another option. Do you have any cold (not necessarily snow) weather experience with it?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I am interested in the Gazelle as another option. Do you have any cold (not necessarily snow) weather experience with it?
The first and last time we used the T4 it rained, then immediately hailed as we were setting up base camp. It was up in literally seconds and saved me and my family from all the wetness. It help up great and was cozy for our family of 5. Kids loved all the windows all around the tent. Little cold at night cause the top is mesh even through we had rain fly on.

Reactions: Terry Kilpatrick

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
We used a Napier 84000 on our 3 week trip to AZ and UT back in May. Granted it was only the wife and I and I originally thought it would be overkill. Its heavy, but once we got a system down, it could be up or down in less than 10 minutes most of the time. Its rated as 3 season, but we ended up with ALL 4 seasons on that trip, including wind from hell in Canyonlands and it did great! We fit a queen size cot in it and had plenty of room to move around, plus I could access the rear cargo area of the truck without having to go outside. We used the annex while at Expo and it made a nice extra sitting and storage area so we could spread out a little since that was essentially a base camp over the weekend. No leaks or bad drafts and with zero degree sleeping bags and a Mr. Buddy heater, we stayed dry and quite comfortable.

Pics are Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon (South and North Rims) and one of the nights along the White Rim Rd. in Canyonlands in that order...

BLM land - Sedona.jpgenhance (1).jpgenhance (2).jpgenhance (3).jpgenhance (4).jpgenhance (5).jpgenhance (6).jpgenhance (7).jpgenhance (8).jpg

Viv OB20287

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Margaret River WA, Australia
First Name
Viv
Last Name
Tansley
Member #

2 adults 2 kids. We use a canvas tent made by freedom tents. Its fairly heavy at 20kg but sets up less than a minute with a spring loaded center pole. We don't get realy cold weather here but it's well ventilated and super warm in winter. Inside we have bunks to maximize space. Works well for us.

Attachments

Terry Kilpatrick

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Round Rock, TX, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Kilpatrick
Member #

The first and last time we used the T4 it rained, then immediately hailed as we were setting up base camp. It was up in literally seconds and saved me and my family from all the wetness. It help up great and was cozy for our family of 5. Kids loved all the windows all around the tent. Little cold at night cause the top is mesh even through we had rain fly on.
Thanks!

Reactions: RoarinRow and MMc

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
We used a Napier 84000 on our 3 week trip to AZ and UT back in May. Granted it was only the wife and I and I originally thought it would be overkill. Its heavy, but once we got a system down, it could be up or down in less than 10 minutes most of the time. Its rated as 3 season, but we ended up with ALL 4 seasons on that trip, including wind from hell in Canyonlands and it did great! We fit a queen size cot in it and had plenty of room to move around, plus I could access the rear cargo area of the truck without having to go outside. We used the annex while at Expo and it made a nice extra sitting and storage area so we could spread out a little since that was essentially a base camp over the weekend. No leaks or bad drafts and with zero degree sleeping bags and a Mr. Buddy heater, we stayed dry and quite comfortable.

Pics are Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon (South and North Rims) and one of the nights along the White Rim Rd. in Canyonlands in that order...

View attachment 125813View attachment 125814View attachment 125815View attachment 125816View attachment 125817View attachment 125818View attachment 125819View attachment 125820View attachment 125821
I like that, very cool and convenient.

Reactions: ru108