Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

Just had a great day trip with my daughter into the Boise National Forest from Lucky Peak. Snowy on the way out and a slushy mess on the way back. Helped pull a truck out of the ditch loaded with a bunch of boy scouts thanks to my ARB TRED boards! Would love to get together with some folks soon.20210227_135244.jpg20210227_143723.jpg20210227_150330.jpg20210227_134646.jpg20210227_152809.jpg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thanks for post regarding the traction boards, George! I'm secretly hoping when I head out to the owyhees in a few weeks as planned, we run into a situation where I can use mine. We won't have a winch, but there will be two vehicles.

And hey, if dude with the frontier goes, and I go, and you go, we'll have at least 4 sets. Should make things much easier in certain circumstances.

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Thanks for post regarding the traction boards, George! I'm secretly hoping when I head out to the owyhees in a few weeks as planned, we run into a situation where I can use mine. We won't have a winch, but there will be two vehicles.

And hey, if dude with the frontier goes, and I go, and you go, we'll have at least 4 sets. Should make things much easier in certain circumstances.
Are you refering to the trip in April? The person in the Frontier does not have a set as of yet.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Notice that there has been a change in the calendar. Pot Holes May 14-16 has been cancelled due to conflict to a upcoming trip Mordor. I just got notice of the dates for the Mordor trip. Since Pot Holes was planned the weekend before and Midas Touch two weekends after I decided to cancel this trip. Sorry for any inconvenience. George.

Apr: 2-5 Stinking Water: 200 miles (Wilder Idaho to Buchanan Oregon)

I am Planning a 4 day trip for this one, but possibly could turn out to be only 3 days. How many days depends on trails, trail conditions, trail access and time spent at planned locations.

Some trips in early 2018 were scouting trips into a area I have previously had no idea what to expect. With two trips that barely scratched the surface it intrigued me enough to do a full expedition into the unknown. This part of eastern Oregon, I feel, does not get much travel so here we go. I believe road conditions to be from two track to fairly well used roads. One stretch of trail may require some trail improvements such as limb removal. This stretch also may need to be bypassed altogether if conditions get too bad. I hope not, for I have high hopes for this section of trail. Planned visits include a cave, old homesteads, reservoir, historical places, ect.

May: 14-16 Pot Holes This trip has been CANCELLED due to conflict with another trip May 20-24. See details below...

I visited this place a few years back, but unfortunately I was not able to explore the area much. This trip I am planning a whole day to hike and explore the area.

I plan to drive in on Friday, Hike/explore on Saturday and drive out on Sunday. Road conditions are two track and could be tight brushy trails in spots. This time of year could also be some down trees as well.

May 20-24 Mordor V6.0

Mordor is back for another year. This is a trip back to central Idaho for some more lava fun. Caves, craters, lava, buttes, two tracks, dirt tracks abound all around.

I attend this trip each year, it is not my trip, but all are welcome. This year will be a base camp type trip with excursions going out each day. I will probably have a trail ride for each day, if sitting in camp is more your thing then that is a option too. Or, you can make your own daily trips. More info here Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - Mordor v6.0 May 21, 2021 (tnttt.com) .

Jun:4-7 Midas Touch: 214 miles (McDermitt, Nevada to Hwy 225, Nevada)

I am planning a 4 day trip back into Northern Nevada. This will be a exploration trip into northern Nevada with some planned visits to some old mining towns/camps/areas. There are a few other things to see as well. Roads are really unknown, but I suspect two tracks with possible narrow passages at times. The route at one point will reach 8700 feet.

Oct 2,3 Signature Rock

A quick overnighter to a historic rock in the high desert.

There may be other day trips in between these trips. Tune in on this tread for updates as the dates get closer.

These are not guided tours and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Stinking Water
April 2-5, 2021
Time: 8:00am
Meet Place: Owyhee Grocery, 2499 OR-201, Nyssa, OR 97913
Destination: East Central Oregon
Estimated Duration: 3-4 days
Estimated Distance: 208 miles gas to gas
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

Stinking Water? I don't know, but that is what I hear. Thought I would go in search of stinking water and find some other interesting things along the way.

This trip is going into a some areas I have only seen on maps so I don't really know what to expect. From what I have heard there is some great views and isolation. This trip is planned for 4 days, but could be shorter depending on road conditions and/or what we find. I am expecting some rough roads in places. Could be narrow two tracks from time to time. Could be muddy if weather is wet. One road in particular could need some clearing and/or filling. Planned stops for caves, homesteads, cabins, game reserve(?) ect.

As mentioned above fuel stops are 208 miles apart. Could be more if some roads are impassible so be prepared if you attend.

#1.png

#2.png

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Stinking Water
April 2-5, 2021

Stinking Water? I don't know, but that is what I hear. Thought I would go in search of stinking water and find some other interesting things along the way.

This trip is going into a some areas I have only seen on maps so I don't really know what to expect. From what I have heard there is some great views and isolation. This trip is planned for 4 days, but could be shorter depending on road conditions and/or what we find. I am expecting some rough roads in places. Could be narrow two tracks from time to time. Could be muddy if weather is wet. One road in particular could need some clearing and/or filling. Planned stops for caves, homesteads, cabins, game reserve(?) ect.

As mentioned above fuel stops are 208 miles apart. Could be more if some roads are impassible so be prepared if you attend.

View attachment 190361

View attachment 190362

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

I really want to go on the stinking water trip, but dont sure if I'll be able to. Still working that one out.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hope it all works out for you. Would be good to have you along.
Unfortunately, I found out we're launching a big new product April 6th at work, so I don't think it's going to work out this time. I'll have to tag along on one of the summer trips instead.

Reactions: GHCOE and M Rose

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Zeke's First Camp Trip Day 2 & 3
SW Idaho Overlanding goes camping. On this trip they bring Zeke. This is his first camp trip ever and he is excited! Come along with us on his first trip out and see how he likes it.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This trip is two weeks out.

Stinking Water
April 2-5, 2021

View attachment 190361

View attachment 190362

Reactions: reaver

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Finally getting around to posting up some pictures of the Stinking Water Trip.

Attachments

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
More pictures...

Attachments

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Two trips coming up.

May 21-24, 2021
This trip is not my trip, Mordor V6.0, but I will be attending and doing daily outings. This will be a base camp type trip. I will be planning daily outings which will include a lava road, caves, crater(s), grotto, Kings Bowl. Should be lots of two track travel for this one. More info from my side to come up. More info here, Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - Mordor v6.0 May 21, 2021 (tnttt.com)

Midas Touch
June 4-7, 2021
Time: Texaco McDermitt (Quinn River Market) 10:00am - I-O-N Truck Plaza 7:30 am
Meet Place: Texaco McDermitt (Quinn River Market) 195 US-95, McDermitt, NV 89421 or caravan from Treasure Valley meetup I-O-N Truck Plaza 5644 Buntrock Rd, Marsing, ID 83639.
Destination: North East Nevada
Estimated Distance: (Fuel to Fuel) Owyhee NV 269 miles/Elko, NV 278 miles

SW Idaho is heading back into Nevada for another adventure. This trip will include old mining sites, homesteads, hot springs, ghost towns. Should be plenty of two track travel. We will reach 8500' on this trip as well.

This trip is going into a some areas I have only seen on maps so I don't really know what to expect. From what I have heard there is some great views and isolation. This trip is planned for 4 days, but could be shorter depending on road conditions and/or what we find. I am expecting some rough roads in places. Could be narrow two tracks from time to time. Could be muddy if weather is wet.

As mentioned above fuel stops can be up to 278 miles apart. Could be more if some roads are impassible or rerouting is needed, so be prepared if you attend.

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
George,I'm hoping to make the midas touch trip. Doing a 4 day trip with some OB members memorial day weekend.

I don't see getting the time off work being a problem.

Reactions: GHCOE