SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I have been down the last few weeks with Covid so now that I feel better and the Jeep is back together it is time to plan a trip. Loosing 5 weeks to illness I had to cancel 3 trips which really sucked for content so I figured I would make one more adventure before the holiday season hits.

Lake View
November 6, 2021
Time: 7:00 am
Meet Place: I-O-N Truck Plaza 5644 Buntrock Rd, Marsing, ID 83639.
Destination: Big Lake
Estimated Duration: 1 day
Estimated Distance: 120 miles
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

SW Idaho is heading into Oregon for a fall adventure. We will be driving a road that can not be driven for months or even years. Certain conditions have to be right for this adventure.

Lake View #1.png

I have driven and hike portions of this road from both sides, but have never driven all the way through. Who knows I still may not be able to drive all the way though. I will drive it far enough till I can not go any farther safely though. This adventure will require high clearance vehicles since there are some rocky, technical areas. There could be vegetation close to or over the road. Depending on conditions road may disappear and routes may need to be altered to get through rocky areas. We will just have to wait to see what adventure awaits for us. This road goes through a historical area so there will be some structures to see which like the road can only be seen from time to time...

Lake View #2.png

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the trails! George.

Attachments

Reactions: Dusther210

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
Hey George - You can count me in... @reaver and I just took a family 3 day trip in southeastern Or and had a great time (despite un-crossable river crossings, and final leg of trail blocked by an avalanche). Looking forward to this trip with you and everyone else...

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hey George - You can count me in... @reaver and I just took a family 3 day trip in southeastern Or and had a great time (despite un-crossable river crossings, and final leg of trail blocked by an avalanche). Looking forward to this trip with you and everyone else...
Now, the question is..... Drive the Fronty with heated seats (and a bit less clearance at the moment..... But heated seats), or figure out what's up with the dash lights on the X....

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Now, the question is..... Drive the Fronty with heated seats (and a bit less clearance at the moment..... But heated seats), or figure out what's up with the dash lights on the X....
Dash lights usually is a bad ground to the instrument panel, or a blown tail light fuse.

Reactions: Sparksalot

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Dash lights usually is a bad ground to the instrument panel, or a blown tail light fuse.
Well, I just installed a new switch box, and rewired my aux switches (got rid of that cheapo plastic switch facia), and it worked in the driveway, but I had no dash lights when we got to the trail. Brake lights worked fine, as dead headlights, so I just rolled with it. I plan on pulling it out soon and taking a look.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well, I just installed a new switch box, and rewired my aux switches (got rid of that cheapo plastic switch facia), and it worked in the driveway, but I had no dash lights when we got to the trail. Brake lights worked fine, as dead headlights, so I just rolled with it. I plan on pulling it out soon and taking a look.
Not brake lights, tail lights… they run off of a separate fuse

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'll check the fuse.

I don't wanna sidetrack George's thread anymore than we already have. ;)

Reactions: M Rose

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hey George, so I have a question. Liana is considering driving on this trip as well, and I'm wondering if you have any insight as to what kinds of terrain we could encounter. Or, if you have the route already, could you email it to me, so I can show her where we will be heading?

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Hey George, so I have a question. Liana is considering driving on this trip as well, and I'm wondering if you have any insight as to what kinds of terrain we could encounter. Or, if you have the route already, could you email it to me, so I can show her where we will be heading?
I have driven this road from both ends, but I don't know what the middle might have instore for us, about 2 miles. There are some short rocky sections of road that can be technical. We will be driving out on the road we discussed earlier that I sent you pictures of.

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Yeah, @David H and I were just on the other side of the river last weekend.

I looked at the route, and from what I can see, there doesn't look to be a road along the side of the lake in that spot. Are you sure we can drive that part of the route? It doesn't look like we can to me.

Reactions: GHCOE

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I'm thinking about coming. No communication methods in my Jeep except for yelling or smoke signals though, let's me see how work is.

Reactions: GHCOE

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I've got a spare baofeng with GMRS freqs programmed in, along with a battery eliminator I could loan you, if you need it.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Yeah, @David H and I were just on the other side of the river last weekend.

I looked at the route, and from what I can see, there doesn't look to be a road along the side of the lake in that spot. Are you sure we can drive that part of the route? It doesn't look like we can to me.
Have I ever steered you wrong?

Reactions: M Rose