SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Reminder that this trip is a week and a half away. Hope to see you there, George.

Sep 28-30, 2019
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: TA Truck Stop 4115 Broadway Ave, Boise, ID 83705
Destination: Bennett Hills
Estimated Duration: 3 days
Estimated Distance: 400 miles (combined)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

SW Idaho is heading to South Central Idaho to look at some rocks! Yes...rocks. If you like rocks this might be the trip for you...

This trip is a base camp style trip. Meaning there will be a easily accessible base camp in rocks with outings on Saturday and Sunday to...You guessed it! Look at Rocks. We will even be driving over rocks on some portions of the outings.

Day 1: Plan is to drive into and set up a base camp. We should be at the camp area by 10:30.
After base camp is set up we will head out to check out two caves. The road to the caves is fairly rocky for a few miles. Meaning slow driving and need of good tires.
After checking out the caves and if enough time is available we will head back to camp on another primitive road.

View attachment 112992

The road to the caves is rocky and slow going for the first few miles (about 6). Good tires are recommended for this section of road. It is also pretty narrow in some areas and could cause some pin striping. Dirt and two track the rest of the way to the caves. Caves are not very technical and fairly easy to travers from what I have read on one and prior visit of the other. The primitive road back to camp I have no info on, but I do not think it gets much use so may have same hazards as mentioned above.

View attachment 112993

Day 2: Heading out to check on some points of interest and more rocks in a canyon. I am not anticipating anything too hazardous on this route. Probably mostly dirt with some two track travel. A bit of hiking is planned to check out some points of interest. Usually under 1 mile round trip.

View attachment 112994

Day 3: Get up, eat, and head back home.

Base camp will be at a interesting place which will be fun to explore on down time. Literally you can walk 10 feet and be in some cool places.

Late September will be starting to get cold so prepare for cold nights and possible cool days.

I set this up as a base camp trip for those who might just want to hang out at camp instead of bumping around out in the desert all day. So if you know someone like that bring them along.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Reactions: reaver

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Weather is turning a bit cold for the weekend. Make sure you pack warm cloths and bedding. If you can bring wood bring it so we can have a nice fire to keep warm by in the evenings. George.

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Weather is turning a bit cold for the weekend. Make sure you pack warm cloths and bedding. If you can bring wood bring it so we can have a nice fire to keep warm by in the evenings. George.
Hey George, any chance I could get the planned route gpx files?

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Well we all made it and boy did we see a lot of rocks! We drove over rocks, climbed in rocks, played in rocks, and licked rocks..... Well maybe we did not lick rocks.

Thanks for all that made it out. It was a great trip to finish up the year (my trips that is). Had a lot of fun with everyone. Hope to see you guys out again in the spring.

Some pictures for others to enjoy till the videos come out in early 2020. See you on the trails, George.4.png5.png6.png7.png8.png9.png10.png11.png12.png13.png

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Sounds good. I am doing the Coyote Works Invitational in two weeks. If interested you can caravan with us. Oct 11,12,13. Meetup is in Brothers, Oregon.
Thank you for that.

Looking into that, last year he had 41 or 42 rigs. I am guessing this year will be even more. I wish you all the best of trips, but that sounds like quite a bit of traffic to me.

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Attended the Coyote Works Invitational. I was 1 of 102 vehicles that showed up for the trip. Had a good time with a good group of people. Coyote stopped by and chatted with us a couple of times. Looking forward to his video of this trip. Thanks for looking, George.
1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png8.png9.png10.png1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png8.png9.png10.png

Reactions: trav87

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
So, with a group that large, how did they handle communications?

Was everyone on one system? CB? FRS? Ham?

Or were there folks who would relay between systems?

Or just figure no one is going to lose a convoy this large?

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
People where on MURS, HAM, CB and GRMS. I had them all going in my rig and it was a bit confusing at times. Most people would relay to other channels. It actually worked quite well even though it was confusing. It was hard to get lost, although one person did manage a wrong turn and took some with him. Took about 30 minutes to get everyone back on track. That was once we hit dirt though.

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
We were in City of Rocks in August to climb. It's such a cool spot and the rock climbing available there is world-class. There is also a nice commercial hotspring available as well in nearby Almo.

Last episode of the Mordor V4.0 is up. Enjoy!

Reactions: GHCOE