SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Waiting eagerly for your trip schedule for next year. Hope to join you on one of your longer trips. This last summer I had both my boys marry so time and money were both in short supply, mainly time.
Me too! Gonna have to do some shakedown runs with the X and the trailer before we hit the bdr for 10 days or so this summer. And I'm sure I'll have some new gear tomorrow that needs testing.
Here is a list of trips planned for this year. Dates and trips are subject to change so check back with the forum as dates approach for more updates. Also, there may be other trips that may come up. I will update the list if that should happen.

April 1,2 West Side Story 140 Miles Owyhee, Oregon to Rome, Oregon

What is the story? I don't know. I have not done it yet, but hopefully it is a story of fun and adventure.

Starting in Owyhee, Oregon and heading south, I will stay on the west side of the Owyhee River. It will be a long day on the trail with a night on the banks of the Owyhee. Then it is back out to finish the trip at Rome, Oregon. Day 2 will also be a long day on the trail. I planned on two days out, but you may want to take an extra day off to recover from the trip. I don't think we will hit Rome till midafternoon.

Roads could be muddy or dusty but should be fairly straight forward. Could be some technical stuff for short distances. Good tires are recommended. There will be 140 miles between fuel stops. This does not seem too far, but road conditions can make for long days on the trail so be prepared.

May 20,21 HooDoos! 72 Miles Bliss, Idaho to Bliss, Idaho.

Heading back to a cool camping spot with HooDoos. Before we get there though we have to drive some roads. I have 3 roads to choose from. Which road will we take? I don't know. Whichever one gets us through. I hope it is the first one since it looks to be pretty interesting. Even the second one looks pretty good. The last one could be boring, but hey it will get us to the cool camp spot.

Starting in Bliss, Idaho we head out into the unknown and hope for a road that will get us through to our camping spot destination. Road conditions could get a bit rough in spots, but I cannot tell for sure. If road conditions get too rough, there are 2 other alternate routes to explore. Plan on a full day on the trail. It is only 38 miles to camp, but it might be a rough trip to get there. Next day will be another trail that should be straight forward as we head back into civilization.

I am going to say that good vehicle clearance will be needed for this trip. Good tires as well. I have no previous experience with these roads past a certain point, so road conditions are a guess at best past that point.

June 9,10,11 Lava Roads (Mordor 8.0) 98 Miles Shoshone, Idaho to camp spot (at this time)

I will be heading back to Mordor this year, but this time I am navigating the event. Originally this trip was to get to the Mordor event, but no event was planned this year. I can't let a good route go to waste, so the name has been changed to Mordor 8.0. As the original name implies, we will be driving some lava roads, or at least roads that go through lava fields.

Starting in Shoshone, Idaho we will head north and visit the Black Magic Canyon before heading into the first lava road. I hope this road is traversable if not there is the backup plan. Then if all goes well, we will head north to the next lava road. At that point we turn east, and it will be lava fields for most of the rest of the trip to our camp spot at Cream Can Junction. This will probably be a good long day again on the trails. I expect most roads to be fairly straight forward, but high clearance would be a plus. Good tires as well since we may be driving over actual lava at some points.

I added an extra day to this trip, but day 2 I have nothing planned at this point. I do have some ideas though. You can come for the first day's adventures, or you can stay an extra day and see what pans out.

Sep 23,24 Leg 1 SW Idaho Overlanding's Idaho West East Route 205 miles

I am trying to build an Idaho West to East route that will include at least 90% dirt roads. Can it be done? Well leg one is a great start at 205 miles with only about 10 miles of pavement. This covers about a 3rd of the distance across Idaho at it' widest part. Am I making part of Idaho Overlanding History? I don't know, but if you want to be a pioneer of this route with me then let's see where this goes. Some previous trips this year are also, in part, routes that may be included in future legs of the SW Idaho Overlanding's Idaho East West Route.

Starting in Jordan Valley, Oregon we begin our journey east. Soon we will cross the Idaho border and the adventure begins. 205 miles of dirt and two track roads to our next fuel stop in Bliss, Idaho. I have the feeling this will be the most remote portion of the entire east/west route so be prepared.

Most of these roads should be pretty straight forward. Could be narrow brushy sections and certainly some rocky sections. High clearance would be helpful in some sections. Good tires again are recommended. There will be a few bail out points on this trip if conditions should deteriorate.

As always, these trips are not guided tours and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

I hope to see you on the trails! George.

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

Waiting eagerly for your trip schedule for next year. Hope to join you on one of your longer trips. This last summer I had both my boys marry so time and money were both in short supply, mainly time.
Me too! Gonna have to do some shakedown runs with the X and the trailer before we hit the bdr for 10 days or so this summer. And I'm sure I'll have some new gear tomorrow that needs testing.
Here is a list of trips planned for this year. Dates and trips are subject to change so check back with the forum as dates approach for more updates. Also, there may be other trips that may come up. I will update the list if that should happen.

April 1,2 West Side Story 140 Miles Owyhee, Oregon to Rome, Oregon

What is the story? I don't know. I have not done it yet, but hopefully it is a story of fun and adventure.

Starting in Owyhee, Oregon and heading south, I will stay on the west side of the Owyhee River. It will be a long day on the trail with a night on the banks of the Owyhee. Then it is back out to finish the trip at Rome, Oregon. Day 2 will also be a long day on the trail. I planned on two days out, but you may want to take an extra day off to recover from the trip. I don't think we will hit Rome till midafternoon.

Roads could be muddy or dusty but should be fairly straight forward. Could be some technical stuff for short distances. Good tires are recommended. There will be 140 miles between fuel stops. This does not seem too far, but road conditions can make for long days on the trail so be prepared.

May 20,21 HooDoos! 72 Miles Bliss, Idaho to Bliss, Idaho.

Heading back to a cool camping spot with HooDoos. Before we get there though we have to drive some roads. I have 3 roads to choose from. Which road will we take? I don't know. Whichever one gets us through. I hope it is the first one since it looks to be pretty interesting. Even the second one looks pretty good. The last one could be boring, but hey it will get us to the cool camp spot.

Starting in Bliss, Idaho we head out into the unknown and hope for a road that will get us through to our camping spot destination. Road conditions could get a bit rough in spots, but I cannot tell for sure. If road conditions get too rough, there are 2 other alternate routes to explore. Plan on a full day on the trail. It is only 38 miles to camp, but it might be a rough trip to get there. Next day will be another trail that should be straight forward as we head back into civilization.

I am going to say that good vehicle clearance will be needed for this trip. Good tires as well. I have no previous experience with these roads past a certain point, so road conditions are a guess at best past that point.

June 9,10,11 Lava Roads (Mordor 8.0) 98 Miles Shoshone, Idaho to camp spot (at this time)

I will be heading back to Mordor this year, but this time I am navigating the event. Originally this trip was to get to the Mordor event, but no event was planned this year. I can't let a good route go to waste, so the name has been changed to Mordor 8.0. As the original name implies, we will be driving some lava roads, or at least roads that go through lava fields.

Starting in Shoshone, Idaho we will head north and visit the Black Magic Canyon before heading into the first lava road. I hope this road is traversable if not there is the backup plan. Then if all goes well, we will head north to the next lava road. At that point we turn east, and it will be lava fields for most of the rest of the trip to our camp spot at Cream Can Junction. This will probably be a good long day again on the trails. I expect most roads to be fairly straight forward, but high clearance would be a plus. Good tires as well since we may be driving over actual lava at some points.

I added an extra day to this trip, but day 2 I have nothing planned at this point. I do have some ideas though. You can come for the first day's adventures, or you can stay an extra day and see what pans out.

Sep 23,24 Leg 1 SW Idaho Overlanding's Idaho West East Route 205 miles

I am trying to build an Idaho West to East route that will include at least 90% dirt roads. Can it be done? Well leg one is a great start at 205 miles with only about 10 miles of pavement. This covers about a 3rd of the distance across Idaho at it' widest part. Am I making part of Idaho Overlanding History? I don't know, but if you want to be a pioneer of this route with me then let's see where this goes. Some previous trips this year are also, in part, routes that may be included in future legs of the SW Idaho Overlanding's Idaho East West Route.

Starting in Jordan Valley, Oregon we begin our journey east. Soon we will cross the Idaho border and the adventure begins. 205 miles of dirt and two track roads to our next fuel stop in Bliss, Idaho. I have the feeling this will be the most remote portion of the entire east/west route so be prepared.

Most of these roads should be pretty straight forward. Could be narrow brushy sections and certainly some rocky sections. High clearance would be helpful in some sections. Good tires again are recommended. There will be a few bail out points on this trip if conditions should deteriorate.

As always, these trips are not guided tours and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

I hope to see you on the trails! George.
awesome!

Reactions: GHCOE

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It would be nice to meet you guys finally. Yes, dogs and kids are welcome to come along.
He's not told me not to bring my kid anymore, which is awesome..... Considering how annoying 6yo's can be. :grinning:

Thanks for posting that George! I put all these in my calendar, and I don't think I have any conflicts, so I should be able to make all of them!

See you Feb 4th!

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

He's not told me not to bring my kid anymore, which is awesome..... Considering how annoying 6yo's can be. :grinning:

Thanks for posting that George! I put all these in my calendar, and I don't think I have any conflicts, so I should be able to make all of them!

See you Feb 4th!
As long as you keep them on a leash.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I don't leash my kid. I will use the angry dad voice though.... Scares the crap out of her!

She got to steer on the last trip though. :grinning:
We had a couple of kids out of 5 total that we had to use the leash on when we went places like county fairs and such as they were disappearing artists. They did out grow it eventually.

Reactions: barnstormers

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
We had a couple of kids out of 5 total that we had to use the leash on when we went places like county fairs and such as they were disappearing artists. They did out grow it eventually.
Oh, I get it. We've never had a problem with ours disappearing.... Fortunately.

I have had to threaten to leave her in the desert though if she didn't listen. That usually does the trick.

Reactions: barnstormers

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

Oh, I get it. We've never had a problem with ours disappearing.... Fortunately.

I have had to threaten to leave her in the desert though if she didn't listen. That usually does the trick.
Sound like some solid old school parenting. I’m a fan

• Haha
Reactions: reaver

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
A reminder that this trip is this Saturday. Weather is looking pretty good at this point.

Christmas time is over and the winter dull drums are setting it. Time for a winter adventure!

Winter Wonderland VI
February 4, 2023
Time: 7:00 am
Meet Place: Grand View Gas 110 ID-78, Grand View, ID 83624 (There is parking across the road)
Destination: Owyhee desert
Estimated Duration: 1 day
Estimated Distance: 108 miles (Grand View to Grand View)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

This trip will retrace some of a route a did before I started my SW Idaho Overlanding YouTube Channel. I made a short video that includes some of that trip on my old YouTube Channel. You can check it out below if interested.

If all goes well we will continue on to unexplored areas as well.

Roads should be straight forward with little technical areas, unless snowy or muddy. We will evaluate as we move forward. There are a few jump off points if conditions are bad.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Locked and loaded
Same!

Anybody know of a plug and play coiled airhose for the viair compressors? The one that came with my compressor won't lock onto the valve stem anymore (I have on for my other compressor).