SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Good morning George, I was wondering if you're familiar with the Leslie Gultch area of the owyhee canyon. More specificly is there an off road track from Leslie Gultch to Spring creek or do I have to bavktrack. Wantin to make a loop route from Mtn Home to leslie gultch back to the Owyhee back countyr HWy and silver city. any thoughts? thanks
All that area Spring Creek and Mahogany Mountain is private property and been closed down for years. We tried a loop down Leslie Gulch, then upstream to the Black Rock Area along the lake, but it gets quite rough in there farther in (at the hot springs). We chose not to cross the river since some of the people we had with us had questionable vehicles for fording. You can follow along with us on last years "Lake View" videos. It would give you a good idea of what the road conditions would be like. If you ford the river you could drive up the west side of the lake aways and then cross back over at the Black Rock area. There is a road there that goes back up to the top of the canyon and from there you can link up to the road to Jordan Craters. That road in itself can be pretty rough as well. I don't think I would attempt this route solo and would recommend good solid vehicles and road skills for this attempt. I may attempt it again this fall/winter.
Hope this helps! George.

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

All that area Spring Creek and Mahogany Mountain is private property and been closed down for years. We tried a loop down Leslie Gulch, then upstream to the Black Rock Area along the lake, but it gets quite rough in there farther in (at the hot springs). We chose not to cross the river since some of the people we had with us had questionable vehicles for fording. You can follow along with us on last years "Lake View" videos. It would give you a good idea of what the road conditions would be like. If you ford the river you could drive up the west side of the lake aways and then cross back over at the Black Rock area. There is a road there that goes back up to the top of the canyon and from there you can link up to the road to Jordan Craters. That road in itself can be pretty rough as well. I don't think I would attempt this route solo and would recommend good solid vehicles and road skills for this attempt. I may attempt it again this fall/winter.
Hope this helps! George.
Thank you!!!

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

I’ve been a follower for a couple of years, really enjoy you videos. Just rewatched the lake series. Do you have a GOX track of that trail?

Reactions: GHCOE

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Good morning George, I was wondering if you're familiar with the Leslie Gultch area of the owyhee canyon. More specificly is there an off road track from Leslie Gultch to Spring creek or do I have to bavktrack. Wantin to make a loop route from Mtn Home to leslie gultch back to the Owyhee back countyr HWy and silver city. any thoughts? thanks
I'm actually headed out to that area this weekend. Gonna spend some time scouting possible camp sites for a future trip I'm planning as well. I've not spent much time on that side of the canyon, so it should be interesting.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Last day of the Newfoundland trip is up! Thanks for coming along with us on this trip. See you on the next trip. George.

Reactions: Ceg

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Waiting eagerly for your trip schedule for next year. Hope to join you on one of your longer trips. This last summer I had both my boys marry so time and money were both in short supply, mainly time.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Waiting eagerly for your trip schedule for next year. Hope to join you on one of your longer trips. This last summer I had both my boys marry so time and money were both in short supply, mainly time.
Me too! Gonna have to do some shakedown runs with the X and the trailer before we hit the bdr for 10 days or so this summer. And I'm sure I'll have some new gear tomorrow that needs testing.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Me too! Gonna have to do some shakedown runs with the X and the trailer before we hit the bdr for 10 days or so this summer. And I'm sure I'll have some new gear tomorrow that needs testing.
I just started with some preliminary ideas last weekend. Hope to have some dates up in the next few weeks if all goes well. Stay tuned...

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Christmas time is over and the winter dull drums are setting it. Time for a winter adventure!

Winter Wonderland VI
February 4, 2023
Time: 7:00 am
Meet Place: Grand View Gas 110 ID-78, Grand View, ID 83624 (There is parking across the road)
Destination: Owyhee desert
Estimated Duration: 1 day
Estimated Distance: 108 miles (Grand View to Grand View)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

This trip will retrace some of a route a did before I started my SW Idaho Overlanding YouTube Channel. I made a short video that includes some of that trip on my old YouTube Channel. You can check it out below if interested.

If all goes well we will continue on to unexplored areas as well.

Roads should be straight forward with little technical areas, unless snowy or muddy. We will evaluate as we move forward. There are a few jump off points if conditions are bad.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Christmas time is over and the winter dull drums are setting it. Time for a winter adventure!

Winter Wonderland VI
February 4, 2023
Time: 7:00 am
Meet Place: Grand View Gas 110 ID-78, Grand View, ID 83624 (There is parking across the road)
Destination: Owyhee desert
Estimated Duration: 1 day
Estimated Distance: 108 miles (Grand View to Grand View)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

This trip will retrace some of a route a did before I started my SW Idaho Overlanding YouTube Channel. I made a short video that includes some of that trip on my old YouTube Channel. You can check it out below if interested.

If all goes well we will continue on to unexplored areas as well.

Roads should be straight forward with little technical areas, unless snowy or muddy. We will evaluate as we move forward. There are a few jump off points if conditions are bad.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.
Hooray!! Hopefully, things go better than they did last year.

I'm in.