Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

That sounds cool. Do you have any pictures of them?

Aye.

Trying to find all terains for my size rims are becoming.. Difficult.
Here ya go:IMG_20181107_125936345_HDR.jpg
I currently run 205/75/15, which is just slightly larger than stock. When these wear out, I'm going with 215/75/15, which is about the max you can run on a first gen CRV without modifying it.

What's your rim size? I'm going to guess 16. If so, you might look into Yokohama Geolandars - they get pretty excellent reviews. Not as aggressive as something like a Grabber, but they are very popular with the Subaru crowd, so I gather they come in smaller rim sizes.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Trying to find all terains for my size rims are becoming.. Difficult.
Plasmajab, I found Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 245/60R18 (assuming that's the correct stock size for your 2wd Escape) at TireRack.com for $USD155 each. I don't have any personal experience with Yokohamas, but I've heard good things. They look to be a fairly aggressive tread design. At least the most aggressive I could find in that size.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S&partnum=46HR8GEOATS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Edge FWD&autoModClar=SE

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Here ya go:View attachment 77883
I currently run 205/75/15, which is just slightly larger than stock. When these wear out, I'm going with 215/75/15, which is about the max you can run on a first gen CRV without modifying it.

What's your rim size? I'm going to guess 16. If so, you might look into Yokohama Geolandars - they get pretty excellent reviews. Not as aggressive as something like a Grabber, but they are very popular with the Subaru crowd, so I gather they come in smaller rim sizes.

Whoo those are nice.

Mine are:

235/55R17 99H

Thank you all for the suggestions, now Ill have something to look for. All I get from my dealer is a cute, confused look when I tell them I want all-terrains on my escape.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Mine are:

235/55R17 99H

Thank you all for the suggestions, now Ill have something to look for. All I get from my dealer is a cute, confused look when I tell them I want all-terrains on my escape.
That explains it. The 55 series rubber. Couldn't find anything but strictly street tires in that size. If you go to a 60 series rubber, you can get these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S&partnum=26HR7GEOATS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

225/60R17

*almost* identical diameter (701mm diameter vs 691mm stock). 10mm narrower than your tires, but I think they'll mount up without issue.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Lunchbox, I think you hit it on the head. Changing the aspect ratio from 55 to 60 is the winner! Now I see some tires. Going up to 65 pretty much makes them ALL available.. But I wonder how much taller a 65vs 55 would be. (not trying to thread hijack, but this information could be useful for anyone with a similar situation in a SVO)

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

FYI Plasmajab, in the 225/60/17 size there are basically only two "mild" A/T tires:
1. The GO15's that Lunch Box refers to.
2. Continental TerrainContacts

Both get good reviews, with the TerrainContacts a little better. The GO15's are snowflake rated, the Conti 's are not yet. When I say mild A/T, they aren't as "tough" as a BFG KO2 for example, but much quieter.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

If you google "Tire Size Comparison," one of the first links that comes up is a visualizer that gives you a side by side comparison of the two with measurements. Even gives you the rotational and spedo errors.

Another possible option is to buy some cheap 15 inch steelies and get a much higher aspect ratio tire, but shoot for a similar overall diameter, perhaps just slightly larger than stock. Larger AR means more flexy sidewall for airing down, plus the reduced weight could help your mileage.

Here's an example, nearly identical overall diameter, but major increase in sidewall height:tire size.jpg

Last edited:

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Another possible option is to buy some cheap 15 inch steelies and get a much higher aspect ratio tire, but shoot for a similar overall diameter, perhaps just slightly larger than stock. Larger AR means more flexy sidewall for airing down, plus the reduced weight could help your mileage.
CR-Venturer hit it! I was thinking about suggesting 15 inch wheels. with 15s at your stock wheel width and offset, a whole world of tire options are opened up, and in an off-road setup, more AR is better. Flexy sidewall as CR-V pointed out helps give a better grip on the terrain, and helps soak up bumps on washboard trails, etc. I run 75 AR LTs on my rig, with a published inflation pressure of 75psi, and hitting the trail I air down to 30psi, which is juuuuust enough to give the sidewalls a little bulge.
Auto manufacturers seem to have forgotten that the tires are a part of the suspension.

Kaimana

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sur
Member #

Plasmajab, I found Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 245/60R18 (assuming that's the correct stock size for your 2wd Escape) at TireRack.com for $USD155 each. I don't have any personal experience with Yokohamas, but I've heard good things. They look to be a fairly aggressive tread design. At least the most aggressive I could find in that size.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S&partnum=46HR8GEOATS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Edge FWD&autoModClar=SE
The Yokohama Geolander compound sucks, you’ll burn right through them. They came standard on Subaru rigs and I barely inched out 36K on that set. Recommend looking into something else.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

The Yokohama Geolander compound sucks, you’ll burn right through them. They came standard on Subaru rigs and I barely inched out 36K on that set. Recommend looking into something else.
yes, but if he mounts them on some throwaway steelies, he can use them as dedicated off-road tires. ;-)

Of course, his choice in tires will depend on if he wants to use steelies as an off-road only wheel and if he chooses to change wheels at all. He'll have to decide which non-stock tire size will work best for his needs.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

@Plasmajab Just curious, why did you go with the 2wd Escape? Don't they make them in AWD anymore? The early escapes actually had low range, I think, like first and or second gen maybe? Just curious.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
At the time we bought "shiro" It was a car I paid cash for and gave to my wife. I had an f150 2wd.

The problem with the truck was the 700 dollar a month payment and the cost of gas. My wife started working and now I was driving 1000km a week to bus our daughter to her dance classes.

This was costing us 400 a month in gas. We traded the truck in for a 1.5 liter escape which went to my wife, and "shiro" became mine. This move saved me about 500 a month.

The f150 was a 2wd. And its electronic diff lock wasn't very effective. Essentially I had a gas guzzling 1 wheel drive. Which other then pavement would have been useless.

With shiro being a front wheel drive it's better then a rwd with an open diff.

The sad part about shiro is that 2wd escapes don't hold their value. I considered trading it in, but the cost of a proper 4x4 with good gas mileage isn't in the cards.

So here I am, going to make do with what I have and see how far little shiro can take me.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
At the time we bought "shiro" It was a cat I paid cash for and gave to my wife. I had an f150 2wd.

The problem with the truck was the 700 dollar a month payment and the cost of gas. My wife started working and now I was driving 1000km a week to bus our daughter to her dance classes.

This was costing us 400 a month in gas. We traded the truck in for a 1.5 liter escape which went to my wife, and "shiro" became mine. This move saved me about 500 a month.

The f150 was a 2wd. And its electronic diff lock wasn't very effective. Essentially I had a gas guzzling 1 wheel drive. Which other then pavement would have been useless.

With shiro being a front wheel drive it's better then a rwd with an open diff.

The sad part about shiro is that 2wd escapes don't hold their value. I considered trading it in, but the cost of a proper 4x4 with good gas mileage isn't in the cards.

So here I am, going to make do with what I have and see how far little shiro can take me.
Oh.. they do make awd models, but only on higher trim levels with an anorexic 1.5l and 2.0 while Ford says they have great power, they do, but with the wife owning one and having driven the other, the power comes on as a big burst after 4000 rpm. Which isn't going to do me much favors trying to creep up hills or on trails I found.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

@Plasmajab Just curious, why did you go with the 2wd Escape? Don't they make them in AWD anymore? The early escapes actually had low range, I think, like first and or second gen maybe? Just curious.
My daughter has a first gen Escape 4wd. No low range. It's an auto-select via the traction control with a '4-hi' switch on the dash. :-(

Otherwise a fun little ride.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Believe me, my fellow Canadian, I can feel the cost argument. There's a reason I wheel a 20 year old $1800 4 banger Honda I bought on Craigslist lol. Well, I think you will find that the front wheel drive will definitely help considerably. It won't get you all the places that a 4wd will, but you can do a lot. This is Overland Bound after all - doesn't matter what you drive!

Personally, I kinda like driving something other than what others consider a "true 4wd" because it's fun to see how many insane places I can get to with it lol.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Believe me, my fellow Canadian, I can feel the cost argument. There's a reason I wheel a 20 year old $1800 4 banger Honda I bought on Craigslist lol. Well, I think you will find that the front wheel drive will definitely help considerably. It won't get you all the places that a 4wd will, but you can do a lot. This is Overland Bound after all - doesn't matter what you drive!

Personally, I kinda like driving something other than what others consider a "true 4wd" because it's fun to see how many insane places I can get to with it lol.
Oh absolutely man!

And I'm willing to bet there's tons of beautiful places out there that I'll be able to overland to as well.

I'm hoping that in the future I can wake up some cuv owners, just like the little Kia soul, the jellybean inspired me!

Reactions: CR-Venturer

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Oh absolutely man!

And I'm willing to bet there's tons of beautiful places out there that I'll be able to overland to as well.

I'm hoping that in the future I can wake up some cuv owners, just like the little Kia soul, the jellybean inspired me!
Right on. I plan to mod my V and push it to its absolute limit to see what it can really do.