Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Judging by the video, that's pretty much what I do with my 2wd escape. I don't consider my vehicle "off road ready". Mine is more.. "dirt road almost."

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Well, I got my "new to me" escape in the driveway. It needs a few things like tone rings for the abs, some park brake parts and the exhaust tucked back up in the proper location. New tires on the rear are needed also, the fronts are 235/70/16 Hercules at II. supposedly very new. I am going to get two for the rear of the rig and call it a day until I get the lift put in. Adding needed lighting and whatnot first. then break out my welder and plasma cutter to make couple of skid plates for it.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Well, I got my "new to me" escape in the driveway. It needs a few things like tone rings for the abs, some park brake parts and the exhaust tucked back up in the proper location. New tires on the rear are needed also, the fronts are 235/70/16 Hercules at II. supposedly very new. I am going to get two for the rear of the rig and call it a day until I get the lift put in. Adding needed lighting and whatnot first. then break out my welder and plasma cutter to make couple of skid plates for it.
What year did you get? Who makes a lift kit for it?

Last edited:

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Hahaha. Fixed it... "lift" kit is what I meant.....
Curse you autocorrect!

I've heard of a few lift kits available for 1st and 2nd gen escape's.. haven't seen anything yet for my generation. 7.9 inches of ground clearance are going g to mean careful lines and trail selection.

In a weird way older escapes like his are better suited to off road thhen mine.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
What year did you get? Who makes a lift kit for it?
Hey Raul,

It's a 2007 XLT 4WD. H&R makes a 1" lift, and I am going to get a 1.5" leveling kit for the front. It's super nose dive'ey ( nice word) at the moment. Once that is done, and my current tires wear out, I will figure out the largest size tire I can fit on it. So far, the little time I have spent with it, I like it. I am not sure if it's the design of the rig or the crappy tires on the back, but it seems very tail happy in snow. I hope its the tires. I have Hercules AT II on the front and some worn out crap snow tires on the rear.

I almost bought an F150 and was going to build it very similarly to yours. I have been following your adventures on "the other forum".

CJRK

Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego
Late to the party, but will be reading and re-reading through this thread as the space saving innovations often documented in smaller rigs directly translates to weight and space savings in bigger rigs (at least in my experience). Current setup is 2001 WJ Limited with mild lift, but accomodating 4 people and thier gear sooooo.......space savings and weight are at a premium for my adventures. Awesome ideas and work from everyone here, thanks for the knowledge.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
So she got her feet wet today. This is the kind of trails/roads I'm thinking of doing with the escape.

Like exploring dirt roads and light trails. I can tell you this much, there's a couple of things I want to upgrade. Although she didn't have any trouble other then a little wheel slip uphill that traction control handled a couple of mods would be cheap insurance.

More aggressive tires. They don't need to be much taller or wider, but a better tread pattern would help.

A skid plate. It didn't bottom out on this trail but I'd rather have that peace of mind.

A slight lift. Maybe an inch or two would be great.20181202_123233.jpeg20181202_122851.jpeg20181202_122907.jpeg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

So she got her feet wet today. This is the kind of trails/roads I'm thinking of doing with the escape.

Like exploring dirt roads and light trails. I can tell you this much, there's a couple of things I want to upgrade. Although she didn't have any trouble other then a little wheel slip uphill that traction control handled a couple of mods would be cheap insurance.

More aggressive tires. They don't need to be much taller or wider, but a better tread pattern would help.

A skid plate. It didn't bottom out on this trail but I'd rather have that peace of mind.

A slight lift. Maybe an inch or two would be great.View attachment 77794View attachment 77795View attachment 77796
Sounds like a good plan. I'd recommend not going more than two inches on independent suspension. Any more than that and you start blowing cv axles.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
That's a good point. The axles on flat pavement are pretty much straight. If not just a little angled down. So I think better a axles will be an important thing if it's any higher then 2 inches.

Umbut after the first boot in the mud, the tires on this thing definitely need a better tread. These must be made for fuel economy and highway grip I think.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

after the first boot in the mud, the tires on this thing definitely need a better tread. These must be made for fuel economy and highway grip I think.
Precisely. Probably the biggest bang for your buck would be a set of stock-ish sized all-terrain tires.

Also, in general terms, in mud, sand, and deep snow, electronic traction control is NOT your friend.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Generally speaking, yes. T/c won't die much good, especially if you need to spin.

I'm not sure how the Ford system works, but when my front right lost traction, the spotter said that tire stopped spinning and the escape moved forward.

Not sure if I believe that. But I didn't see it myself.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

I'm not sure how the Ford system works, but when my front right lost traction, the spotter said that tire stopped spinning and the escape moved forward.
Yep. Exactly how it's supposed to work. In mild mud, it's a really handy piece of technology. If things get deep, it's a detriment. I suppose the best thing to do (after switching tires) is to take it out, have fun, and figure out which configuration fits which situation.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I can attest to the power of A/T or M/T tires vs street tires off road. My CRV couldn't do much of anything with the worn winter street tires it came with, but with Grabber AT2's, I've conquered mountains that others thought would be impossible for it - and a few obstacles and trails that even I thought would be!