Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Recently, I was told that camping is NOT for the summer months. I replied, "of course it is!" Explaining that it matters where you are and where you want to be comfortable. For example, July and August Texas days are brutal. But, I camp north. Into the mountains, I point my steel horse I ride. Camping in Bend is cooler during the off-season as well. Bumming in Bend

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

Yes... the summer months are a mixed bag for camping (ground tent, RTT, etc.), much depends on where you plan to travel and camp.
If you plan to head to the coast or up to the high country, then these camping trip can be very pleasant and manageable, here in California you can reach most of these areas within a few hours, where I'm located I can head up to Sequoia NP within an hour, and head over to the coast within 2.5 hours...
:sunglasses:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I try to get elevation.....I wish someone would invent a reasonable a/c unit that did not cost a ton (Sorta like the heaters) LOL I would jump on that!

Jim

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

Like I mentioned on a previous post, the summer months are a mixed bag for camping... dealing with the heat is the main issue, but then there are other challenges to consider also, heading to higher elevation also brings with it; bears, mosquitoes, ticks, meat bees, and various insects, etc. And going to the coast you almost always have to deal with the crowds and places to camp. That's why, even though summers are doable, my absolute favorite time to camp is in the Fall (Autumn) season... excellent time of year for exploring!

Reactions: JeepingMike

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

We just spent 4 days out in SE Oklahoma in 100 degree heat with heat index as high as 110. A misting spray bottle and a Dewalt 20v fan in the shade was enough to keep us safe (notice I didn't say comfortable). You'll go through way less water with a spray bottle than you will sweating it out. Stay hydrated and it's not all that bad.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

This group has experience in the wild and weather. Nice to hear from you.
Just spent some time in the Canyons of Texas, the heat was 111!
:(

• Wow
Reactions: TCorona

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Map of average July temps. Daytime times are brutal in the southernmost states, but a breezy 80° after the sun has gone down really isn't bad.

View attachment 235483

All im getting from the map is do not move east of the rockies and do not go south of Idaho... to much heat!

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Here in NW Florida camping in the summer time is a rarity, just too hot & humid for sleeping at night. It can be ok in the shade with a breeze or a fan but they really need to come up with a small A/C that cool the tent for sleeping at night. We're at least 4-5 hours to any decent elevation so if I did decide to camp in the summer time I'd do that.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'll do summer camping, but it's not my favorite. When I lived in SOCAL I camped year round as much as I could, but I also had access to mountains in 20-30 minutes and the desert in about 90 minutes. I moved back to Texas in 2016 and lost out on all that and really given my job and time off I can't just regularly take the day or two drive to get to somewhere nicer weather wise. The closest I got is a 3-hour drive to the Broken Bow/Mena area of Oklahoma and Arkansas, and during the summer it's still blazing hot/humid up there, and you are fighting the ticks off with everything you have. I still make the trip during the summer, but I try to find a dispersed spot close to a creek or something similar.

When it gets that miserable to be out, it's a lot less fun.

• Sad
Reactions: TCorona

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

I'll do summer camping, but it's not my favorite. When I lived in SOCAL I camped year round as much as I could, but I also had access to mountains in 20-30 minutes and the desert in about 90 minutes. I moved back to Texas in 2016 and lost out on all that and really given my job and time off I can't just regularly take the day or two drive to get to somewhere nicer weather wise. The closest I got is a 3-hour drive to the Broken Bow/Mena area of Oklahoma and Arkansas, and during the summer it's still blazing hot/humid up there, and you are fighting the ticks off with everything you have. I still make the trip during the summer, but I try to find a dispersed spot close to a creek or something similar.

I hear ya!

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

What about the coast, is there any relief along the coast of Texas, I have family in Central Texas and they say the summers are awful...

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

People die in Death Valley yearly from the heat. The other day it was 102F for the low at Badwater after a high of 120F. That is relentless heat and evaporation. No matter where you go take precautions to come home alive.

Reactions: Downs

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
This week was the first time this year the Michigan Upper Peninsula made it over 50. If you get too hot, jump in the 30 degree lake. Ever single decent campground has waterfront spots.

In June, you'll have every state campground to yourself. The mayflies make for cool pets.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Elevation is the cure for heat..... this is at 6700 feet in August.

DSC_0110.jpg

Reactions: Tommys